Register now to get rid of these ads!

engine swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadalb, Jul 16, 2009.

1. What engine could fit in a Hillman Husky that wont make the car take off to the moon but give power ,speed and the ability to dress it up. Thanks Albie

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Try the ever popular Ford pinto 2300. They make good power and can be dressed up a bit. Or the T-bird turbo version and hang on to your hat.

3. can any thing be done to the stock engine. what about a 283 short block

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Wind the rubber band tighter in the stocker !! LOL I'm sure with a bit of work you could put a belly button in it. Your post gave me the impression you weren't after a race car but a reasonable performance boost. The 2300 would have almost twice the cubes of the stocker.

5. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Alfa Romeo twin-cam
    Fiat twin-cam
    BMW iron-block 4
    Mazda rotary
    Audi 5-cylinder
    Porsche 944/968
    VW VR6

all of which can be de-computerized, if they're not already uncomputerized.

6. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

How about a V8-60 flattie, a guy out here has one in a Crosley

Attached Files:

7. GlenC

GlenC

I put a Hillman Hunter GT engine in a Husky many years ago! The late Hillman engine (Chrysler) is the same weight, dimensions and even engine mounts as the old Rootes Group engine, but 1725cc as opposed to 1100cc or 1300cc, and the GT version can make 150hp if done up right. Mine had a cam, shaved head, extractors and the twin carbs that came standard on it, and the l'il Husky went like a train!

Cheers, Glen.

8. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

"A Husky was tested in 1954 and found it to have a top speed of 65 mph and acceleration from 0-50 mph in 24.3 seconds".

With stats like that, pretty much anything you put in it is going to make it seem like a beast!

How about an early Pontiac slant 4 cylinder? Haven't seen one in a while but it's basically the left bank of the V8, there is a sweet little Phone Booth T rod in NE OK that runs one with a modified P4B Edelbrock intake and Schneider Header! Wonder if the T owner is a H.A.M.B.er?<sup id="cite_ref-Motor1954_2-3" class="reference"></sup>

9. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

The Pontiac Tempest and the Four-Cylinder Engine

<!-- dtl_id=463368 //--> One of the many innovative decision John Z. DeLorean brought to the Pontiac Tempest was the four-cylinder engine. Though the Buick and Olds Y-bodies would be powered by a choice of newly designed V-6 or aluminum V-8 powerplants, DeLorean's engine of choice for the related Pontiac was going to be an inline four. It would have to be more powerful than competitive sixes and be inexpensive to develop and manufacture.

Indeed, Pontiac was truly up against the wall with respect to cost. With the majority of developmental funds tied up in the unique drive-shaft system, the rest of the driveline would have to consist of as many off-the-shelf pieces as possible. DeLorean and his team determined that a four-cylinder based on the production Pontiac V-8 would make the most sense.

In order to prove that the concept was valid, engineers took a production 389-cid Pontiac V-8 engine, put holes in the left bank of pistons, disabled the valve-train for the same cylinders, and reinstalled it in a full-sized Pontiac. Even with the extra drag of the deactivated cylinders, the cobbled-up test engine had enough steam to propel the 4,000-plus-pound sedan to a top speed of 92 mph and still give satisfactory gas mileage.
    Later, the left banks of several production 389 engines were removed. A series of specialized parts were then developed for production, including a specific crankshaft, camshaft, two different intake manifolds, a four-cylinder ignition system, and various downsized accessories. The production 195-cid ohv "slant-four" block came a bit later. It was heavy, weighing about two-thirds as much as the V-8 because the 389's crankcase was retained almost unchanged.

The good news was that interchange-ability with the 389 abounded. The two engines shared pistons, rings, pins, connecting rods, bearings, cylinder heads, oil pan and pump, water pump, crank pulley, and harmonic balancer. The four also used the same machine tooling and traveled down the same assembly line as the V-8, greatly reducing manufacturing cost.

All told, there were three basic versions of the "Trophy 4" engine for the 1961 model year. The first was a regular-fuel engine with an 8.6:1 compression ratio and a one-barrel carburetor. It was rated at 110 bhp at 3,800 rpm, with 190 pound-feet of torque at 2,000 revs. For automatic-transmission cars, this engine was rated at 130 horses at 4,400 and 195 pound-feet of torque at 2,200, thanks to a hotter camshaft than that used in the stickshift cars.

