Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone know who cut curved glass?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevrolet150, Jul 27, 2009.

1. chevrolet150

chevrolet150

I put my gasser project on hold for now and bought a 57 4-dr hard top to play with for fun. The gasser is not going to be all that family freindly... so anyway I have this other 57 now sitting in my shed I am about to drop the 265 in it (I had asked about that earilier) after the firwall gets a good coat of paint( white...car will be a aqua pearl). Any way my question is...while tearing into this thing to clean, paint and throw it back together I have run across so serious rust in the roof and rear window areas. The question is where can I get a glass cut or made as I want to chop it 4 inches but not sink the winshield like I have done in the past. I want to also put a removable carson style top with a little mail slot rear glass in it. I plan on popping a mold off the roof with the rear glass in place so i can make a duplicate it in fiberglass so the top will be lite. When off i would have a 4-dr convert and when on it would have a cool sled like look to it. It is either this or ????trash the project. I was doing the car with a kustom theme to it. Does anyone know who can cut the winsheild for this application before I start this kind of mod. Tim

2. Talk to Phat Caddy on here

3. dirty petcock

dirty petcock

I'm not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure you can cut front glass just not side glass. Well glass on late model cars. The front on this '35 is out of a newer Ford Ranger. Use a regular glass cutter rubbing Alc. and some wide mouth vice grips. score the glass start the break then pour some Alc. in and light it up. This will burn the laminate then you can finish the break. Some 80grit and a lot of water on the belt sander. Like I said i'm not sure about old car glass, I never did it but that's how to do late model glass.

Attached Files:

4. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Who cuts curved glass? You do, get yourself a sandblaster and etch a line right through it.

If you can chop the top, then I don't think that cutting down the glass should be out of your skill range.

5. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Sand blast through slow and easy.

6. PhatCaddy

PhatCaddy

Tri-Valley Glass in Livermore, CA
    Ask for Tony Gomes
    Tell him Brian with the 57 gold caddy told you to call him
    They are the best

B

7. chevrolet150

chevrolet150

Thanks, I am not afraid of much but this I am afraid to try myself. Them curved glasses aint cheep.

8. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Make a cardboard template of your new windshield (post chop), make the template about a 1/4 inch smaller.

Now tape the template to your windshield, make a nice edge with duct tape (to make up for the 1/4 inch difference). Layer the duct tape a couple of times, like 3 layer should be enough. Fire up your sand blaster and etch a line along the edge of the duct tape (if it starts to wear away just add another layer of tape). Keep the sandblaster moving from one side of the glass to the other, staying in one spot too long will cause heat from the friction and crack the glass.

Etch a line through one side, flip and repeat. Then cut the safety plastic in between and polish the egde with a belt sander. Use a Silicon Carbide belt (this is the only belt that wont wear out after like 5 minutes) and a spray bottle to keep it cool.

It'll take you all day, but it's pretty much fool proof.