Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford in a chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LANCE-SPEED, Jul 2, 2009.

1. I saw a Vega with a 351 Cleveland at the Ford show at Atlanta a few years ago.

2. vertible59

vertible59

Hey FNG, I call bullshit on your waterpump theory. Don't take my word for it...check the parts books and be amazed at the number of different waterpumps for the sbc. Also, I seem to remember a time when the Chevy guys were searching for sbc angle plug heads like they were the Holy Grail. Maybe you should research the subject in question before you jump in.:eek:

3. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Fuck the naysayers, including the pansy asses on here. You want a y-block in a Chevy, make it happen!

All the more reason I had plans to stuff a Flathead into a 41 Chevy truck.

4. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I had a few Chevy's back in the day . Had Fords , Mopar's & Pontiac's . They were all in what they were suppose to be in . We I built race cars I ran Ford in Fords & Mopar in Mopars .
    You build you ride they way you want it and be happy no matter what people say because it's you hot rod !

Now my favorite engine is the Mopar 440 and would take that any day of the week 1

The real question I have for you Chevy guys & gals that put the SBC into a Ford and anything else they can stick them in . The thing I really don't understand is if you are so proud of your shit box sbc then why the F**K do you buy valve covers to make it look like the other motors like Olds , Pontiac and so on . Just put in the real thing instead of trying to make it look like something else ! That is just plain wrong and whatever you say it didn't cost anymore to build a BBF than a BBC and got a lot more HP out of the Ford for the money !

Just remember to enjoy your hot rod no matter what engine you use and drive it ! That's really the bottom line but don't stick a shit box sbc in it just because it came on a crate cheap ! If you want an engine to last and to beat the shit out of then buy a Ford , Mopar , Olds , Cadillac or Pontiac !

5. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

I can vouch on calling bullshit on that only one water pump shit!!! Wait till you put one on that is reverse rotation and see how pissed you can get.

I'm a Ford guy through and through, but have owned more Chevys and other makes than most people on this board. I can safely say that Ford motors are WAY better than any old ratty sbc.

I think the only reason people are so "Chevy" is cause it's all they have ever owned. I grew up in the used car business and can safely say I've seen it all. Fords are just better built cars, .

Because of my experiences w/chevy stuff is why I have said many times that I'm really thinking hard on putting a Ford in the 58 Chevy (car) that I'm building.

6. Razor72

Razor72

Just because I'm new to this board doesn't mean shit. You can think you're all cool with your 895 posts but, really that aint shit either to some others on here. Who the fuck are you? Who the fuck am I for that matter? Go ahead and look for your self. http://www.summitracing.com/search/...-Pumps/?Ns=Rank|Asc&rsview=ProductName&GRC=96 There are 96 listings in there all the same basic design!!! I didn't bothere looking for a Ford but go ahead, I know what I'm gonna find. Plus, I think only Ford had those stupid reverse spun pumps. I can go into and parts store and ask for a water pump for a 350 and they will give me the right pump. As long as it's not the dumbasses that have to type everything in the computer. I don't mess with fords. but, I have friends that do. My friend has a 302 and he had to go back to the parts store 10 times just to find the right one. He tells me he wishes he put the 350 in just so it would be easier. Besides, you never mentioned any part of that Last fucking spark plug!! That must be true huh?

7. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

8. wutihad

wutihad

I put my 302 in my 32 chevy because it's "what I had". 100 thousand miles and thirteen years later...NO REGRETS!!

9. vertible59

vertible59

OK mr smartass FNG... I said look at the PARTS BOOKS, not a Summit Racing Catalog! You know (I guess) those big books at a real parts house where they look stuff up. That's where you will find the number (not that it really matters) of different waterpumps for the sbc AND the sbf. They both made plenty of them for different chassis applications for each engine. If you cannot understand that, then you are more stupid than I. As for the same basic design, all sbf engines from the 221 through the 302 are just that. Like I said before, do the research and you will find the interchangeability is there. As I said before, Chevrolet made some angle plug heads that were much sought after at one time. Anyhow if you cannot change plugs in close quarters, no matter what engine you are dealing with, you need to find another hobby. Oh, and by the way, reverse rotation waterpumps are used in serpentine belt applications...just for your general info. Someday when I grow up, maybe I can be a cool guy that knows it all...just like you.

10. kidzintha34fodor

kidzintha34fodor

I always liked the 63-64 Nova hardtops! But I'm a Ford guy, I think a Hi-po 289 and a T-10 would be a nice fit!!! Just to get under the skin of the tried and true bow tie guy!!! And why not?? I've seem some dip-S...'s put SBC in falcons and mustangs! LOL guys!!! as long as it was made in America and was built by some guy in his garage who cares! do what floats your boat!

11. hot74roadrunner

hot74roadrunner
    BANNED

yeah but ill put all you chevy bastards to shame i just put a steel crank built 440 mopar in my 55 olds i had a built big block chevy in it before no comparison 440 smoked the 427 in every performance aspect if anybody out there wants to put a ford in a chevy bring it to me ill be glad to change your life

12. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I am a Ford junky my self and as far as building a traditional Hot Rod an early SBC would be good in an early Ford body if it is capturing the essence of the traditional look or era. But when a SBC is used in a non traditional style car such as Streetrods I could not justify not using the same engine make as the body it is going in. Because there are just so much stuff out there for Mopar Ford or Chevy performance as well as dress up shit. Hell most new style builds it is haqrd to tell what they havein them when the engine is covered up with all the fabrication pieces being applied to hide the engine.

13. Razor72

Razor72

You are so right. I am a smartass. Maybe you will be as smart as I am. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

14. whisky runner

whisky runner

its hard to believe all this "deep" talk in this thread..i have made my living since the 60's in and around engines..and in my opinion they are all the same (generally) they were once built to do a job...as far as preference goes i love the old caddy 472-500 engines ..they were cheap because no one wanted em and when ya stick one in a chevette or a pinto or gremlin as i have done..you had a instant hot rod...but ive always been a poorboy and was glad to have anything that would run with some amount of dependable use..but as i age (gracefully) i like the ford in ford chevy in chevy mopar where ever ya can use idea...ha ha ha just my dumb opinion

15. Damn I like this guy ! Has class ! lol. I would like to have that 324, maybe in my ford ? OH SHIT here we go again. LOL

16. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Because of the invisibility cloak. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Vertible59 and razor72 your both fng's in my book, jan or feb 09 both fngs!!! But, this has nothing to do with your knowledge on sbf's or sbc's. I think vertible59 needs to get out in the garage more, 850 post since jan?????????

18. Most early hot rods, 1932 to 1948 were Fords because they were cheap, plentiful, tough, handled better than most anything else, and stock, were the fastest thing for the money you could buy. (Look at stock car racing in those years....probably 90% Fords!)

When the SBC came out in 1955, it was VERY close to the flathead in weight, width, length, and shape, as opposed to the 1954-'55 Y-block Fords which were consideragly heavier, bigger, and most had a front-sump that interferred with the front axle...so the SBC made for a very simple conversion.

Cadillacs were the real 'hot ticket', and RULED 1949 to about '53!

(Hemis started creeping in about this time, but were extremely heavy and with their long integral bell housing on the early models were more difficult to install in Fords.)

Fords remained the chassis of choice due to availabillity, price, simplicity, relatively light weight, relatively good handling, and TRADITION for several more years

That's why my '53 has a Cadillac.

One of the great things about hot rodding, and the car hobby in general is: "The Only Rule Is...There Are NO Rules"

JG

Attached Files:

19. The Big M

The Big M

Shame on you for bastardizing a Gremlin with an off-brand engine... ;)

20. Crey

Crey
    from Tejas

Just build what ya got. Half the fun is making things work that they weren't origionally intended for anyway. It's called imagination.

21. teddyp

teddyp

you are one of the few people on this thread that seems to know what your talking about thank god :cool:

22. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

the ford stuff that made power was rare exotica
    the chevy stuff was super available
    the LS motor is closer to the cad V8 than any ford

23. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

ed cole was the head guy behind the cad v8 and the sbc

24. That's funny and so true... I told one guy who wouldn't give me a year, make and model that I'll just check and see how many ignition coils a sbc has and he can pick one.

Back then there was only 26 choices.

Sellin parts was sooo much fun!

I have always been a Ford guy, but I got nothing against any of the other makes. They all have different qualities that the other guy hasn't.
    Do what you feel.

25. vertible59

vertible59

Hope so.:D

26. vertible59

vertible59

I am a retired old fart and I enjoy this site and appreciate it for what it does for all of us. Yes, I hit this new fangled 'puter thing quite often during the day and night...if it is any of your business. I really made a mistake even reading this thread and calling out ignorance. I have done it before, but didn't learn from my mistake, but it won't happen again. As far as the Ford vs. Chevy argument...They are both good engines, and I have had experience with both, but for my own use, I prefer Fords. Let me say that I hope the current economic conditions allow both to survive so that the argument can continue for future generations. Can you just imagine suffering through Honda vs. Toyota battles?
    Maybe I am a FNG on this site, but I have been building stuff since the late '60s starting with a '46 Ford pickup and ending (maybe) with my '59 Ford ragtop that has been with me for nearly 23 years now. There were several in between the two listed, but I guess you are bored enough now. Anyhow, I dropped the top this afternoon and went for a nice refreshing cruise through through the Georgia countryside. Wasn't in the garage, as you suggest, but I was enjoying the fruits of many hours spent there.:)

27. 59flatbedford

59flatbedford

cuz all the guys with the smarts got um stashed away for there ford projects so all the other ppl gotta use the left over crap chevy.lol. but in the end long as it burns gas and rubber it dont really matter. how bout a hudson straight eight in a camaro or some shit like that should piss some ppl off.

28. Actually a guy with GM named Charles (Boss) Kettering was the engineering genius and main 'power' behind the Cadillac and Oldsmobile Rocket V-8s. Ed Cole was more of a body-design studio guy. Kettering was an engineer. The '49 Cad and Olds engines are still known by many to this day as the "Kettering engines."

(I believe Chas. Kettering is also the inventor of the points & condenser type of ignition system that became nearly universal in almost every car on the planet for many years.)

Within a very few years, after 1949, almost EVERY American manufacturer was using the 90-degree, OHV V-8 with cam-in-block and pushrod operated valves originally developed by Kettering.

JG

29. superbeeme

superbeeme
    from georgia

Its the smart thing to do!!!

30. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

i have nothing against a flathead or y block, but i'd take a chevy motor over the ones youve posted any day (except for that blown ardun flathead!!)

sorry to hurt your feelings ford guys! haha