Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 31 Model A Victoria Build w/Pics – Miss Vicky

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Jul 6, 2008.

1. lowphat53

lowphat53
    from Virginia

Hey Dave your car is badass either way you decide to go. You've been working so hard and all the small details are really going to pay off when you decide to finish it and stop being such a perfectionist!

2. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the windshield,dash and firewall. I also think the chop is just right and like the color . Looks Good.

3. yankbuilt

yankbuilt

Looks goood in primer, put it together and drive that "HEAPS"! I have goggles I'll lone you!

4. OK here we go – the first pic is the current 2-1/4 inch chop. The second pic is with one more inch removed.

MyVic1.jpg

MyVic1moreinch.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    29EHV8 likes this.
  5. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

If I had a vote I would say chop it that 1 more inch. It give it a meaner look

6. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I thought the frame was blue or is this in the mock up stage before you painted it?

7. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Oh yeah it would be meaner with the extra inch out of it........

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting. I'm torn. I like it soooo much the way it is right now. You have a tough decision.

Something else... only you and I could really compare on this topic, being that we have slant windshield Model A's, but chopping it 1 more inch would be the same chop I have on mine right now and it looks ENTIRELY DIFFERENT! Really strange. I have a 3-1/4" chop on mine, but my side windows are deffinitely taller than your side windows. Strange. If I cut mine down another inch, I wouldn't be able to sit in it.

I think it looks good in both pictures. I don't think it would be a mistake to leave it alone. I don't think it would be a mistake to chop it if you wanted to put yourself through the work either. Both look just really awesome! I think whatever you feel looks right to YOUR eye, is what you should do.

Jungle Jalopy likes this.
  9. Famous Tater53

Famous Tater53

Russ...man, how sweet is that thing gonna be!!!!
    The color is awesome. What color block and interior? So...we'll see you at the nats, right?

Take care buddy. Look Brad & I up sometime.

Tater

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

To gain the same effect as rechopping the top one inch cut a U section out of the doors and side windows add one inch strip to the bottom and trim one inch off the top of the U and reweld it. This would save realigning all the top and refitting the wood. OR, better yet, just leave it as is and continue getting it in primer.:D

11. I did a really quick on, no skill included.
    Guess that's what he is talking about.
    And I have to say, I like that idea... It's something different!!

[​IMG]

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

I better just let you start cutting, glad you don't set completion dates either. NO! I changed my mind, now that you posted the drawing. That is exactly what I was trying to say in words.

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Just an opinion, it doesn't need another inch taken out. Hard to explain but it goes from "street driven hot rod" to "competition only" look with the extra inch. For all of the work you've put into this I can't imagine you would want to beat yourself up any more by tacking a change that's not necessary to have a bitchen car. Finish it, already.:)

Frank

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

I realized it was Martin that posted this drawing of what I was trying to explain, not Dave. Then I clicked on his truck build and got lost in a project I'd never seen before. Nice project, looks like it was a really solid cab to start with. thanks again for the artwork. Bob[​IMG]

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The proportions of your current chop look just right in the Photochop. With another inch taken out it will look tougher, but not necessarily better.

It ain't broke; don't fix it.

16. I agree with 50Fraud.

17. I agree !
    If it is not broke Don't Fix it !!!!!!!!!!

18. I think, that's the way to go: get it on the road, and enjoy it.
    1 more inch could be your next winter project!! ;)

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Glad to hear that! Any thougts od maybe sectioning it?:rolleyes::eek:

20. I've already sectioned it!!!:eek:

The height of the rear roof line above the quarter windows and around the rear of the car has had a wedge section removed (from zero inches above the quarter windows to one inch at the back of the car) to take out some of the boxiness at the rear and to make the rear roof line more cohesive with the 32 front roof header. The welds from that modification are visible on the c-pillars in the PhotoChop rendering. Or is that pancaking?

And yes, it's already been channeled about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.;)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  21. lowphat53

lowphat53
    from Virginia

Dave, just keep chugging along and drive the crap out of it! It looks perfect as is, more chop looks cool but it is not necessary, nor will it make or break the car! you have the look already, so I say find your motivation and get that thing out on the street, I am itching to see it in person. Good job with everything so far!

22. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Dave, as before ,1 more inch in not worth the time. now on the other hand a few more inches would make it sinister, and give its it's own personality. Spend the time making it road worthy and then make the decision in the cold winter...

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, mine's only 1-1/4" lower from the factory. Strange stuff.

Lookin' good man! Whatever you do, can't wait to see!

24. -JoeSmith-

-JoeSmith-

I would say leave the chop as is, but either way you win. That is one handsome machine. Nicely done sir!

25. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I'd leave it. How many more years will it sit if you rechop it??

26. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

I would say leave it as it is or you may end up putting in 3" safety harnesses cinched down real tight to keep you and any passengers from bumping their heads on the roof when you go over large bumps:p

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHA! That's what I was thinking! :rolleyes: (funny visual)

28. I shot a little sealer on the body today to see where I'm at. I need to shoot some high build, block it and then seal it again. Then I'll bolt it to the frame.:)

IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Vic Walter and DylanHill1931 like this.
  29. 29paul

29paul

Nice paint booth looks good.

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

NICE! Remember primer is cheap, and you are allowed as mamy coats as it takes to block that body so it is good enough to paint black.