Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Ronnie Evans was the driver of this car whenever it ran with the chrome wheels. He won a lot.

[​IMG]

2. Dog427435

Dog427435

Saw Ronnie runnin' 9.8's & carring the front wheels a couple hundred feet today in his '62 - WILD!!:D

3. colesy

colesy

NHRA Stock Class National Records from 1966. Many familar names here.

Attached Files:

4. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

I think the 1960 348 cu. in. G/S Chevy sedan delivery of John Novack is not on the jr stock list and should be added. It was a Div. 1 car that was prepaired by Jenkins Competition. The car was red and was called ''Little Egypy". Anyone have any pictures?

5. This was formerly John Novaks' "Lil Egypt" 60 Sedan Delivery - He passed on last year .......John was responsible for getting me hooked on Stocker racing and a dear friend to me right up to his passing .In this pic its shown as J J F 's "Kwik Fire" -- I've got no idea what so ever what ever became of it after I raced it.......wish I did .

Attached Files:

6. Dog427435

Dog427435

Speaking of '60 Sedan Delivery race cars - Here's one that sold for $225 at an auction in Rosemont NJ, April of '08 - Anyone remember it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Man thats pretty cool, dig those cheater slicks! Can anyone make out the name in big letters on the panel??
    -Dean

8. Pretty neat -- If you look close you'll notice its a heater delete car....

9. colesy

colesy

Here's another photo of Val's 55 4 door.

Attached Files:

10. colesy

colesy

Any Division 1 guys remember Pete Fedun from Niagara Falls Ontario? Pete was runner up in Stock this past weekend at the IHRA Mopar Nationals at Grand Bend. His current ride is a D/Crate Motor 84 Camaro. The photo of his 65 Chevelle O/Stocker below is from Indy 1971.

Attached Files:

11. colesy

colesy

Junior Stock tech advice from Jere Stahl. Super/Stock & D.I. July 1969.

Attached Files:

12. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

That's Val's car but your's truly was driving it that weekend. It was at the Division 7 race at Lion's Drag Strip in July, 1972. We set the SS/U record at that event. We thought it ironic that it was the first time his car made the cover of a national magazine and he wasn't driving it.

13. BIG JOHN 37

BIG JOHN 37
    from central NJ

the 60 sedan delivery was the old "lemon lime" car campaigned out of central jersey, with help from both truppi kling and hoffman machine ,it was green, and fogged in gold, - believe it went to a scrapper, it was way far gone - owner? driver? any help? the gold 31 coupe street rod was sold for 3200, was built by my cousin kenny in the early 70's sold in 80, lost after that, apparently sat there rotting all these years, 289 hi po, 4 spd, you can see the top of it over the delivery in one of the pics.

14. ScottV

ScottV

OK guys the picture of the '60 Sedan Delivery freaked me out a bit. When I was a kid I remember junkyarding with my Grandfather (he was a semi-succesful stock car racer around Trenton, NJ and the person most resposible for me being a car guy) and seeing a green '60 SD. I wonder if this was the same car ??? A few years later I built a model which I think was Revell (Tom Daniels design???) of a hot rod 60 SD that I painted green. This is giving me chills.

ScottV

15. colesy

colesy

Like I've said before, this whole Junior/Stock period is like one big jigsaw puzzle and we're slowly putting all the pieces together a little bit at a time. Thanks a bunch for that information Chuck. That was a Popular Hot Rodding magazine cover from 72 with no information about the photo. It's great to have folks here like yourself who can fill in the vital details. :)

16. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Wow, what a shame this car was allowed to deteriote like that! Here's a photo of it (from 1969) during its glory days:

[​IMG]

I notice it says LAW Automotive on the quarter panel. Attn: Lou C., any memories about this car?

Pete

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  17. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

18. Too cool about the 60 SD "Lemon Lime"! Who bought the thing for $225?? Where did it go?
    -Dean

19. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Considering it still had the cheaters on it, I'm betting the posi was still there too, so $225. was a great deal.;)

20. jakethefake

jakethefake
    from fla.

still waiting to see KEN WORRELL"S ; cadillac tow car (flower car) thanks JAKE

21. colesy

colesy

Thanks for the reminder Jake. Sorry it took so long, but here it is.

Attached Files:

22. bertbrown

bertbrown
    from ca

Tony,
    According to my program the 58 was entered by DeWayne J Pisciotta of Los Angeles. Hot Rod did not credit the driver in their caption.

Thanks for posting about the '62 Winternationals. My car won B/SP at the '62 Winternats, driven by Putzel Osterman, and tuned by Nicholson and Wade, owned by Brendan Grassman. I am attaching a picture of the car today and one from Hot Rod. Better shots can be found at http://www.kenbrownart.com/corvette/

Question: does anyone out there remember anything about this Corvette in Southern Calif from late 1960 thru '62? It's been around as long as the Mazmanian Corvette.

Attached Files:

23. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Thats exactly what i was thinking! wish that would have been near me!

24. colesy

colesy

Any California guys remember Robby Robison from the early 70's?

Attached Files:

25. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Robby Robinson raced at Irwindale almost every week end. He had a verity of cars over the years.

26. farm1810

farm1810

I know that it is a little off topic, but....
    Did anyone notice that Diamond T truck in the background behind the Chevrolet Sedan Delivery? My poor eye sight would say that may be a rare truck.

27. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

that has got to be one of the neatest old pontiacs Ive ever seen, makes you want to try to go out and get one to play with!

28. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Yeah, it sure is. Reminds me of the white w/green relief 2-dr. hdtp. 1958 Chieftain my mother owned back in the very early 1970s. First car that I ever drove and did a power brake burnout in (with the assistance of a little bleach under the right rear tire). :) And that was before I got my NJ driver's license! :D By the time I did my folks sold the car. It was powered by a 370 cu. in. 2-bbl. V-8. Gas station attendants never could figure out where the gas filler neck was located those times we pulled into a service station we've never been to before. :D

If anyone has (or can get) one for you, it's this guy:

INDIANA PONTIACS
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Specializing in 1958-1966 Pontiacs[/FONT]​

http://www.indianapontiacs.com/Home.html

[​IMG]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Now this would make a neat A/FX replicar.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Pete[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]P.S. Doug, I'll have your 'stuff' very soon![/FONT]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  29. colesy

colesy

OK, so who's 57's are these. The second photo is from the recent Hot Rod Magazine Junior/Stock article. Note the same number on the door of each car. The first photo is from 1964 or 65. Lambeck?

Attached Files:

30. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

In the early sixties there were no permanent numbers. They were given out by entry date. You could ask for a number but there were no guarantees. The picture you posted is from Indy what Year? The car is not a Lambeck car. Bob ran a Bel Air Hardtop in 1966 and the a 150 business coupe until he went with the Landy cars.