Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Millers at Milwaukee

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Super88, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

I will be there in 2010!

More pictures please

2. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

A few more

V8-60 powered

[​IMG]

Duesenberg road car dash

[​IMG]

Winfield carb

[​IMG]

Crosley suspension detail. brazing filled and shaped.

[​IMG]

Mini replica

[​IMG]

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW!!! Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing!! POST MORE!!!!!! Looks like an amazing event!

Any detail shots of the front drive system actually still together on any of these? Would like to see how the suspension is set up!

4. tractorguy

tractorguy

Super 88.....relic stew.....thanks for the great pictures. I showed up on Sat. and realized my camera had crashed so it was great to see your pics. The Miller event is one of the greatest bargains in motorsports. I'm always in awe of the works of art that are on display.......and as was already said.......the wonderful sounds.

Just hope the Gov. of Wisconsin doesn't move forward with his plan to let all Milwaukee Mile events die. You Wisconsin guys need to call the Governors office. Hope all of you who are waiting till next year get to actually experience this wonderful event.

5. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

I took these at the '06 meet

De Dion tube axle with quarter elliptic 4 bar on the 1927 Miller #3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1925 car with outboard brakes

[​IMG]

They sound cool too, with the whine of the drive gears and supercharger, and the smooth straight eight.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  6. miller91

miller91

Hopefully the track irons out it's issues, but if you like this stuff...GO.

Here are some good eats.

Kegel's Inn, not so far away, German food and BEER, cool old bar
    http://www.onmilwaukee.com/dining/business/kegels.html

Jake's Deli. Real Jewish Deli, much farther from the track, just OK neighborhood but the corned beef? Worth the trip
    http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Review/3767-3657/jakes

In Milwaukee, skip the VERY overrated Mader's and go to Karl Ratzch's instead:
    http://www.karlratzsch.com/ MORE German food and BEER

And you have to visit the "Temple of Milwaukee Sausage", Usinger's in Milwaukee
    http://www.usinger.com/index.php More uses for pork than you ever thought possible.

And oh yeah...hearing Miller (and other) race cars zip around does not suck either.

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YEP! That one! Any close-ups of the front end arrangement?

EDIT! You just beat me to it. D'OH!

THANKS!!!! Amazing!!!

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to everyone for going out on a tangent here...

I'm trying to comprehend what is going on in this picture. I've never seen one of these in person, so I'm itchin' to know. How in the hell does that front end articulate/travel? Is there a ball drive type of thing under that brass flange collar that the drive shafts pivot on??

Pretty wild stuff!

9. miller91

miller91

Although there is a Miller Shop connection (the engine was designed by Leo Goossen) this is the ARt Sparks "Big Six". Designed and built for the 1937 season producing up to 500HP at 5,000 RPM from 336 blown cubes. Never won the big one, but a beautiful functional piece of history!

[​IMG]

10. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

You made the mistake of counting exhaust ports on that Marmon. Some of them are siamesed. That's a V-16.

11. miller91

miller91

Welcome to the magical world of the Miller 91 Front Drive racing automobile. Sandwiched in between those inboard brake drums is a Swiss Watch-like marvel transaxle transmitting through constant velocity ball joints. The deDion axle is both sprung and located by the quarter elliptical springs and damped by friction shocks.

12. miller91

miller91

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW! Thanks for that!! Amazing!! Always thought the CV joint was a good idea. I now understand what's going on...

Now I need one. :D

14. KIRK!

KIRK!

no doubt!!!

15. jimdillon

jimdillon

Thanks for the pics,wish I could have made it this year as it is the best place to see and hear these great cars up close. As others have mentioned most of the guys are not at all stand offish to any questions. Real car guys.

Bob (37) you are right on about Chuck Davis. A really great guy and I know of no one that scavenged parts and engines better then him. I think he had as much fun chasing down parts as much as he had building the cars. I tried to get him to sell some 1920 Frontenac stuff to me years ago but he was not in the mood to sell. As I understand some of this stuff went to Speedy Bill. The 27 Miller was right next to my friends Marmon at Meadowbrook so I got to look at the car all day and up close-what a great piece.-Jim

16. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Thanks so much for the photos.
    Didn't realize the Uihlein Special was still in original condition. For some reason I thought I saw a photo of it restored at a concours last year...unless David built more than one?
    Did anyone happen to get a photo of its engine? Should be an MG with a home made twin cam head.

Cris

17. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Here's the engine of the Uihlein special

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was fascinated by this car, took a bunch of pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  18. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

HAMB member, mac miller, put a lot of miles on his #98 Parnelli Jones "ol' calhoun" roadster during the weekend, along with many other roadsters. Lapping the Milwaukee Mile in a Watson roadster!!!! It just don't get better than that!!!

Attached Files:

19. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

I watched you for a few of those laps

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Those are all a few of the great places in Milwaukee, miller91, thanks for the pictures too. Jake's is awesome but that neighborhood is not OK at all. Go there while it's light out only. Mike

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

That Uihlein Special was built from a showroon new MG-TD, if you have old issues of Road & Track you can read the classified ad sections were all the unwanted parts were listed. It was a cover car at one time with a full feature on the build. Still a one owner car after all these years.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just so all you HAMB people know this is THE CAR I'll be buying when I win LOTTO! Lost out on it 35 years ago when it was unrestored and missing the engine. [​IMG]

23. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Relic, thanks a ton.

Cris

24. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

WOW, 'Stew, Thanks!!!!

25. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

The Uihlein Special that was at Milwaukee is the second one built. The first car was built by the Marchese brothers with the all aluminum body being done by Joe Silnes in Indianapolis and looked quite a bit different. However, there was only one of the Uihlein DOHC MG engines built and that engine is still in the second car. The first car belongs to a collector (in Florida maybe?) who has installed a 4 cylinder Alfa Romeo engine in place of the original engine. The car has reportedly been shown in this configuration in recent years.

Here's a link to a story (and photo) of the first Uihlein Special. Go down about halfway down the page.

http://www.mgvr.org/keepers/t_twins.html

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the correction INDYRJC and Welcome to the HAMB!

27. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

When you were taking pictures in the swap meet area did you get the Studebaker powered unpainted midget restoration?

28. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Is this the one? I didn't get any full shots, but have some details.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Yes, that's it.

30. Super88

Super88

When I started this thread, it was regarding the 2008 Meet, but I now have photos of this year's 2009 Meet. I left town right after attending the meet, but will post as soon as I can.