Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Italian DOHC Fours-Jewels under the hood

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miller91, May 19, 2009.

1. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

For anyone who really wants a Maserati V8, they may not be awfully hard to come by -- from a fugly sedan called the Quattroporte, built in the 1960s and 70s.
    Those aren't worth restoring or even fixing, and might be had cheap.

If you prefer a V6, there's the 1980s Maserati Biturbo and 228, which can be found dead due to rust, carb, interior and electrical problems.

2. Not positive ... but it looks like a late '40s Bandini 1100 Siluro (torpedo) Mille Miglia car.

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The grill has a 40s-early 50s Maserati look to it.

Attached Files:

4. miller91

miller91

At first I thought Maserati A6GS...but then I saw HEMI32's post, the grills are divided...he may be right.

5. miller91

miller91

It's not the Ermini 1100...

[​IMG]

6. miller91

miller91

Or the Siata 750...

[​IMG]

7. miller91

miller91

'54 Siluro 750

[​IMG]

'54 Bandini with a CADDY stuffed in it!???

[​IMG]

A Bandini with an Offy nicely grafted in...
    [​IMG]

Hmmm...don't know!

8. power58

power58

Very Very nice Thread !!! Enjoyed every one. I thought the Square Lancia was an interesting engine also. One posibility that the superchargers were oil driven is that the rapid accelration and deceleration of a solid drive shaft from the blower would cause the shaft to fail. The oil cushioned the drive.

9. Weasel

Weasel

Neither an OHC nor a four, but an Italian jewel of an engine from 1964/65 which I used to own - one of three prototypes ever built. No combustion chambers in heads - they are in the crown of the piston - so called Heron heads. The crank is an equal plane/equal throw which allows the engine to be run as a two four six or eight. External oil pump, wet sump with Tecalemit Jackson slide injection. All aluminum 305 ci and dynoed at 505 hp. I still have the last build sheet somewhere. This was fitted to the De Tomaso Sport 5000 Can Am car designed by Pete Brock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Yep ... At first glance, I thought Maserati too! ... Anyway, my hunch was correct ... I just found this AUTOWEEK article (Google is my friend):

AUTOWEEK (December 8, 2008) page 29.jpg
    click to enlarge

11. Splinter

Splinter

Miller, fuck those Masi lumps! Straight up Alfa, Baby! (Now if I only had an underhood shot of the GTA Autodelta car at work, Or a good shot of the 6 or 7 "Rio" motors....damn. I gotta take more pictures on Monday and post them.)
    Maybe we'll make room for a few Fiat Abarths, too.

So there.

Attached Files:

12. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Of course you were right, its a long time i dont check for this thread, shame on me, but you were right on the 1st try. Im no expert in exotic cars, sometime i surf on the etceterinis site, infact thats were i got this from under the Bandinis gallery....Some real impressive stuff there.If only they were easier to come by...and on the cheaper side.

13. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

Oil like water doesn't compress so you have a steady state, using a constant pressure veriable speed pump you get instant pressure - no lag, you also don't have as much heat to contend with.

14. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

15. sdgsavage

sdgsavage

Great thread. To think that these motors and cars were being built in country ravaged by WWII.

16. ...and without computers. Does anyone still know how to use a slide rule?

17. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Incredible stuff, thank you all for posting.

18. sdluck

sdluck

Thats about as badass as the come.

19. More photos!!!!

Where is this slice of HEAVEN?

20. prontopower

prontopower
    from W.Sac CA

I think I read once the layout came from the french in about 1906... Some rebel designers from Peugeot. Seems the Italians perfected it though.

21. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

just stumbled on this thread and have been engrossed for an hour! BEAUTIFUL stuff!!

22. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Yup. the Lotus Cortina. Same engine as the Lotus Elan. A rocket!!

23. Splinter

Splinter

That's a twinspark GTA head alright, never seen a blower version of that motor. The airbox on that looks an awful lot like the SPICA-injected motor airboxes. If those two black things are the blowers, they're either water driven or have some kind of thermostatic element-they tie in to the water transfer pipe.

24. Richard/SIA

Richard/SIA
    from No. Nevada

Bought a slightly warmed up 2000 and five speed to replace the Mazda rotary the former owner had shoe-horned in.
    That was a truly terrible conversion.

Original engine was a Ford Cortina 1600.

The Alfa weighs less than the Cortina, makes about twice the power, and sings higher with an extra 2000 RPM!

I am also using a LSD Alfa axle, which will give give me disc brakes in the rear.

My Marcos is the English car that really DOES have a wooden frame.

What my car will look like when restored, except that mine will have Minilight alloy wheels.
    [​IMG]

25. Since we've slid off the 4cyl topic, how about an ATS V8?
    [​IMG]

Only 12 were built. At least one of the cars had a baby tunnel ram intake. I have a better engine photo somewhere that I took at Pebble Beach.

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great thread, A few years ago I picked up a Lancia Beta with plans to use the engine in a Indy style roadster but ended up selling it to someone for a parts car for his Beta before I figured out how to hook the engine to a rear drive trans.

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey guys - I don't mean to highjack a thread, but I have a Weber manifold that i have been trying to I.D. for awhile. I suspect it's for a Fiat or Alfa but don't know which one. Does the manufacturer H K S and part number 9122 ring any bells for any one out there? It's for twin DCOE webers, and has a thermostat housing cast integral to what would be the front of the pass side of the manifold. There is also the marking T K W cast into the top as well. I know this is an old thread, but reading through there seems to be quite a bit of Italian knowledge in our midst, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Chip Quinn

28. Hotrod7

Hotrod7

man, that control arm in the first picture is awesome

29. Michbandini

Michbandini
    from Italy

Simply placing an order to Bandini Automobili in Italy :) [email protected]