Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody from Pomona remember this gasser?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gup, Dec 16, 2008.

1. jangleguy

jangleguy

Ernie Nicholson's Super Stude is sitting in Dr. Lockjaw's shop, up here in Oregon. He's been restoring the body and it's sitting on a fresh chassis (the original was just too gone). It had a blown Hemi/TF, but has a BBC/Glide for now.

My heart stopped when I saw yours, as they're very similar. The one we have has a one piece 'glass nose though. Who knows how many Super Studes he built. It's been very hard finding any info on Ernie and his cars. We heard he worked at (or owned) a gas station in the LA area. We checked on a black drag racer's site, but still no solid info.

Best of luck on yours. I'll contact Dr. Lockjaw about it - you guys need to talk...

Scotty

2. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Well I started asking some old time Pomona boys about the Garey High School car. Nobody knew anything about it. The Advanced speed and marine was another story. Was told that a guy named Steve Zalowski ( Not sure of last name or spelling) had a shop in La Verne. I was told he moved the business to where the present day Future Marine is in Upland and sold the speed shop. They tell me he was a pretty good fabricator. His competition in the area was some guy named Warren BROGIE. I will keep asking the old guys as they stop by to chat. Hope this helps

ca likes this.
  3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

That must be the Shell Station at Adams and Vermont.

4. jangleguy

jangleguy

Precicely. BTW, I called Dr. Lockjaw today about this, but was only able to leave a message. Maybe he'll check in here soon. A good info exchange would benefit all parties...

5. "some guy named BROGIE"....He was one of the best fab guys in the biz he built alotta cars including stuff for Shewsberry,I dealt with him when I bought the Knotsberry farm BerryWaggon........one hell of a guy

ca likes this.
  6. Awesome leads guys...Gup you reading this?

7. gup

gup
    from Washington

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate all your help on this. The Super Stude is not mine. I wish it was, that thing is BAD ASS

8. Hope you don't mind if I put up a few more pics? These might help show some more details...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. gup

gup
    from Washington

I didn't know you had those. Thanks Keith

10. I didn't either. I thought I had lost them in one of my many computer crashes,,,but no. hope they help

11. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Yea he was pretty damn good. A friend of mine got the last roadster chassis Warren built. He never finished it and when he die he left it to his partner. Should be complete and ready to race very soon.

12. Damn nice find.....wish it were mine!

13. John M

John M

The Super Stude is a 41. Your ex gasser is either a 39 or 40 Champion. In 41 Studebaker moved the cowl vent from on top to the sides. The 39 Champion had trim above the outside door handle. In 40 they moved it to line up with the door handle. Maybe you can see where the trim holes used to be on the inside of the door skins.

Hope this helps.

John

14. 5w32

5w32

15. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Not trying to thread jack.
    What yellow rail is in the opening pics with this car. Is thier more pics of this car?
    On topic now. Im suprised that more info hasent popped up with how uniqe a Stude gasser from Pomona would be.

16. 5w32

5w32

still looking for more info on the 40 coupe........any more leads?

anyone have better detail photos of the white car from beeline , i still think it might be the same car...........

Attached Files:

17. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

The rear fender radius job looks identical to the blue car but the white car doesn't have the cowl vent between the door and hood and the blue car has what looks like a lower door hinge where the white car's door hinge seems lower and the curve of the lower body below the door is different. Different side trim too. The rear curvature of the front fenders is different too, as is the front radius of the front fender wheel opening. I think they are two different cars.

18. bigmitch

bigmitch

advance speed and marine used to be on vincent ave. in west covina,,just down from where bobs big boy used to be,,now it is i think applebees? or another restaurant i believe it closed down in the late eighties,,,,,,,,,,,,,"brogie" brogie race cars just off of irwindale avenue in irwindale,dont know if they are still around either. i used to live in covina and in high school "edgewood" had a 67 ss350 camaro,that i used to run at irwindale in the late 70's, and traveled around the san gabriel valley alot. i have a lot of great memories of irwindale raceway,,,sneaking to almost every big race i attended,,,,,hahaha the good old days !!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  19. 61 chevy

61 chevy

wonder why the grill is closed off, want it run hot ? :confused:

20. scrape

scrape

has to be the same car as the white one..... rear fender opens the same,,, alum grill,, towbar mounts,,, hood scoop...
    have you found any remnants of white paint????

21. bigmitch

bigmitch

the white one has four lug front and a different scoop,,,but close.i think they are different cars,,does the interior look like the white one?

22. 5w32

5w32

the white car at beeline is a 40 champion coupe , my blue car is a 40 champion coupe and ernie's superstude is a 41 champion coupe

the car has had a few different air intakes , it also has a cool old cowl induction setup at the center of the windshield .

it has a 40 ford axle with no front brakes and corvair steering box , the front end is welded together and tilts on nice pivots( comes off quick) , there is a nice fabricated tow eye for a tow strap

i bought the car from gup about 2 months ago( thanks gup for making my gasser dream come true) and would like to return it to its glory when it was blue with pinstriped panels , there is some orange, red oxide primer and yellow in the layers of paint.(i don't see any white yet...it could have been stripped i guess) i don't want to do very much to it until i see more history photos and get more original details. i will need as much help as i can get!

for now the car is going to have a 471 blown 327 with 2 carters and a th400

i just bought a pair of 15 x 4 crestlines for the front and would like to find some 15 x 10 chromies for the rear , the rear fenders are radiused for 32" tall tires.

Attached Files:

23. 5w32

5w32

some other photos

Attached Files:

24. 5w32

5w32

thanks for the info about advance speed and marine ,i am going to the gnrs in a couple of weeks and would like to do more info mining when i'm there . do you know anyone else who might know more about advance? or a car from the shop? a photo or address of the building or who operated the business?

25. roughneck424

roughneck424

26. scrape

scrape

it def a pro built car.... there has to be someone who remembers it.....