Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any HAMBERS in the navy? kinda ot

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LarzBahrs, Jul 21, 2009.

1. chevy3755

chevy3755

Served on a carrier as a picture taker.......liked it all

2. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Right on Doc, I understand totally. That is terrible they would treat each other that way. Thanks for clarifying, I appreciate it!

Congratulations to both you and your son!!

3. Another thing to think about. The Navy Nuke program has a VERY high attritrion rate. Find out your options if you don't make it through nuke school. Like was said earlier, if you go nuke you have a very good chance of going on subs. A very different world. I sped 20 years in the Navy. No regrets but like any other job good days and bad, But I saw more places,drank more beer and banged more strange than most can hope for in a lifetime. I was able to "retire" at 38 and move on to a second career with a ok pension and MEDICAL for life. All and all it was time well spent. Todd

4. Hambone64

Hambone64

You got a 96 on the ASVAB? Seek employment elsewhere! Go to a good school now. Take it in the ass with the loans and tuition, get a REAL job when you get out, and be BANKING it in about 7 years. Versus a few years in the Navy, using your GI Bill to go to a mediocre school that it will barely pay for, and wasting your time. Or join the reserves, go to school while your doing it, and occasionally wear blue. Your call.

LCpl Anthony Sayo, USMC

5. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

When you get that REAL job, you'll be fat for awhile. When you turn 50, and look a little too old for the powers that be, you'll be fired, no benefits, no insurance, no pay, and you'll be working at Walmart just to eat.
    The best thing that I ever did was to stay in that Navy for 20 years, and retire at the tender age of 38! pigpen :)

[​IMG]

6. I was in the Seabees (RNMCB24) from '80-'86, reserve status. I loved it!!
    I sometimes wish I would have gone regular and stayed in.

The opportunity is good if you make the best of it ... just be sure to go into something you like ... you'll be doin' it for a while. :)

[​IMG]

7. Oh yeah, P.S. ... If you DO go in, keep company with the do-ers and the go getters. Do not fall in with the few nay-sayers and losers you'll run across. They are poison.

8. jaxx

jaxx

Dont pass up any chance to better yourself - What you get out the Navy is equal to what you put into it. I would not trade my Navy time for anything. One of the best learning periods in my life. _ Jaxx

9. This is the best bit of advise I've read in a long time, useful in both civilian or military employment.

10. jbrittonjr

jbrittonjr

Marine Corps 1979~1983 here, served with VMFA 212 in the radar shop...
    If I had to do it again I'd get a 4 year college degree first then enlist as an officer.
    Nukes are okay, but flight school opens up so many opportunities.
    Helicopter & jet jockeys can find employment anywhere...

11. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

DO IT.
    I was a photographer 1975-1981. I regret every day not staying 20+.
    I would have never gone overseas. I never would have flown in the back seat of a Phantom. I never would have met some of the most interesting,oddball,do anything guys I did. Some of which I still have contact with. Lose the negative people and do your self a favor. It will be an experiance you'll cherish later either way.
    Freedom tastes sweeter to those who have put everything on the line for it.

12. RichG

RichG

Whatever you do, if you end up in Great Mistakes, stay away from the Blue Suede Shoes!

13. I agree. Find out all the opportunities you've got with that 96 score. You can go Military Intel in any branch and have a solid paying job if you decide after 4,8,20 years you're ready to be a civilian again.

Also, be sure to do some research and see if Navy life is really for you. Every branch of service is drastically different and because of that the quality of life is just as different.

Also, as mentioned before get the details on that scholarship. If he's talking about the GI bill, you'll get that after 4 years regardless of what you intend to do after (i.e. you don't need to stay in after and become an officer if you don't want to).

14. My friend is a "nuke" on the enlisted side. He got a $90k reenlistment bonus. I'll keep it at that.

15. FuelFC

FuelFC

Just got back from seeing Jr and the new Mrs. Jr on Fri and Sat. Both Nukies in Charleston, SC.

Nice apt, two nice cars, look healthy, seem to eat well, free school as long as you pass while waiting for next assignments, and they ain't asking me for money!

Unless you have big things coming your way or mommy and daddy are footing your bills for college (we were and we had to fire him for non performance, and then he had a choice to make) I say GO FOR IT!

He seems a lot happier now.

First part 3 mos. is usual bullshit after that your on your way to "Trimmin the rods for Jesus" (just don't fuck up) LOL

16. customizer2024

customizer2024
    from niles, mi.

The cost of college these days and the life long opportuities, it's will be the best thing you'll ever do for yourself. I don't know how old you are right now but in 20 yrs you could be retired. And could cruise the rest of your life.

17. A $90k bonus is pretty darn nice if you want to stay in, but remember it's taxed something like 40% right away and often if the bonus is that high, the civilian (and civil service if you want to stay in government) jobs are paying extremely well too (i.e. probably $90k a year or more). Again, definitely a nice perk if you want to stay in, and especially if you plan on sticking with it until retirement, but the money isn't worth staying in for the money alone.

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

In my opinion, the key word is OFFICER. If you'll get the education AND be an officer, you should have a really good thing going for yourself. Like some have said, read before you sign and listen to what is said.

When I was at NTC Orlando, the nukes stayed by themselves and got head of the line privledge at chow. We used to call them "glow worms", but out in the fleet, they are no joke. You'll see the world and make friends for life. So, I say go for it, but not for the money (you'll make plenty), do it because you want to serve.

Besides, if the big shit ever hits the fan, I'd rather be launching than recieving.:eek: