Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. colesy

colesy

More on Ronnie Broadhead from 1963. Here he is at the Medera Calf. NHRA points meet resetting the C/Stock national record @13.56 / 105.26. Engine by H.L. Shahan is on the front fender.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  2. colesy

colesy

Also from 1963, here's Jack Clifford from Los Angeles and his record holding Hudson. Power comes from a 308 cu.in. 60 over 6 cylinder with the famous Twin H manifold set-up.

Attached Files:

3. colesy

colesy

4. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Here are two pictures of the John Barkley 1957 Chevy Stockers. Barkley 1 is the 1968 Winternationals winner. Barkley 2 is the 1970 Indy class winner. Barkley 2 was sold to Gene Wheeler in March of 1971 and became "The Tuff Texan"

Attached Files:

5. rj64

rj64
    from charlotte

Gary, were you still partner's with Joe on the Challenger that followed the Roadrunner?

6. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

No. Will post his name when I can think of it or maybe someone else can tell you. I think his name was Rudy. He had a 65 Hemi car.

7. 6-71

6-71

I remember back when Dick Bailey was a well known driver on the local dirt track scene.My dad used to cover the local race tracks for the newspaper,so I got to go to a lot of races and sit in the "press box". I had family in Grove City for many years and lived there for a short time.:)

8. Tony Janes -any shots of the In-Bomber in your collection??
    -Dean

Attached Files:

9. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

That would be Rudy Schings( not sure of the spelling of the last name)

10. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

No pictures of the " In Bomber"

Attached Files:

11. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

I called Johnny because he did the article. That is what he said. He was not sure of spelling so I didn't attempt it.

12. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Anyone have info on Dwyers R3 63 Lark SS/IA ? I heard it went to a bracket racer but never was seen again. Thanks for the update on the Gator. Sure wish I could buy it for $1000 now. Got my butt kicked more times then I could count in Junior Stock by the Gator but We won a few too.

13. Mike Virgin

Mike Virgin

Hello
    I love this site. Brings back so many memories from when I was young and reminds me of names and stories I have heard my father tell. My dad was Royce Virgin who raced in division 7 from 1965-1971.
    I am trying to get him to send me his scrap book so I can scan some photos into this page. He has a serious collection of mostly division 7 photos. Pictures from the Winter nationals, Riverside, OCIR, Fremont, Carlsbad, Irwindale, Boise and Salt Lake City.
    Many of the pictures are of cars I see on here.

14. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

Welcome aboard Mike . I know your Dad.. Bill Beam and Clyde Pitkin were also great Salt Lake City racers . I believe your Dad was racing as recently as 2000.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  15. colesy

colesy

Welcome to the group Mike. Looking forward to seeing some of those photos!!!

16. Mike Virgin

Mike Virgin

I know those guys very well. Bill Beam is living in Illinois. Clyde Pitkin passed away a few years ago. My dad did run a few NHRA points meets until 2000 and then he bracket raced here and there until selling his race car 3 years ago.

17. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Great pic! I can just imagine it being flat-towed behind that Pontiac.

18. colesy

colesy

Tulsa 1965 round by round Junior Stock coverage...........

Attached Files:

19. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Did anyone else notice that B/FX and C/FX was running in Jr. Stock eliminator with the stockers:eek:?

20. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Yes, I noticed it but didn't think much about it. Like most evolving entities, Junior Stock had some genetic aberrations and mutations and that particular year must have had a couple more than usual. I remember B/FX and C/FX being in Street Eliminator most of the time but, I seem to recall that they were subject to tear-down just like Stockers at that time. One thing is apparent, they didn't seem to dominate the field although they were noticeably quicker.

c

21. brandon

brandon

a customer of mine was telling me a story the other day . he and another guy were driving the tow car home, with a 62 nova on the towbar behind them , the owner behind the wheel of the nova. he tells me , we were going up old taylor mill road (curvy to say the least...:D) when , they hear the owner , fire up the nova , half way up...... the 65 impala 4dr was no match for the nova with a 377 and 4 speed and 4.88's. he said they were they were everyway but straight , as the owner shoved them up the hill. crazy stuff:D

22. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I remember when The Old Reliable (A/FX) won Little Eliminator at Indy in 1963 he ran Jim Wangers in the Royal Pontiac (B/FX) in the final. Its a little "fuzzy" to me (most things are now....lol) as late 65 was about the time I was invited to a south east asian "vacation" and wasnt able to keep up much. I wondered if they ran the 7 inch tires in 65 or did they use larger tires? The A/FX cars ran 10 inch tires in 63. Im not sure about the B/FX and C/FX cars. Tom Sturm ran on 7 inch tires in 1962 with a C/FX Chevy Belair. Does anyone have any 63 to 65 rule books?

23. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

At 14.12, but just 79.29 MPH Spider was (seriously) on the brakes on that first-round run. I know it posted more than a few mid-high thirteens over the years, but I'd really luv to know just what was the quickest ever run for the Bill Spanakos Monster Mash II car.

Methinks that on a good day with everything 'spot on,' and at a 'sticky' track like Suffolk or Cecil it might very-well have seen twelve nines!

[​IMG]

24. colesy

colesy

NHRA Junior Stock Divisional Leaders for 1965. From Aug. 27th National Dragster.

Attached Files:

25. colesy

colesy

26. 65deluxe

65deluxe

The car pictured ran as quick as a 13.60 where as The Monster Mash II that followed it went a best of 13.34 @ 102.78.
    Spider, his body may be failing but his mind remembers well.

27. 270283

As I said several pages back, you didn't want to come up against The Monster Mash during time trials in your brand new musclecar back in the sixties!

28. biscaynes

biscaynes

it's no wonder the monster mash had such a great rep.
    mid 13s with a near stock 265 with 2 bit sized valves. :cool:

29. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Hey speaking of Tom Sturm, does anyone have photos of his '62 C/FX Bel Air? I think I've only ever seen one photo of that much talked about car and can't remember where it was.

30. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Was this car not a Bel Air powered by an FI 327 Corvette motor?

c

Attached Files: