Register now to get rid of these ads!

Parts stolen

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Midwest Rodder, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

So I took my family to Disney World for a vacation this last week and got home on Sat night, Sunday I went out to my shed to get the mower to mow the grass and noticed the lock on the shed was gone. I opened the shed and sure enough someone had been in there and helped them selves to some of my stuff. I found the lock on the floor cut in half. My doors for my 27 t sedan are gone, the headlights for my 46 chevy truck and the tailgate are gone along with the garnish moulding for my 55 olds. They took all the stainless for a 53 buick that I had already sold but the headlights stainless from that car I had plans for along with the side trim from the same car that I had plans for!
    I don't understand why people have to take stuff from others instead of working and buying the items for them selves, all they did was ruin my day and cost me a bunch of money. The doors for the t sedan are going to be a bitch to find along with everything else. The cops dont seem to hold much hope on finding the stuff and my insurance company isn't gonna pay squat for 50 to 80 year old parts.
    I quess now I get to spend my money on replacing the shit that I already had instead of putting that money towards the chop or bodywork.
    Thanks for letting me vent.

2. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

BASTARDS!! If you catch them punch them a couple times for me too!!!

3. 2Hep

2Hep

In one way the internet is a good thing, you've got this place, the "e" place to buy parts, and craig's place to get parts locally, aswell as look up and research parts. Then the internet becomes a bad place at the flip of a coin, more and more people are stealing stuff and pawing it off because the old parts are now big ticket items.
    That Sucks, makes my stomach hurt reading your post.
    Been there before too, ended up replacing my windows on my garage making them smaller so the big tools and bigger parts can't get out with out somebody opeing the door to the street.
    Hope you find them!

4. Elrod

Elrod

Seems kinda strange that some crackheads would steal rusty Model T doors.

I would think it would be someone you know, or a friend of someone you know who thinks that this old rusty junk might have some value.

5. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Sounds like someone who knows what the stuff is.

6. Gruizer54

Gruizer54

To piggyback off of 2Hep's comment. Anytime i get something stolen from me, I will check ebay and craigslist to see if the duchebags are stupid enough to post them for sale on these sites. I even check surrounding area's. I will usually check for a couple weeks to a month. Good luck.

7. thendrix

thendrix

Ill tell you why people steal. It's because all theives in this world are punk ass bitches that have never had to stand on their own two feet. Everytime they get caught doing something, they get a slap on the wrist and they are told "now don't do that again".

I am 26 and I BELIEVE that if I got caught stealing, my folks would still beat my ass and I would think less of them if they didn't. My grandpa made a statement that I agree with totally. He said take the cable tv's and air conditioners out of the jail and let criminals live like criminals instead of living better than most of us.

8. adamshumard

adamshumard

I'll be watchin cl in ks

9. jokerjason

jokerjason

JERKS!!!!! Sounds like someone knew what they were looking for, check your so called friends out. I have a hard time letting new guys into my shop sometimes just for that reason, not sure if they are stopping by to have a beer or case the joint for a midnight run on my stuff, Hope you find out who did it, then tie em behind the car and DRAG EM!!!!! LATER, JOKER JASON

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1 to that unfortunately. It almost has to be someone who has either been to your place or knows someone who has.

Bust open your garage and steal parts or tools = any run of the mill thief. Go into a locked shed out in the back = Someone who knew exactly what was in that particular shed.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

11. shorty54

shorty54
    from Arvada

This is like the guy in NJ that had his hub caps stolen. Kind of strange that people keep taking parts that are worth something. With all these posts about people taking from others it makes you wonder what the hell is wrong with society.

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup.

I had the brother of my house mate steal one of my old motocross bikes (KX250) when I raced. The thing was in parts for a re-build, it was funny that even the parts that were well hidden in the garage as well as the parts in the house were gone. Cops did nothing.
    It had to be someone I knew........
    It pissed me off so I went looking and found the bike, sitting in the shed of a friend of the guy who stole it, you could see it clear as day through the window. Went to the cops and they said they couldn't do anything about it.
    The thief now has a permanent limp that I am proud off. I payed him a visit a few years latter after I had joined the Army, put that training to good use. As for the other mate? Didn't have to do anything to him, he is in prison for 25 years, real little effeminate guy he was/is? I just know he is someones bitch!:D

Doc.

13. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

I have thought about that it might be someone who knew the stuff was in there. I bought the T sedan about 4 yrs ago with out doors then relized how hard they are to find and when you do find them you have to sell your wife for the weekend to get the cash to pay for them. I had already reskined them and they were looking good but I lost interest in the car and moved on to a different car. Started to want to get the T going about 3 months ago and would work on it a little every now andthen. I guess I will keep my eye out on the internet. Cop say since there are no seriel # on any of the part it will be tough to proove they are mine. The bastards did take more stuff but they were for odd things and they got a few odd tools. But they didnt take my riding mower so I still had to cut the grass!!!

14. Elrod

Elrod

So think about who you recently told that those doors were rare as all get out, and think about who they are friends with, and start hunting those leads.

Also, you got any family members that might have a secret little drug habit or money problems?

15. If nothing else around the house/garage was disturbed then the thief knew exactly what they were after and knew to bring the tool used to cut the lock.

