Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Plymouth coupe worth buying?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TomCat 1, Jul 17, 2009.

1. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

I know where there is a 1940 Plymouth coupe that been sitting in a shed out in the country for a very long time. Wondering if they are desirable at all or if anyone has any pictures of them fixed up. You know how it is I don't really need any more projects but when you hear about something like this you hate to pass up a decent "shed find". I saw this car about 4 years ago when the owner didn't want to sell it and it looked to be a pretty decent car. It looked to be complete, no real dents or rust, but was at one time long ago apparently painted with a brush with some silver paint. It almost looks like silver paint like they use on grain bins, go figure........ Actually that was probably the best thing to ever happen to it as it appears all that extra paint on it seemed to help preserve and forgo the rust. No key to the trunk so I could'nt look in it but not really rusty otherwise. Maybe there is a box of money in the truck, Hmmmm. I'll try and get some pics to post. thanks, TomCat 1

2. Probably the best answer to your question is it desireable to you...is it a car that you want to build and drive? Build and drive what ya like and how ya like it.

3. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

4. raven

raven

Good looking designed coupe.
    I wish I had one.
    r

5. madpole

madpole

i love the lines on those coupes. i have a 1940 dodge. if the price is right, go for it!!

6. rgaller

rgaller

I would pass, especially if you ever think you'll end up selling it.

7. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Hey, I live in Central Ill. maybe I need to go look at it for you. I only have two projects with no end in sight. Maybe I need another one.

8. BBobb

BBobb

Any thing 1940 is worth buying imo

9. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

10. vertible59

vertible59

11. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

im buying a '40 desoto, almost the same thing...and i cant wait to get it and start working!!!!

12. 40mopar

40mopar
    from Nashvegas

Do it.........Inspiration

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I luv that year . Go for it

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If your not interested in it how about letting someone else who might want it for a project know about it. If it can be bought then it's a sure thing SOMEONE will buy it and if you wait too long it will be someone else.
    As the pictures show when they are done right they are really nice rides.

Frank

15. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

They definately do make a great looking rides. Is the second pic of the primed 40 w/ sombreros chopped alittle or is that just camera angle? I already planned on the fact that if I don't want to spend the funds to try and make sure it goes to someone that a member of the HAMB that would love to have it. Thanks for now, please submit any other insperational photos if you gottem. TomCat 1

16. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

So did you buy the 40 plymouth coupe or is it still in the barn?

17. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Man, after seeing those pics,you're crazy if you don't go get it.........

18. i built one in high school and have dug the body style ever since.

19. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

That's a great looking car. Nice lines. The grill is one of the nicest designs of that era.

20. RodStRace

RodStRace

This ws back in July, and he was on yesterday. I think he didn't get it...shame

To answer his question, the primered one is not chopped to my eye.

Attached Files:

21. custom50

custom50
    from Indiana

Not a 40 but the 41 was close. That was a solid car low mileage but antifreeze got in the oil, I sold it with a bad motor to a guy that had one ready to go in.

truegreen.jpg

passenger_side.jpg

passenger_wheel.jpg

22. Those coupes have a LOT of potential, I vote you go for it.

23. 2Coupes

2Coupes

I love that body style. I have two of them right now. See my profile pics.

24. teddyp

teddyp

if you like it then go for it if you don,t then turn some one on it that does i don,t care much for them but i know a lot of people that due

25. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

26. cowboy.3d

cowboy.3d
    from Austin TX

Pull the trigger!

27. I wouldnt think twice...snap it up

28. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

Well I bought the '40 Plymouth this morning. I'm not to sure what I'm going to do with it but you know how it is I just kept thinking about it and had to have it. Well I hadn't seen it for along time and after my last visit the farmer ( in picture) drug it out of the barn and pressure washed most of the silver paint off of it then shoved it back in the barn. That was the wrong thing to do now its got surface rust on it that wasn't there last visit. He said that he probably did the wrong thing. All that layer of old bin paint and dust and dirt and coon shit was probably helping preserve it. He did pick up some of the stainless trim that was on the ground and put it back on with plastic tiewraps so it wouldn't get lost which was good. The only trim I need are the two short pieces on the side of the cowl if anyone has them and also two hubcaps. I checked on a mini warehouse today to try and get me thru the winter, I'm getting too much junk sitting around outside. The coupe has 1961 plates on it which is about when he took some parts out of the distributor(?) so his dad would quit driving it. I think I'll try to get it running as is for now and put tires and brakes on it. Wish the Pileup wasn't so soon, I'll keep you posted. Thanks, TomCat1

29. Vorhese

Vorhese

There was a 1941 Coupe for sale round here for $2300 bucks, bummed I missed out.

30. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

pics

Attached Files: