Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 61-64 Pontiac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pitts642, Jul 9, 2009.

1. This is a 55-64 B body Pontiac thread.. Anything pertaining to 55-64 Ponchos is game here..

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2011
  2. You've seen my convertible and probably Alex Gambino's (actually his wife's). Lowering is pretty easy....and your first step. I did mine with 64 GTO rear springs and coils cut from the front.....then some gas shocks and it rides great. Put you some Watson style panel paint and you are good to go! :)

Attached Files:

OG lil E likes this.
  3. Here's a few more. The first one is the 63 Gran Prix Larry Watson did his first lace job on. Also in the mix is RoadApple's Bonneville on Cragars....he's the guy that publishes Church magazine.

Attached Files:

OG lil E likes this.
  4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Ideas: Dual gate shifter would be nice, but outside, the car looks great, don't mess with something that looks great already.

BTW: How is the bell housing shipping coming along? PM or email me!

5. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

holy cow leave that car alone! Its perfect!

6. Master of None

Master of None

If you ever need parts for that car there is a guy from my hometown that used to be a Pontiac dealer in the 60's. Hes got N.O.S chrome to complete motors to literature. Hes also a collector with tons of info. he was notorious for ordering fully loaded high hp cars. P.M me if you would like his name and #.

7. robtech

robtech

reckon the gto rear springs would work for a 65 bonne as well as the 61-64? how much did it lower it?

8. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeff, I love your car. We've got a lot of common ground, so I look forward to sharing ideas with you.
    Rock

9. [​IMG]

I thought you were a big hydro advocate? Now you are switching?

Steve
    Hosting-
    8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! Phoenix
    www.nostalgicshowandgo.org

10. 31 chevyguy

31 chevyguy
    from seymour tn

Are you using a short or long tailshaft TH-400

11. [​IMG]

I understand. I also used thm 400s with low gear planetaries, both 2.75 low and 3:1 low, from 1985 until 2008. Over the close to 23 years, I personally broke 3 of them over about 300,000 miles. These were all in street Pontiacs. Not saying they are bad. I did get a fair amount of miles on them but, it is now way better to just use a 700r4. They are much cheaper now, you get the low first gear, plus overdrive plus lock conv.
    When I switched from a custom low gear 400thm like you are building, to a 700, my mileage increased at least 25%. The rear gear stayed the same at 2.73. 25% more range and less operating costs is a bunch, nothing to sneeze at.

Just sharing my own experiences.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Are you headed west to Ca? Moving or vacation?

Steve

12. [​IMG]
    I liked both low gear sets. i thought the 3:1 was good too. If I did not break it, it probably would still be in my car. I bought that 3:1 low 400thm from a bracket racer in the early 90s who had a 73 Firebird. He told me he took it out and changed to a PG. He said car was quicker with 3:1 low 400thm but, not as consistent with the big gear drop. Being a bracket racer, that was more important. Not sure how many 10 second passes that trans had but, I got over an additional 100,000 miles on it in my '72 GTO before if came apart in 2008. metal shavings in the pan big time.
    anybody who I let drive the car did not believe it had a 2.73 gear in it until they reached hiway speeds. The 455 didn't care about the gear drops. it was in its torque range and loved it.

I thought I had a 2.56 gear in my car. Over the summer, I had to service the 12 bolt POSI under it because it was making noise. The rear has many more miles than the car does even thought the car has over 300,000 itself. When I took it apart, I learned it was a 2.73 not a 2.56.

My '66 GTO has the 2.56 and also uses a 700r4.

Still way better to use a 700 IMO and it is smaller yet than the 400.

I have already installed my fresh 700r4 n the chassis of my 61 Catalina Safari and look forward to using a 3rd Pontiac now with a 700r4.

Steve
    Hosting-
    Thur-Sun April 8-11, 2010 12th annual Pontiac Heaven Phoenix www.pontiacheaven.org
    Sunday April 11, 2010 8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! Phoenix www.nostalgicshowandgo.org

13. [​IMG]

In '85, I built my first roller cam motor and used it as primary transportation. That was also the first time I used a 2.75 low 400thm. It was a blue '72 GTO and was my first car in the 11's.
    Later, I used another roller in a 69 project with a 5 speed trans.

I haven't used a roller on the street since the early 90s. Of course, I use them on my boats and race cars.

Steve

Hosting-
    Thur-Sun April 8-11, 2010 12th annual Pontiac Heaven Phoenix www.pontiacheaven.org
    Sunday April 11, 2010 8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! Phoenix www.nostalgicshowandgo.org

14. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. monsterflake

monsterflake

what adapter are you using to run a 700?

16. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know Bob Lundewall but I already have a huge amount of respect for him. That is unbelievably nice work on that ride.

17. [​IMG]
    The adaptors I use are actually home made. I am a casual hobby machist and a friend has access to a laser cutter. We had a used one and ended up cloning about a half dozen of them for our own use.

I do see them available through summit and jegs for around $50.

Steve

Hosting-

18. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. I was actually given this 61 catalina but had several projects already and no room or extra $$ for another project. My Pontiac buddy was with me and said "I'll take it"....I said ok and it's his car now. He's done a lotta work on it since he got it. It's a "nothin" car with 2 barrel 389 and slim-jim slip-o-matic. The 8 lugs were in the trunk and the interior was already done and stored in plastic bags...
    Wish I had more room

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  20. 700R4 is longer than a TH400 by a good bit. It's going to hit the tunnel on a Catalina or Gran Prix that had a slim-jim. I should know, I've torn apart a '64 Gran Prix and a big Suburban with a 700R4, within 100 feet of one another up to the farm.

That adapter won't work on a '61-'63 block, they have a unique pattern, have to go to like Bendsens for a big $$$ adapter. '64 blocks usually have provisions for a block mount starter, which lets you use later BOP pattern stuff with them.

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

Heres our 64 Laurention still has the orig 283 & glide, 3' drop springs and power discs...see if I can find a pic of its make over last summer

[​IMG]

22. koolkemp

koolkemp

23. skrapin_64

skrapin_64
    from Chino ,CA

thought id bring this back to the top. i have a 64 bonneville wagon that my dad gave me and i will be bagging it within the next month. anyone have any pics of the long roofs slammed on the ground?

im thinking of dropping it on some supremes and pinstripe whites and maybe a laced deep purple roof with a tan color from the window sill down and some bellflower tips.

heres a pic of the front clip off cause we were cleaning it up and rebuilding the front suspension

*****Also if anyone has or can get a LEFT REAR tail light extension for the 64 pontiac bonneville wagon i need it***

Attached Files:

24. Pic of a 64 Super Sport Paresienne. 327- 4 spd. Was my buddys car. Did the body and paint in 85 or so. Still looks good today.

Attached Files:

25. Polara Pat

Polara Pat

This is my '63 Parisienne, just got it on the road last Summer after many years of messing around. It already has it's share of small scratches in the paint so I don't feel guilty driving the bag off of it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

gotta56forme likes this.
  26. earlymopar

earlymopar

Great looking 63 Pat!

27. ryno

ryno

28. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

WOW man! GREAT Poncho !!!!!!

29. That is a Canadian version. Wondered how long it would take to notice if your not familiar with the cdn cars.

30. Ryno, Great 65. It makes me wanna forget my Riv's.