Register now to get rid of these ads!

Suicide Front End...yay or nay?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy13, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost28

Ghost28

Build what you want but if the cab is in fair shape keep in mind you might want to go a different direction later on. Meaning fenders and the rest, so just don't hurt it, and at least put a good seal coat of paint on it. Other wise it is just like the guys that have a hoard of cars there going to fix up some day and they just rust away...Oh and back to your question suicide front suspensions are being overdone so a little more traditional style axle will always be in style and safe. But it is your build...ghost

2. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

[​IMG]

I dont like the over hang from the cowl, its just begging for fenders...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  3. Shobra

Shobra
    from SLC, Utah

Maybe it's the wide whites but .......Scrubline.......?

4. HotRod33

HotRod33

I say Don't ruin a great looking truck.... but its yours to do with what you want.... I hate fenders on early fords thats why mine is fenderless.. but I had a 48 pickup for 19 years and it had fenders.....

5. roughidle

roughidle
    BANNED
    from iowa

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like suicide axles, they drive and ride just fine. Just would not look good on a 40 ford pu.

6. She was a tranny?!!!:eek:

7. Those trucks look great full fendered and slammed , I say don't screw it up by hacking it up!

8. 2manyprojects

2manyprojects

Does that mean SHE had A "ROD" and was looking for a SUICIDE place to put it!!!:eek::eek:

9. trad27

trad27

well said

10. whiteyford

whiteyford

dont take it too hard, opinions are like........
    i bought (and have since sold) a previously choped 40 cab, was going to slap model a fenders, and a 19" dually setup just for fun, not traditional like my 28a but fun, thats what hot rodding is all about, do what makes u happy without grossly overshooting ur skillset or budget

Attached Files:

11. Thank God you sold it before doing that :D ;)

I get sick and tired of hearing excuses like that to screw up a car (or truck). Just because you don't have a bunch of money doesn't mean you should build a POS. Either sell it, 40's are desirable and will net you money that you can spend on something more complete or work your ass off and get the rest of the parts. 40 pickup fenders are available in glass if steel are too expensive and you can put it together as something that will actually look like a Hot Rod not a Pile.
    And if you are set on building a Rat Turd then don't come on a Traditional Hot Rod board and spew a bunch of crap just go to a site that actually likes junk.
    Deal with it.

12. nitrojoe

nitrojoe
    from Midway,nc

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tman
    Hmmmm, tires will not line up in the fenderwells then? I say ratrod bullshit, a 40 PU is one of the best looking trucks ever made, build it with all the tin like it SHOULD BE BUILT. Fuck up a 46 Dodge if you want a fenderless POS.

Yea ,what he said!

13. I vote NO! What more proof do you need? That thing defiantly has an Adams apple. BTW, rustbelt, you speak so eloquently on the subject. Tell us, is that the voice of experience, hmmm?

14. One of Newton's laws that can't be argued....NEVER, NEVER go backwards in time with grille shells. :eek::eek:

15. wow I thought this thread was going to be about suicude front ends. I was hoping for some pictures and stuff.

16. oj

oj

So much for an objective discussion of front end geometry and engineering science. 'And the shit fan burst forth'

17. Muttley

Muttley

Because they dont really want the truth. What they want is a response like "Yeah that is the coolest idea ever. Go forth and conquer with thy RatRod. Ye shall have the finest meats and cheeses whilst heaps of admirers praise thy creation and accolades such as feature articles from the likes of OlSkoolRodz be laid at thy feat." BTW your idea sucks.

18. Actually thats a 38 and the pics don't do it justice. Tonys truck is one of the few that pull it off when you see it in person. Call me a hypocrit.

19. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Pharisee, actor, attitudinizer, backslider, bigot, bluffer, casuist,charlatan , cheat, con artist, crook, deceiver, decoy, dissembler, dissimulator, fake, faker, four-flusher, fraud, hook,humbug, impostor, informer, lip server, malingerer, masquerader, mountebank, phony, playactor, poser, pretender, quack, smoothie, sophist, swindler, trickster, two-face, two-timer, wolf in sheep's clothing....but sir I refuse to call you a hypocrit!.....maybe a hypocrite though...