The second version retained the single-throat carb, but compression was raised to 10.25:1, necessitating the use of premium fuel. The manual transmission version was rated at 120 bhp at 3,800 rpm and 202 pound-feet of torque at 2,000 spins; the automatic version made 140 bhp at 4,400 rpm and 207 pound-feet at 2,200.

The raciest iteration of the four was equipped with a Rochester four-barrel carburetor and an even hotter camshaft. Both sticks and automatics were rated at 155 bhp at 4800 rpm, generating 215 pound-feet of torque at 2,800 revolutions. Buick's 215-cid V-8 was also available. Fitted with a two-barrel carb, it also was rated at 155 bhp, but generated slightly more torque at 400 fewer rpm than the meatiest four.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1961-1963-pontiac-tempest2.htm

10. bluebolt

bluebolt
    from Benton LA

I think the Chevy II four cylinder might make a good choice.

11. Buick/Rover aluminum V8? Ecotec 2.2? Both are lightweight and powerful.
    How about a photo of the car in question?

12. "Short block" does not refer to a shorter than usual block in the linear sense. It just means it has nothing above the cylinder decks installed. It would still be just as long as a full 283,327,350, 267, 400, etc.

13. sdluck

sdluck

14. kraka138

kraka138

15. the old Mercury Capri V6 would be sweet........

16. Here she is, very complete driver.

Albie

Attached Files:

17. NICE car! there's on e around here that's had a 289 Ford in it for years. Used to wrok with a guy who put an old Datsun SOHC 2.0 L20 motor with a 5 speed in one. Worked out real nice. With Dual Sidedraft Webers it sounded great too!
    Or maybe you should just sell it to me.

18. See if the Rootes group website is still up. They had a webring going for quite a while.
    Sunbeamalpine.org or .com might be a good place to start.
    Heck, I might have a manual kicking around here if you need one.

Oooh!
    http://www.rootesgroupdepot.com/
    What fits depends on how much surgery you want to perform on the firewall.

19. Ice man

Ice man

2.5 AMC/5 sp would be a strong runner, and cheep. Iceman

20. Here is her heartbeat under the hood...Shes not mine yet!

Attached Files:

21. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

X2 on the Chevy II motor

Steve

22. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Get on youtube and check out hayabusa swaps. Looks fun.

23. I think that eliminates quite a few swaps.
    The Rootes Forums have a bunch of info on Quad four, V8, V6, and even Rotary swaps. Be sure and post a build thread when you take the plunge.

24. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

I've put a Ford 302 in a Husky and am now trying to stuff a Chrysler 392 Hemi in to one. If anybody wants to know how it's done you can see the build-up of the 302 car on www.dougscars.com

Doug

25. Weasel

Weasel

There was an orange Husky with a 392 hemi, set back 18" from the radiator which used to run around here a few years ago - driven from the rear seat - haven't seen it in a while.

26. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

I tried contacting the owner of that car but never could get him to call me back. I'm actually building the earlier Husky which appears to have more room up front. Hopefully I'll be able to drive it from the front seat. Here's what I have so far for the build:

built 392 motor
    new all aluminum top loader with truck type shifter
    heidt's mustang front end (needs narrowing)
    Maserati IRS (needs narrowing)
    Torq Thrust magnesium wheels (may not use these)

Attached Files:

27. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Iron Duke, Ford 2.3, Quad 4

any of those would be awesome...

28. Yelloblazer

Yelloblazer
    from Missouri

Hey, Awsome build I'm doing a 56 Husky panel Blown BBC,with 2 speed glide. Looking forwards to seeing progress pics. James

29. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Nice car! I am a V6 fan in small cars like these. The Ford and Chevy 2.8L 60 degree V6's are very compact and should go in there without any problems. Need more power then 3.8 or 4.3L GM 90 degree V6's will stuff in there too. SBF'S might squeeze in there, but will be very tight.

This is one of my target cars down the road to do some messing with.

392 is almost as big as the car itself, let alone is probably close to half the weight of the Husky. Looking at some big springs for that puppy.