Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is Morty discontinuing HOP UP Magazine ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bubba67, Jul 11, 2009.

1. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Just got my new issue of HOP UP and unless I'm misinterpreting what I read it seems that Morty is discontinuing the magazine. Does anyone know for sure if this is true ? If it is, is he just ending the printed annuals or ending the website too ? I hope this is not the case as HOP UP was the medium that started my love of our kind of rods and it would be a crime for it to go away...again !

2. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I kinda got that hint as well, hopefully it is not the case.

3. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

I saw that too - ????
    I do hope they keep it going - the new X issue is the best ever.
    I find myself picking up one of the old ones a re-reading stuff all the time.

Mort - Let's go for XX!

4. GreggAz

GreggAz

at the father's day show he told me that this is the end of the annual. He sounded as though he thought he may bring it back some day. He also said that he has some other ideas in the works.

5. 31modelo

31modelo

This not good. Hope he comes out with something soon. Sad to see a really good mag like Hop UP go.

6. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Given the fly by night nature of so many rod & custom mags, it's refreshing to see a publisher be open about changes like that.

7. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

umm ......bring back rod and custom !

8. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

A new, similar publication is coming in to take its place.

9. Damn, I better go order X. I have all the others, sounds like this one promises to be flying off the shelf.

10. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

11. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I hope it comes back as a extra big book with more pages.

12. FASI

FASI

I notice the post about bring back R & C. i didn't see anything that says it is gone and certainly nothing from R & C telling subscribers about it going. Is it going or gone???

13. Harms Way

Harms Way

Hop Up !!!!,..... Just great !,..... well I guess that just ruined my week ! :mad:

14. I better start finding the few issuse I don't have before the prices get out of control. Sad to see it go.

15. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I think that ten ( X ) is a nice round number to stop at. It's a lot of work , and maybe ten years is long enough to do anything, cut the guy some slack ! We should all just be happy with what we got .

16. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

philly the greek is absolutely right. I think Morty has a lot on his plate and the magazine took a lot of time to do right, plus maybe the returns just weren't there. You can only do so much for love. I'm really grateful to Morty for featuring my last car in his last issue. (Husker Highboy) I couldn't think of any book I would rather have it in.

17. R&C Lee

R&C Lee
    from SoCal

Rod & Custom is not gone and is doing just fine. Lots of good stuff coming up.

18. WOW, this is devastating news and also the first I heard of it,I dont have the newest issue yet. This really bums me out because the one time a year that this annual would come out they would show all the poser mags (like stuff from coolhouse publications and there are some other catastrophies as well) the way it is really supposed to be done. I cant believe this,what are the reasons ??? if any ??

19. no hot dog roast this year at the salt either. Kinda disapointing. But every one has shit they need to do and he does too.

20. Mad~Max

Mad~Max

I like reading a recent editorial aloud while we are driving cross country. Everyone in the car can't keep from laughing their asses off! We'll be repeating sentences out loud the whole weekend, and keep laughing.

It's the stylized prose and the apes with a wrench in high contrast.

21. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

according to Richard Hart ( Richards Stuff) this is it...last one....

22. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

It never fails, if I really enjoy something it gets discontinued. First it was Cleopatra2525, then it was Mag-neto, now Hop up. That's it I don't like the HAMB anymore.

23. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I'm sure Mort won't leave us hanging, he'll give us some other form of food for thought. I love Hop Up! Issue VI (?--the one with Diana Branch's sedan) got me through my hospital stay after rolling the bucket. Everyone read it out loud to me to keep my spirits up.

24. Crankhole

Crankhole

Say it isn't so!
    Well, at least we still have OSR. :eek:

25. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Great magazine, definatly a blow to the community. But hey things happen and times change. I'm just greatful to have all of my back issues.

26. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

What a pisser! I'm glad Morty did it as long as he did though- I read those things over and over and over and over.... you get the idea. I can't wait to see what he'll put out on the shelves next...

27. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

that sucks, never subscribed, but still manage to get my greasy hands on a couple issues

28. J's on squares

J's on squares

hop up was cool. but The Rodders Journal is still my fav. its still goin strong and getting even better.

29. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

sorry , old joke from the 70s when petersen killed it
    the street rodder said it all the time

30. sileo in pacis veritas