20. Yeah, temp computer and sticky keys make this fakir miss letters at times.;) But, spell check targeted two of yours as well :p

21. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

damn....

I just copy and pasted though

22. AD

AD

Torchmann: "Did you ever notice yet that the people who become great don't give a flying fruitbat about what anyone thinks and the people who are trying to be special never make it
    The only people who really care about how your image affects you is your folks and best friends. everyone else that cares about your image is going to be wrapped up in how your image makes them look compared to who they want to be.
    people can get upset when you don't subscribe to their scene. They think you don't care about them when really you don't care about their jacket.
    If you walked around with a stack of pancakes on your head, only other people wearing pancakes would understand and everyone else without pancakes would be pissed
    Your a mortal, you won't ever be an establishment. An image is flat, a 2 dimensional snapshot of history or an idea. Don't be an image, be an event."

Now THOSE are words to live by. But dood, i'm not even gonna give you my opinion,, just check these photos out>> chopped and slammed (w/ zephyr back fenders) >>
    [​IMG]
    >
    [​IMG]
    >
    [​IMG]
    >
    [​IMG]
    >
    [​IMG]
    >
    [​IMG]
    >
    [​IMG]
    >
    [​IMG]
    >
    [​IMG]
    >
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  23. trad27

trad27

Just think about this: This guy probobly heard from everybody that it was going to be stupid, and he did it anyway. Does it make this car any cooler? did he prove anybody wrong? or were they just trying to warn him?
    [​IMG]

24. Muttley

Muttley

"Everybody" was right, it is stupid.

Uhh...............no.

25. The_Monster

The_Monster

Theres so much talk of "fucking it up" and "rat rod"

How can you fuck it up? If you want to go back to stock, cut off the suicide perch, grab some front fenders and now everyone is relaxed. Okay, original fenders are non-existant? Buy 'glass or rework some shitty ones.

Ratrod? Everyone on this forum should know the true description of a ratrod:

=======================================================
    1. Find worthless scrap tin, rotted beyond repair that still resembles a traditional shape with the worst split and cracked original tires you can find. Tip: Look along creek beds or any being used as an outhouse.

2. Get it with a rolling chassis with original EVERYTHING and dont bother upgrading ANY of it, especially the brakes, electrical and fuel system. Show obvious disregard for safety whenever possible throughout the 17 hour build.

3. Use chicken-shit welds with zero penetration, poor design and lack of craftsmanship throughout while chopping and channeling the shit out of it.

4. Leave EVERY part rusty as hell with no intent for future improvements, repair or windows.

5. Make it loud and powerless, let it deliberately run like shit and smell like piss.

*BONUS* If you have any cash left over after spending.....what..... $50 on the entire build up to this point, spend it on the following items:

mexican blankets, flame throwers, barbed wire grill, a really bitchin shift knob and hand letter "Fuck Off" on the trunk lid in a script font.
    =======================================================

This doesnt sound like that kind of a build.

26. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

You meen like a '32 shell on an A or an A shell on a T. No you'd never want that lol..... Just bustin' your chops I know what you meen. I've never been to Into Pre '35 stuff on bobber trucks.

27. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

The older shells don't have enough mass to look right out in front of a cab that large, and are usually to vertical and boxy to flow with the more laid back and rounded lines of the later cabs. As for the suicide front if your going to do it just don't stretch it WAAAYYYYY out in front of the truck or you will end up with a RR looking ride. Remember above all else YOU have to be happy with it not a bunch of guys on some message board that you've never meet. That being said there are a lot of talented people on this board and we all learn from eachother.

28. maybe he was actually expecting opinions about the question he asked, instead of everyone's opinion on fenderless 40's trucks

29. and here's some inspiration for ya Jalopy13.. if you go fenderless on a 40's ford cab (up to 47) use a hood or it really doesn't look right..

Attached Files:

30. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

That is an awesome parts hauler!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.