Nothing in the list was really pawn shop material, its pretty specific and of value only to car guys (thieving car guys)

Hope your parts turn up and you catch the thief

s.

16. mrdodge

mrdodge

Amen to that. Maybe you should run for President!!

17. and they even new you were not home ...

18. flyingmaori

flyingmaori

how much were the parts worth

19. The thing with stealing is a guy either has to sit on it, or flip it almost instantly, to avoid getting caught.

Personally, I'd start telling people how you're going to nail the person who stole the doors because you stamped your name inside them in a place one can't normally see - and see what happens. Police lie to people to try to trip them up all the time, there's no reason you can't.

And in addition to CL and eBay check all your local trader papers, especially if you have one like our "Swap Sheet" that only charges if you sell through it.

20. slammed49

slammed49

This is why they make bullets.

21. chopz56

chopz56

Sounds like someone you know told someone else about your shit and they are building the same car and robbed you!Or they paid some METH HEAD to steal it for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. thendrix

thendrix

There is no way in HELL I would take that job

23. Situations like this is where places like the HAMB can come into their own, as parts like this are of little use to most folk.

Take a read of the link below, a 34 coupe was stolen and the word went out and made it too hot a property for the theives to keep. Recovered within 24hours!!

http://www.nz-hotrod.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4220&page=1&pp=10

We all need to stick together when shit like this happens. The president of the NZHRA said it best in his comment.

"It's hard to believe that there are "low lifes" out who would even dare to nick a Hot Rod & think they could get away with it, the only good thing to come out of this is "hot rodding" is one big "family" and you don't fuck with the "family"...well done to everyone involved."

24. RAY With

RAY With

Sounda like it was also well planned. They had bolt cutters for the lock-Knew what was in there to begin with and took select car parts. I also hate a thief and if I ever catch one school will be out for the bastard. The thought of someone violating my home or shop is enough to set any one off. Very sorry to hear about your loss and I do hope you get all your stuff back and then beat the shit out of the little shits that did it.

25. You need to be careful of who you let in your yard when selling them something.
    Now I try to bring the car or item out in the front, away from all my other stuff. Its human nature to ogle all the stuff in your yard.

I was showing a guy a car I had for sale. He looked at it and then spied my pile of parts I am collecting for my 53 F100. He went over and asked if the parts were for sale. I said not until the truck is done.

About a week later, I was near the pile and noticed 2 F100 steering columns with boxes, a set or cherry running boards, a nice grill and other misc shit was gone. Did the guy do it? Who knows. he is my first choice. Scrappers would have taken way more than just that.

I had no info on him, I didn't even keep his phone #. No way to go check on him. And no, he did not buy the car either.

I don't advertise the fact that I'm going out of town or to a show on here or to anyone online anymore either. Doing that is just like giving them the keys to your place.

Hope you find your stuff.

26. Itchy-Pit

Itchy-Pit

Seems like locks and cameras work well in keeping honest people honest. Crack heads are simply looking to keep the high. I had two "people" selling steaks out of the back of thier truck pay me a visit. I felt the hair stand up on the back of my neck so I snapped a pic with my camera on hand but the resolution was too low. Worthless. Sure enough they cam back two days later - unbolted the side of the metal shop and cleaned me out. Advice: Double nut the bolts so they can't be turned out, Double lock your doors with shielded locks, get cameras (they're chep now) and post signs "Warning - Security cameras in use" Many thieves are somewhat lazy - make it a bit harder and they may go on to the next target. Ear bleeding alarms are a good investment too.

I really feel for you - That empty feeling in your gut will ease up with time but will never go away.

As Ronnie Regan once said "Trust.... But Verify"

As for the bullets - maybe it is best you DID NOT catch them in the act.

D

27. 49coupe

49coupe

That sucks, but sounds like an inside job. If nothing else was disturbed (i.e. your garage or house) that would have to be on hell of a coincidence. Chances are you know them or they are people your friends know.

Theft is one of the main reasons people around me have stopped doing "open houses". People walk up, sign a fake name, check out the house and then take note of all of the valuables, presence of a dog, security system etc. and come back to break in. I've heard of people around here posting an ad in the local paper for a funeral or viewing only to come home and find their house was broken into. How low can people go?

I used to think an older restorer near me was paranoid for not letting anyone near his car and parts collections. I've know the guy for 4 years and I have not seen what's in the big barn. Now I put the parts I'm selling outside of the garage or put a tarp over everything in plain view when selling something. How your view changes when you've been broken into. I now have a professional grade garage door with locking pins, a keyless entry on my back door with a deadbolt when I'm away for more than a day. Sad, but it's coming to that.

28. There was a thing in the paper not too long ago where the sheriff dept was advising people to call them when the meat sellers came by. It seems they were linked to many home burglaries.

Also they accept checks and credit cards== identity theft.

If I didn't order it, you best not be knocking on my door. And if you come in because you think I'm not home...well too bad for you.

29. They left the fucking mower? Boy they sure hell were not crack heads!

Dude that fucking sucks but it sounds like a inside job, they knew the shit was there......

30. Catch them and send them out to Maricopa Co. AZ. Sheriff Joe knows how to treat them.