Register now to get rid of these ads!

Murano pearl?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rocket8, Jul 28, 2009.

1. rocket8

rocket8
    from antioch CA

snagged a jar of it, and i need some info. any and all info. process of spraying, shelf life (yes its very old, but everything still looks good inside) im really in the dark on this pearl, and there is very limited info online where i looked. so any info at all would help out a lot. thanks!

2. If it is real Murano pearl it should be in a jar marked with the name of the Mearl Corporation of New York.What color is it?As I recall there were about 5 or 6 different colors.
    Should be used over either a white or black base for best results.The black base makes it show up better.
    As to measuring,I used one of those old McDonald coffee stirring spoons(before they discontinued them after learning people were using them to snort coke) and used 1-2 spoons full per quart of reduced clear.That should be plenty to get a nice radiance.

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Everything safariknut said. Less is more. You can always add more but trust me, and Ray, be conservative. All the worst blah ugly pearl jobs are a result of 'if some's good more's better' thinking. Do a test panel. My approach is similar to safari's but I use a toungue depressor (a big popsicle stick). I dip it into the pearl and scrape it almost completely off the stick, or tap it off if it's dry pearl, and then stir your clear mixture with that stick. Usually 2 double wet even coats get it done and then on to straight clear which really makes it pop.

Pearl should compliment the color and the body lines, not dominate them. Also that mat'l should be able to mix into any type of clear if it's Murano but it may have been initially designed for lacquer, and most lacquer based products will mix into anything with zero faults or problems.

4. skullhat

skullhat

murano is the real deal........hok repacked the stuff for years

it should have a label, such as myhp, mbhp,. etc wich will tell ya the color.
    the one to search for is zhpb , outlawed since like '72 or so.

pearl can be sprayed over any color, obvioulsy some go together better than others.

as for shelf life, it needs to be stored in a cool dry spot, with the lid secure, and wrapped with electrical tape or similar. if it gets to hot , or humid, the crystals( or whatever they are called) stick together and the effect isnt as good. as said , murano will mix with most clears.

the darker the color, the less you will need for effect, and sometimes a toner mixed in with the clear helps the effect.
    ligher colors require a bunch, even a jar for the frozen look. you can be sparing on dark colors like black, but with pastels, you will need more.

stay away from using it with metallics, just wasting the pearl

skull

5. Key word in Highlander's post is "most" .... do a test panel or test fridge or test tool box or something and call me and I will come stripe it or something...

6. Maybe you will have to mail it - see'n how you are on the left coast...

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I picked up 2 lb. jars of it a long time ago, it's a kind of paste. I've got a gold flip and a red flip. The modern pearls don't look anything like the old stuff, use it carefully, and enjoy! Like the others said, use sparingly, over a white base, mixed into whatever clear you're using, and cover with straight clear.
    It's a GREAT find!

8. Weasel

Weasel

It's outlawed because it is basically crushed colored glass with abalone shell, from the Island of Murano, which is suspended in lead salt. Murano is famous for it's glass blowing, since the 9th century AD - a tad over 1000 years and the longest established glass blowing industry in the world.

9. You will also find that abalone shell(as well as paua and regular pearl)has one other nasty ingredient:that beautiful transparent green color in the nacre is none other than arsenic!The bad part about that is if the shell is ground,the dust can be ingested and cause all kinds of problems.And it is a "cumulative" substance in that the body will not disperse it but rather allow it to build up over the years.Lead has the same properties.
    Found this out while repairing some pearl knife handles;the dust made me extremely ill.What really scares me is when I see women wearing jewelry such as earrings and pendants made from this stuff.The material will actually migrate through the outer layer of skin much like cyanide based paints are prone to do.

10. Fu-Manchu

Fu-Manchu
    from az

So is this the re-badged version from HOK?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. eric

eric

12. Doesnt look anything like the labels on the 6 different jars I have.

13. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Don't use it !!! send it to me !!!!

14. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

My buddy that does my striping and lettering was cleaning out his mothers garage a few years ago and was getting rid of alot of his automotive paints and donated all of it to my cause and these jars were included with his donation.....Rich

Attached Files:

15. HELLMET

HELLMET

thats the real deal there^

16. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

i used it on this nova with the help over the phone with Nat Quick as we recreated a car he did in 69 in okc. we cut it with laquer thinner for about three days and let the butter seperate out on it and drained off the liqued and then used a touch of it in ppg intercoat as a lace over the hok magenta we shot 3 coats of it to get this lace effect ... we hunted all over for it as it was what he used then and had to use it to be correct... good luck... I tried a couple of test panels with dri pearl and just wasnt right , would not change like the murano would.

Attached Files:

17. 350.00 ebay from house of color. They said enough to do two cars.

18. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

Murano pearl was marketed primarily to the cosmetics industy. Ever hear of Merle Norman? The holy grail of merle pearls is ZDJ. Happy Hunting!

19. chinbeard

chinbeard
    from Hull UK

No glass, no abalone it's made from fish scales