Register now to get rid of these ads!

who would be willing to give or sell me a hot rod cheap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dhughins, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhughins

dhughins

i am a 33y/o with wife and kid. i sold all my projects when my wife hurt her back in feb. (that cash didn't last long.) she had surgery in april and is back at work and i am curious if i can find a free or cheap project to play with. i have found 2 1966 galaxies about 300 miles from where i live(for 3000 each). no way to get them here.i dont own a trailer or a garage for that matter. but i would like to see if anyone would give me or sell me cheap (under 3000 dollars) a drivable 1940-1970 model car that could be a cool hotrod.any thing with 2 doors? i live in southeast alabama.

dave ramsey would not be proud. but i need something to tinker with.

2. James427

James427
    BANNED

LOL, and while you are all in a giving mood, I'll take a Duece.

3. good luck with that

4. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

try craigslist.com

5. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

""i am curious if i can find a free or cheap project to play with.""

play with yourself. that's always been free.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  6. roundvalley

roundvalley

Just posted some FREE backing plates. You got to start somewhere!

7. henry29

henry29

Ummm, looks like you have a 64 chevy pickup to play with.

8. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

I got a seized up 350 engine....thats a start. Pay the freight and I'll ship it to ya

9. Better yet, play with others whenever possible.

10. 5window

5window

Ok,clowns. I,too, first thought this was humorous, but the guy has a child and his wife needed surgery so he sold his stuff. How's that funny? Would you guys really tell your wife that you're sorry but her surgery would have to wait because you're playing with your cars?

I think you did the right thing and although I'm too far away and don't have a project to contribute anyway,surely someone can help the you out? The HAMB's come through before for far less deserving causes.

11. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Hey, at least the dude has 3 large to shell out.

12. Are you for real?:confused:

If you are in dire straits you don't need a project,,take care of your family first and worry about a project when you can get back on your feet! HRP

13. RodStRace

RodStRace

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  14. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

I agree, any projects should always come after the family is taken care of.

15. AMEN to that

16. dhughins: This can be a very tough crowd. Probably not the place to go begging for a free or cheep project, but stranger things have happened.
    Good luck with your family, they should be your first concern.

17. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

Reminds me of the time, DragginAss asked for used motor oil........
    :)

18. ok. it sounds like they guy had some issues, took care of business. his wife is working and it appears from his post after reading through it several times that they are back on their feet and he's looking for a project.

rather than posting a want ad here on the main board, you may want to try looking through the classified section in the "cars for sale" section. you might also try craigslist...

hope that helps.

19. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

I know where some cheap projects are that I passed on but getting them from Oklahoma to you is the catch? Good luck!

20. dhughins

dhughins

thanks 5window i didnt think i was asking for too much.i was really surprised to find so many laughers. i hear of people making barn finds all the time, but have never had one myself. the 64 pickup was sold. that's why i dont have anything now.i figured i would never know if i didn't ask. i check craigslist 2x a day.thanks all.

21. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

ha hah ah hhah hahahahahah!!!! I forgot about that! :):D

22. 55chieftan

55chieftan
    from Maryland

Check the HAMB's classifieds. I just looked and saw a handful of good projects for under 3,000 on the first page. Just be patient in your search and look everyday. I've been looking for around a year on the HAMB's classifieds and just recently found what I was looking for. If you are patient you'll find a great project. Best of luck and glad to hear your wife is doing better and working again. :)

23. 454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR

454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR
    from Selden, TX

go to the hamb classifieds and do a search for the word free. there's some pretty cool stuff on there. one guy was getting rid of a buick straight 8, i saw a couple of truck cabs on there, and an old buick that needed SERIOUS help.

24. dhughins

dhughins

i check craisgslist 2x daily ebay daily and hamb classifieds weekly. i also check local classifieds, autotrader, american classifieds, everywhere. there just aint nothing that runs within 100 miles of zip code 36360 for $3000.(which i will borrow, thats why dave ramsey would not be proud) thanks for all the concerns but my wife has returned to work and is doing great. i want a car that we as a family can take to local cruise nights and enjoy. my daughter is 11 and i love spending time with her.

25. I bumped my classified back to the top and so far not even a response. If you want a cheap car, plan to have to actually work on it, don't expect something you just need to wash and wax or give a tune-up to, it might need paint or bodywork or another engine put in it or who knows what.

Well, unless it's like a Ford Falcon or something, there's a few cars that have virtually no value even in nice shape. 61-66 Ford trucks are another virtually worthless vehicle, have seen drivers sell under $1000 in the past. Which is probably where your money is best spent, buy something so worthless you can get a good one and not have to sink a ton more money into it right now.

26. If $3k is your budget, just be patient...and if you are looking for a cruiser, look for a Buick, Olds, Pontiac 4 door or wagon from the early to mid 60's.

Good luck, and look in the classifieds...

27. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Where's the Love.

I'm terribly disappointed in you folks.

P M to follow

28. jagfxr1949

jagfxr1949

I am glad that your wife is doing well. Family does come first I know. for the past year my wife and I have been dealing with her second round of cancer - she is doing very well right now. duing that time I found many friends willing to help out as they could. I did not have to sell any porojects due to her having good insurance, but most of the Hotrod money went other places.
    As rustynewyorker pointed out, once you get out of the mainstream cars/trucks such as early Ford or tri-five Chevy there are some decent deals to be had. You might consider even things like Studebaker's Lark (the wagons are very cool). They are out there - maybe one is along side the road or next to a house with and old for sale sign. Be patient and somehing you will be happy with will find you.

29. 454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR

454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR
    from Selden, TX

It never hurts to stop and ask if you see one too, my '60 gmc was free if i hauled it off right then, and a friend threw in a motor he didnt want. i have about $100 bucks in this project so far, including the tow out to my house.

30. dhughins

dhughins

thanks to all. i really feel the love. i knew there would be some smarta**es but they don't bother me i have a sense of humor. i am willing to take any make or model for the right price. i want something cool to cruise. you can make a lot look good with just a set of classic wheels and tires. i figured a ford dodge chevy would be easier to find parts for than the others though. studes olds and so on are hard to find sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.