Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A roll down rear window help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bikertrash, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

I'm looking for some help in figuring out how to install a roll down window for my 1930 Model A Coupe. I ordered the kit from Sacramento Vintage Ford and the parts came. The instructions are laughable. I think it was typed in India. (Not that there's anything wrong with that...) No pictures and only one poorly drawn diagram. I really expected more from SVF... Has anyone ever put one of these kits in their A? I'm interested in pictures, diagrams, or any other advise that anyone has. I've never seem the guts installed and have no reference point. Also the kit says that I need to have a new window cut. I'm wondering if that is acurate or not. I've looked on the internet and previous HAMB posts but have had no luck. Thanks for any help you could offer.

Attached Files:

2. Big Tony

Big Tony

ot I but here's a BTT

3. I installed one in a '31 Coupe 20 years ago (long before "kits" were available). I got the directions from a copy of "The Restorer" (Model A Ford Club of America mag). Back then you had to have a sheet metal shop fabricate the drain pan for the lowered window to rest in. The window regulator was the same as a sedan rear door (passenger side, if I recall). The window crank was the same as used on the quarter window of a 4-door town sedan. The window glass will need to be longer from top to bottom to allow for the regulator channel to attach to the bottom of the glass. Also, the top corners of the glass should have a slight radius to prevent them from "snagging" on the window channel when the glass is being raised. I no longer own that car, so I can't take pics for you. Good luck with your install. The roll down window and tilt-out winshield were Henry's factory air conditioning!

Jim

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have one to install too.
    The Restorer article is no help

Attached Files:

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I wonder if this type of conversion could be done to a Tudor?

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

Why not?

7. mobile chicane

mobile chicane

How about a pick-up? - ahh, skip it - space is at a premium already.

8. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I've done a couple, winged it. First slave in the regulator board with space enough for the glass and the regulator mechnism. If the regulator board doesn't fit, I would modify the vertical members to accomodate it, not modify the regulator board too much. Remove the board. Next, hang the glass channels in place with tape. Measure the distance between the glass channels and get the glass cut to fit. Then hang the glass in the channels in place to assure it will go up and down without being too snug, and/or not too loose. That done, attach the channels (along with glass) permanently. Some people tack the channels in place, I prefer to use liquid nails.

For me, the hard work was getting the upholstery out of the way without messing it up, then getting the garnish molding and upholstering back in place.

9. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

I installed one in my 31 coupe a few years ago. I am a much better carpenter than metal man. Lay everything out and figure where it goes. Start with the top piece and then do the sides. The width of the glass dictates how wide apart the sides should be. They also must be parallel. As I remember I removed a lot of wood and trimmed some of the metal supports. Watch the length of the screws- it is real easy to penetrate the metal. It is worth it and I really like the one in my coupe. GOOD LUCK!

10. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

Thanks for the help. I will try to assemble it as best I can. The guys at Sacramento Vintage Ford said that "It's an industry problem" He went on to say that the people who made the kit got "A's" in shop but "D's" in english. When you've never seen how they are installed a picture would do a world of good. I suppose I am more of a visual learner anyhow. I will try to post some pics once it is done.

11. I look forward to pics. I have been thinking about doing this in my truck.

12. manyolcars

manyolcars

Where are you getting the window fuzzies?

13. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

Whassa window fuzzie?

14. motorvation

motorvation
    from Colorado

I can't seem to show a link to a pic I snapped this weekend of a roll down in raw form but I could e-mail it. Was in a 32. Shoot me at [email protected]

15. Sundance33

Sundance33

I just salvaged the electric rear window out of a '78 Suburban for the back glass on a pickup. I think the same unit could be used for a Model A. It shouldn't be much different from a manual installation.

16. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

Anyone have any more info on these rear roll down windows?

17. 22Head

22Head

I know this is an Old post, but maybe this will help someone searching.

325w and Just Gary like this.