Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lincoln V12 anyone running one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by texag09, Jul 25, 2009.

1. texag09

texag09

Ever since I started building cars I have wanted to build a 32 Roadster with a Lincoln v12. Is anyone out there got something like this, or seen something like this? Would love some pictures.The first one is from SEMA it has a V12 but you cant see it with the hood closed, the second one is from an actual lincoln just showing the motor.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mj40's

mj40's

Here is one in a friends Lincoln

Attached Files:

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Run it for looks alone. My 800cc snowmobile has bigger pistons.

4. gorilla

gorilla
    from Idaho

yeah those 12's were a bit anemic... that's why they went to the 337 in 49

5. Bullrack

Bullrack
    from Louisiana

Texag09, I've been hanging onto a stock v12 aluminum head for years. It was my Grandfather's that he had in what they called put-put skiffs. My Dad remembers when he was a kid that the engine locked up and my Grandfather pulled it and left it the riverbank. My Dad went back some 30 years later and only found the one aluminum head. I cleaned it up and hung it my shop wall, unbelieveably, it's still in great serviceable shape.

You being in Tx., did you see the Egay auction for the 303 Rocket in Wynne, Ar. last week? Complete engine from carb to pan, all there and went for $185. I was sick that I forgot to check on it that night. It had that price as a buy it now too. I'm building a 303 next when I'm done with this Desoto Hemi. I've got a Nailhead already, so the Rocket is next.

6. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

there not known for power but they look cool as heck!!!!!!!

7. ken1939

ken1939

Yes I too want to do a roadster with a V12, and want to ad a blower. (Roadrunner Engineering will make an intake etc) Sure it may not be a zoom zoom engine, but I still think it has a certain cool factor.

When I say Blown, I do not mean stump pulling. This engine wasnt designed for that. No difference than a street blower on some cars, just a little umpf.

I am sure the money would be well spent on a Cammer, Blown Flathead, or and Ardun conversion with a blower.

The beauty is to each his own.

8. Tesag09

I have a 32 with a V12 engine from a 1948 Lincoln. You can search the forum under Hot Rod Lincoln and you can see pictures of the car. Also you can visit my web site to see the car been built with the engine.You can call me on my cell if you want to talk. I am now as we speak building another V12 for a customer in Tucson for his 1938 Zephyr.

Thanks
    Frenchy

Website = www.frenchysrides.com
    Cell # ( 602 ) 7231047

9. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Not a successful engine but that 3 carb V12 sure looks good!

10. 2$ Bill

2$ Bill

A church group here in the Columbus Ohio area has a "C" Cab Model "T" rig with a flathead Lincoln V-12. It was a low dollar build but looks really cool. It draws a huge crowd where ever it is shown primarily because of the unique V-12 motor. I see it rather often. I'll try to get a photo for you.

I think the V-12 would look COOL in anything. Go for it!

11. Frank Reichling has a V12 in his T coupe. They're not known for power or reliability, there's a reason that so many Zephyr's had their v12's replaced with V8's and then Cad motors when they came out.

The dual carb intake on Frank's v12 came out of my 38 Zephyr coupe.

12. texag09

texag09

Yea I saw it but I am out of a job right now so couldn't jump, got plenty of time to go pick it up just no money haha.

13. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

Pete & Jakes is building a deuce with one right now.

14. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I saw a Lincoln v-12 at the Springfield Mo. swapmeet last year under $900. Prolblem was no intake, no exhaust, no dizzy.

15. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I've wanted one in a rod forever. IMHO some of the coolest motors you can have in a rod is a flathead straight 8 or a flathead 12.

16. john walker

john walker

waiting for the proper donor vehicle.

Attached Files:

17. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

I agree, I'm building a speedster on a '25 Dodge frame with a 240ci Olds Straight 8...I wish I had a v12, I'd toss it in the Whippet frame I have and build another speedster...that would be sweet...

18. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

That sounds really nice. The Olds motor has a very nice square shape. I'm thinking a Pontiac or nine-bolt Packard straight eight for my next rod because these motors also have what I consider to be the right look.

19. manyolcars

manyolcars

20. Dr. Frankensickle

Dr. Frankensickle
    from Kansas

And a knocking front main bearing,I talked to the dude who owned it.Ive got one in pieces.

21. Weasel

Weasel

Here's Rod Hadfield's blown Lincoln V12 - he ran it around SoCal while he was here on a one year sabbatical from Oz - drove the wheels off it.

[​IMG]

22. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

A Packard would be pretty cool.. I like the one a guy has on here in a little roadster, I think it's got a McCulloch on it? There's a vid. of it on Youtube too...sounds real good...

My Olds need a McCulloch....yes...yes it does....

23. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Did they ever make a marine version? I would like to run one in this woody.............

Attached Files:

24. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Not only a lack of power but they were known for running hot as well. PM me when you're ready. I've got a close friend with a yard full of em. If you want the 3 x 2 intake and fiined heads they are still produced by the Kearney Foundry in San Jose Ca. Ken Austin was playing with the idea of blower intakes for the V12. I had one of his 2 x 2 V12 intakes and they are a work of art.

25. Alfster

Alfster

These from the HAMB. Don't know who it belongs to but it sure is cool,

Attached Files:

26. helmsville

helmsville

mine is being asembled right now. im going to do a up date on my zephyr build soon, so stay tuned.

27. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

picking up 3 have sold 6,,have dealt with running ones. They are neat,,and have there own lil ways about them.. as mentioned lil pistons etc,,not HP beasts by any means they like oil,,lol,,,they are good for Sunday drives and all but for daily use with teh cost of rebuild and any hotrod type parts,,you might wanna think of options. I have heard that at one point Dealerships actually pulled them out of the Lincolns and replaced them with Flat 8's..so that right there kinda says something

28. henryj429

henryj429

I spent a good deal of time researching these V12s before abandoning ship on the V12 in my Zephyr. Very little of the good modern flathead technology is available in V12 parts. You can get maybe get 250Hp out of a $10,000+ engine. Looks cool, but sure won't light the world on fire in a 4500lb car.

29. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

There's a guy about 45 miles from us who runs one...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

I was in a V12 powered `39 Lincoln Zephyr Conv Coupe yesterday. A friend of mine owns it and is in the process of fixing it up. I've driven and ridden in the car and I can tell you first hand that the V12 is a very nice running engine. It is linear and smooth even if you accellerate from a 2nd gear creep. I've been to 60 mph in the car and it is loafing at that speed, I think you could easily cruise at 75 or 80 without a Columbia. I don't know what people expect from antique engines. The V12's were'nt replaced by the 337 because they were bad. They were replaced because the entire car line changed along with the configuration of the engine compartment. Who else in America was building V12's up to 1948? All the mud that gets slung at Lincoln V12s about unreliability is probably bullshit. They probably had some weaknesses when abused but I doubt they would come into play when in the care of an automotive enthusiast. As far as power goes who knows? How many people have built them as hot rod engines? Sure they are small bore but there are more of `em. There is 4 cyls more worth of valve area for comparable displacement. I think it would be a lot of fun to warm one up a little and see what it could do in a Roadster. In a lightweight car I think a big difference in the personality of the engine could be had by taking advantage of say an aluminum flywheel and a set of 12 low drag and light weight 3 ring pistons. A little more compression and a couple carbs, I think that would be special.