Register now to get rid of these ads!

No Juice From Generator To Battery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bman416, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Bman416

Bman416

1956 Bel Air. I don't know why all of a sudden in the last couple weeks that the battery is not getting charged. Took the generator and voltage regulator in to be tested and both are fine. The generator is charging but the charge isn't getting to the battery. After looking at this and testing that the gentleman told me i have a wiring problem-the blue wire off the starter that goes into the fire wall then who knows where. The blue wire is butt connected on the firewall. I checked the connection and it seems to be fine. He told me i should look for a wiring schematic for the car. I can try to follow the wire and see if there is a bad connection somewhere. I'm no good at wiring so i'm just looking for suggestions and opinions. Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

It's almost impossible to diagnose an electrical problem on here when you know that someone else has been in there cutting and butt connecting the wiring. It could be a lot of things. Often poor repairs by a PO. Butt connectors can feel secure but still have corrosion inside that breaks the connection. Bad connection = no charging. Butt connectors are a sure sign of a poor repair. IMHO

If it was working then I'd run new wires following the old ones. A reproduction shop manual will have the wiring diagram.