Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sorry OT....Old Semis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zumo, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zumo

Zumo

Why don't we see old tractor trailers restored or on the road? Besides the obvious reasons. You figure you would see tons in junk yards at least anyway.

[​IMG]

2. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

Learn the location of an ATHS show in your area, and watch the nearby roads starting the day before. You will see some of those old trucks, often hauling a second on the bed or trailer. You'll also find some fun hot rods made from old trucks at all but the most pure shows.

I'm always amazed how far some guys will drive at 2 mpg to get to one of these shows.

I generally show the same truck I took to BilletProof at an ATHS show.

3. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

OldSub has got it right. ATHS (Antique Truck Historical Society http://www.aths.org/ ) is the place to check on. The guys that do restore them, tend to do a pretty darn good job too and spend tons of cash on them. You would be amazed at how much some of them spend on them. You think restoring an old car is expensive. Try dragging an old semi out of the heap and getting it back to looking new again. It is often very difficult to impossible to find decent replacement parts and sheet metal too. Not an under taking for the timid. Plus, there isn't much demand for the big old trucks either, so resale is very limited. And also, old trucks just aren't as powerful, efficient, fast, or easy to drive as the new ones, so they aren't really that useful to restore for their actual original intended purpose for the most part, just for show. That is why you don't see to many.

4. roughidle

roughidle
    BANNED
    from iowa

Like OldSub said, go to a truck show. There's always some there.

5. 51delivery

51delivery

I went to the Antique Truck show at Auburn IN a few years ago. There were lots of great semis. More than I had seen before or since. If you like big trucks go to one of their shows.

6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

What is the most desirable or holy grail of the semi's? Got pic's?

7. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Arguably this - 1944 Sterling prime mover. Rare Wartime civilian model, rare manufacturer, rare tandem rear, rare chain drive, doubly rare chain drive tandem rear, NHRS Cummins diesel, 1400X24 rubber, beastly large. Worth 6 figures.

Otherwise, it's usually Macks that bring big $.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 101.jpg
      101.jpg
      File size:
      57.7 KB
      Views:
    • 102.jpg
      102.jpg
      File size:
      88.8 KB
      Views:
  8. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

went to one of the truck shows mentioned above,just to kill a nice spring afternoon,had a blast ,really some interesting stuff. keep a watch out for one of thses shows,it's pretty cool.

9. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Holy Crap! That thing is awesome. Love it.
    I hope it is worth 6 figures because it probably took that to restore that to that condition.

10. Man, I LIKE that Sterling. What kind of truck is that in the first post?
    Thanx

11. Gotta think a close second is the Dodge/Chrysler "Airflow" tanker from about 1939. I've seen two: One at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, and a rough but original Texaco at the Indiana Transportation Museum - the latter may or may not exist 13 years later given this is primarily a rail museum, but it certainly deserved restoration and was a hell of a lot better than a lot of the shit I drag home here in New York.

12. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

13. Tortron

Tortron

<table border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2">[​IMG]

some movie heritage with this one
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

14. LowFat48

LowFat48

These are cool.......

Attached Files:

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

This is going to be a GREAT THREAD!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for starting it! The Macungee, Pa. show was last month, largest one in this area.

16. Hoop-in-JAX

Hoop-in-JAX

[​IMG]

"some movie heritage with this one"
    <!-- / message -->

17. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

This is one cool looking truck!
    I love the lowness, tires..chain drive is neat.. that stack of springs..and what looks like a cast rear crossmember with the name on it.

18. Old Roadster

Old Roadster

Great thread...........Keep it going love those old work horses. Went to Macungie good show. Lancaster has some good shows, Gerharts is one later this summer.

19. havi

havi

OT or not, this thread has garnered my interest. I also like the big old trucks, and have a '49 F8 in the works. There's another fella over on FTE, among several others, that just fired up his F800.
    I'll second, third, fourth, the ATHS.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  20. krooser

krooser

21. 62rebel

62rebel

i'd imagine that truck inspection regs are lots tighter than car regs, and make things pretty tough to do compared to what car guys can get away with these days! that Stirling is one purposeful looking machine!
    i used to work for a guy that had a B-1 Mack dump truck on his lot; loved the look of that thing. most old trucks up Virginia way got worked to death hauling pulpwood (pupwood in redneckese) off the mountains.

22. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

great thread, these trucks deserve recognition, they helped build a lot of this country. Off topic or not I think a lot of guys on here have a soft spot for old trucks, I know i always have since I was a little kid. Red Sovine always had a great way of writing songs about these old girls. I think a lot of why we like these trucks are the stories and the history of the drivers, I put up a couple of links to Red Sovine songs, when you hear his music you can just hear these old girls starting up and getting ready to run down the roads. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY4BV14OZzQ

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  23. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

24. lugnutz9032

lugnutz9032
    from Palatka,Fl

25. The old trucks are kinda cool but big so unless ya had a junkyard or a trucking company where would ya store it. I know I could never get away with having one parked in my neighborhood. It kinda makes me wonder, back when scrap prices were thru the roof imagine what one a those old dogs musta brung over the scale.

26. The first truck posted is a Fageol,,,,Oakland CA ,,,about a '38

27. I really dig this thread. That truck from "Duel" gave me nightmares when I was a kid :) I think one of those Labatt's beer truck/art deco looking rigs would be the ultimate car hauler.

28. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Man, hadn't heard that in a long time. That has got to be truly the saddest song I have ever heard. :(

29. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

havi<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_4110251", true); </SCRIPT>

In your third picture ,check out how the driver is dressed,

I love the fact that back in the day ,people took pride in what they did for a living,

I remember the bus drivers also had hats and ties ,

Now days its shorts and flip flops for a lot of jobs....

Just saying WOW .....PRIDE.....WHO would think..........

OK ............Im BACK TO REALITY................

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.