Register now to get rid of these ads!

ridiculous influx of recent barnfinds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by doctorZ, Jul 28, 2009.

1. doctorZ

doctorZ

Is it that I just happen to be noticing it more, or have barnfinds become a whole lot more common over the last 6 months to a year? I don't think I have heard nearly as many barn find stories on the HAMB as I have in recent months.

From my end, it just seems like more people are willing to sell now than ever. In the last 8 months, we have picked up two 1932 roadsters, the infamous P38 belly tank and two 1939 Cadillac convertible projects all shop projects in terrific condition.

Is it the poor economic times or just old people getting old and giving up on projects? None of the people I have dealt with seemed hard-up for cash, but they hadn't been willing to sell in the past.

wtf?
    -drZ

2. around here ,last summer when farming was bad and scrap metal was HIGH,alot of the farmers scrapped rows of old iron(cars,trucks,tractors,implements-etc that we have been bidding on and they wanted to keep,but they were worth alot to them as scrap to keep gas in the FS tank and diesel in their pickups I guess

3. Joe Johnston

Joe Johnston
    from Ohio

Same here in Ohio Many are cleaning up the scrap and guys are selling their toys. I've been buying and figure its better than my 401K!!!!! Locally a small farm was littered with lots of heavy equipment and they have made major progress in cleaning up this summer. Look at some of the tools and cars/parts that are available here and on some of the online sale and auction sites and anything under the sun is available for sale.

4. sephgato

sephgato
    from fenton

I actually have had the good fortune of getting to know about 7 older gents in my area, all of them have 6-10 cars in their garage which are covered in 1/4" of dust. old hot rods from days gone by for them. These guys are in there 70's and 80's and simply like to go in their garages and look at them, tinker with a straight 6 out of a 53 ford that will never be finished and so forth. point is, a lot of guys have this stuff, you just have to meet them. The posts that I like are the ones that have something about the thing being a 60's drag car.............come on!

5. R&C Lee

R&C Lee
    from SoCal

Here's one I saw this afternoon.

Attached Files:

6. one of the reasons "barn finds" are being mentioned more and more is probably because more barns are being noticed, due to the fact that more "barn finds" are being mentioned.

7. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

combination of factors..

exponential growth of the HAMB means that it reaches further out into the old car world..ever noticed most of the Barn find posts are by new members?
    'there arent more barn finds, we just hear about more of them' would be the argument here.

The guys that loved old cars in the fifties, and collected them when they were cheap, are now dying off, so more and more will pop up over the next few years, then it will go really dry again, as the old guys who were into this stuff in the sixties tended to chop and change cars more, and the mentality of keeping something forever with no real need for it faded..

I guess development of rural areas close to cities has something to do with it too.

8. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I can remember when there were only 38 items on ebay under 'rat rod', and you couldn't hardly find anything under 'barn find'...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. doctorZ

doctorZ

nice coupe, i'll take it!

10. It's a lot of factors, unfortunately the biggest one I've noticed is death.

I had a 'barn find' of my own recently, but I didn't bother posting it. A fellow I used to work for was a major pack-rat and passed away leaving behind a bunch of trucks spanning from the 20's through the 80's. Most were piled under a heap of other junk.

I don't know what the mentality is with some older folks and them not wanting to part with certain things. I think a big part of it has to do with the Great Depression.

11. screwball

screwball

I would rather see the finds than have them disappear with no posts or knowledge.

12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Very cool.

13. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some of them aren't barn finds, like the thread about seeing someones car collection? I mean why label that as a barn find!

14. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

barn find is the new IT word .if its not in some falling down ,covered in crap ,no one has seen it in 40+ years .than its just a stored car in someones "barn"also known as garage...

15. Mabey were getting closer to the end times and this is one of those signs.......

16. All I ever find in barns is meth labs...

17. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Holy Shit?

18. Looks like an old R&C cover car............;)

19. I'm thinking it has something to do with spring-summer, warm weather, out driving around, talking to folks at the coffee shop, cruze nights, etc.

Who does that kind of stuff in January and February. Folks south of I-20 need not reply.

20. manyolcars

manyolcars

'Barn Find' is just a current buzzword.
    If you come over and look at the cars in my shop, its NOT a 'barn find'.

Most of these cars are not 'lost' and therefore are not 'found'.

21. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

DING.....DING......DING........... We have a winner.:eek::cool::D

Frank

22. Dyce

Dyce

I'm developing a special spy glass that will see through the wooden wall of a barn. I already developed a spyglass that will see through metal buildings but it went through the cars as well:(

23. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I liked the earlier Barnfind post You know with the picture of the barn.Barn finds are cool but moisture and temperature's still take their toll on these cars.

24. R&C Lee

R&C Lee
    from SoCal

Good eye. It's not in a barn (we don't have many of those in SoCal) but it is in a wood building that's over 70 years old.

25. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

==========================
    Which "Great Depression"?? This one or the last one??? :eek:
    mart
    ==================================================

26. squirrel

squirrel

Old guy I know is always putting his latest old car purchase into his barn...I guess when I see them a month later it's a "barn find"!

27. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

There was the Great Depression in the 30s until WWII.
    There is now the Obama Depression in the 2000s until forever if we don't watch out.

Old cars will be banished if we don't watch out.
    Health care will be banished if we don't watch out.

The people voted, the people will vote again in 2010.

Maybe we can save our hobby if any of us are left.

28. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

I'm sure it has something to do with dryer sheets. It can get expensive if all your doing is replacing them on regular basis. That's gotta be it, they're tired of spending money on dryer sheets.:D

29. Along with the barn find are the dreaded words; "Me and the boy are gonna fix her up reeeaaal nice someday."

30. Artie B

Artie B

a gentleman recently killed his family and himself on the street adjacent to my work and we just recieved flyers on the upcoming auction of the house and belongings...even tho this car is not in our era of topic its still a find and shows that there is so much out there hidden away....its a 1996 Impala SS with 501 miles on her. A good find for a modern day classic