Register now to get rid of these ads!

Since I can't sell it, i'm going to chop the roof. any pics of one done? 48 Pontiac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Edelbroke, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

No takers on the Pontiac so i'm going to fire up the plasma cutter and 4 inch grinder and keep myself occupied for awhile.:D If anyone has pics of chop on one of these or a chevy with this type of roof post'em please. Nobody cry about it, i've had it posted forsale for quite awhile...
    [​IMG]

2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

There's a good article on chopping a Torpedo backed 50 Chev in R&C a while back. Just like your's, only it's a Chev, it was a 4 door and the later body style :rolleyes:...

Anyway, the point was, they dropped the top down with the trunk lid, into the body. This made the fenders more pronounced and the car looked fantastic. Yours could be done the same way, and would look super slippery, compared to the newer body style.

Do it, post pics!

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Fastbacks, sedanettes. One of the hardest chops out there. I'd say if you haven't done a few or aren't real patient to hold off. I had a couple people looking at your ad, our biggest problem was getting it down here. I'd say getting it in a running state would get it sell more than hacking on the top.

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

Frankly I am not a big fan of chopping these cars as the roof line proportions are dead on gorgeous !,..... I have only seen a handful of attempts to chop them, and it seems to throw the proportions way off IMHO,....

This My pal Clyde's "Poncho",..... and just for the record Big Daddy his self did the glove box door. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Swifster

Swifster

X2 Get it running and you'll be able to sell it a lot easier. They don't look good at all if not done right.

6. forty1

forty1

How about plan "B'..
    -41-

Attached Files:

7. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

If it doesnt turn out, I'll part it out. hopefully it works, then i'll have a keeper...

8. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

And i'm leaning toward plan B... thanks 41

9. Harms Way

Harms Way

No intention to offend you,... but I hope you have some really good sheet metal skills,.... this is going to be a difficult project,...... good luck to you,..... I hope I am wrong,... but sometimes its like looking into a crystal ball. :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

how bout leave the top alone and section 4-6 inches from between the fender tops and window bottoms?

11. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

I think they look too fat chopped.
    I haven't photochopped anything in a while but i think I hit it on the nose with this one...
    Heres a pic lowered 3-4 inches and sectioned 4-6 inches with absolutely no chop... sectioned torpedo no chop but dropped .jpg SEXY!!! smokinWithSasquatch_2.jpg

12. Best advice

13. DMFB

DMFB

Plan B sounds like a better plan. I wouldn't chop it, they definitely look better without it.

14. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

kinda sad to butcher a solid ride like that i always liked them torpedo backs if i had some coin id rescue it , and run it

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Hmmm... how about idiotic... :eek:

16. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

cut here --------------------------------

cuthere.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  17. 22 track

22 track

18. Mattilac

Mattilac

Here's a '49 4-door Poncho I photoshopped a couple inches out of the roof and lowered it a few inches... maybe if it was a little lower...

[​IMG]

19. Lumpster

Lumpster

Man I wish I had the cash and you were closer. I'd be all over that. It doesn't look like a easy chop....

20. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

looks like a pain in the ass but I wish you the best

21. plan9

plan9

looks like hell....

22. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

I'm not in this car terribly deep;) I picked it up to flip it, but its starting to grow on me (very slowly) nice work on the photoshop section, that looks cool too,

23. For what it's worth, and I don't know how you've been advertising yours, but selling a car in today's market is just about a full time job, you can't just throw it on one site and expect it will sell. Especially if it doesn't run. Even in a good economy I've had what I thought were desirable non-runners take literally years to sell.

I'd say you're better off to work on making it a runner and see what you get, than to try an extensive mod like this - unless you can really pull it off. Better to have a running stocker than a non-running car with a chop that didn't come out that great.

24. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

I think the section with no chop looks awesome!

25. Yours is the little [chevy body] 25 series car.....they're already "chopped" about 2.5" over the bigger .....er, I forget the number designation for the bigger car but I had the bigger one and if you dump that car down with suspension mods, I PROMISE it will appear chopped already....run a pair of skirts [not my choice] and it'll look even longer and lower.....
    Just sayin, please photoshop it before laying flame to the body..here's my old 48 "big body" poncho with a decent lowering job...everybody loved it as-is.

Attached Files:

26. screwtheman

screwtheman

Don't chop that top... slam the whole thing to the ground!

27. Carson top maybe? For the record, I like it unchopped, but it's your car...

28. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Now that makes sense! Don't chop that thing. Drop it!

29. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

I have a cynic lives in my head. sometimes he gets out and I go...did i say that????

By the way..doesn't this one look like Lawnmower man?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  30. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Plan-B- would be cool also.The trunk lid would be your biggest challenge.You would have to totally slice and dice it to make it flow with the rest of the body.If you think your capable GO FOR IT! You might be able to use a section of the roof you cut off to skin your trunk lid.Of course you will have to build a new innerstructure for it. This is what I call having fun,now get out there and fire up the sawzall.