Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motor mount issue in my falcon...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by t-town-track-t, Jul 26, 2009.

1. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

I put new motor mounts in my falcon a little over a month ago because my old ones had sagged, and were torn. This was causing two issues, the motor could rock under load, which then caused the clutch linkage to pop off of the pivot located on the block, and the shifter linkage was now out of alignment and made it hard to shift into 3rd.

My car is a straight 6 car with a factory 3 speed column shift on it. The motor in question is a later model 200 C.I.D. out of a fairlane, but is built stock.

The new mounts I purchased are already shot. I do not drive the car excessively hard, and its not like we are talking about thousands of horse power either.

I had this same problem with the exact same set of mounts in a comet I had a few years back, neither set lasted much longer than a month.

Any ideas what I could do to help fix this? Putting mounts in my car once a month is not much of an option, and I'm not sure if buying them somewhere else will make much difference, as they are all probably from the same manufacturer.

I considered using a chain on the motor to keep it from rocking and tearing the mounts, but I really think that I would just be putting a bandaid on the issue, not fixing it.

2. I think it may be an issue of quality. I bought motor mounts from the shop that straightend my frame. 3000 miles and they broke. Now I drive my HotRod real hard all the time so I thought maybe it was my driving. Sooooooo I went to NAPA and bought new ones 10000 Miles and no problems. Your Call

3. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

Napa is where I have purchased both sets in question.

4. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I had a 65' Comet that had the same problem. It was a 289 4 spd car and it tore motor mounts faster than I could replace them. If your mounts are the same they look like plate steel on either side with rubber vulcanized in between.
    What I did was drill a 3/8" hole through the mount and ran a nut & bolt through it just snugging it up with locktight. I may have drilled 2 holes, it's been that long ago.
    Essentially your letting the rubber do it's job but limiting the amount of tension force that would tear the mount apart. After doing this I never had a motor mount problem again.

5. 62rebel

62rebel

IIRC old Bronco mounts are the same dimension but made better... that being said, finding a good set of old Bronco mounts ain't easy either. Anchor makes a pretty decent mount; never know where they're made until you open the box. i've had old ones i've swapped around last longer than new ones out of the box, too.

i think the makers regard older cars as a source of profit that we as owners don't use that much..... so they don't put much into the rep parts.
    all i can suggest is keep the reciepts and get them replaced under parts warranty next time.

6. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

Thanks for the suggestions, but keeping my receipts does not keep me from having to change my motor mounts once a month in my daily driver. And I thought about running a bolt through the mount, or chaining the motor, but that does not fix the issue of them sagging because the mount is torn.

Looks like I will most likely have to fab some of my own mounts.

7. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Fabricate a solid steel adapter plate to replace the shock mount.
    No downside; the great majority of 'rods use solid mounts. Clutch action will definately be smoother, always is with solid motor mounts compared to rubber shock mounted.

8. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

9. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

I'm running the early 62 mount, with the two studs on it. I was not aware of the issue with them. I suppose I could make a mount that uses the early donut style isolate in it. I hate to make a mount completely solid since its my daily driver, but I suppose it would not be much different than having my car as low as it is.

Thanks for the insight on the early mounts.

11. 62rebel

62rebel

change over to the single stud (63-up) type. you'll need the frame mount brackets and the mounts themselves but Mustangs use them and they are pretty common. i wasn't sure what type you were using and i've had those fail pretty often. it didn't occur to me that your car was older than mine, but i've frankensteined my '62 so much even IT doesn't know what it is.