Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bertolucci's '38 Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  2. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man he has been one of my favorites for a long time.. and a super nice gentalman to boot..

3. Dick Bertolucci is my favourite early customiser. That '38 Chev is a great custom, amazing

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

See... I couldn't decide - hot rod or custom? Sure, lots of custom work is done to the car, but it ran 107 in the quarter. A little of both I guess...

5. PoPo

PoPo

I would say its an early custom derived from a Rodder! if I was 14 and had a dad like that man I could never be disappointed.

Great story Ryan. Is there a paint code for that Bertolucci maroon. I want to paint my A a nice maroon and I'd love to find that color, couldn't get more traditional than that.

The world was such a better place back then. wow how things change

6. I'm in love with this car.. you don't see many 37-38 Chevys done right as a custom... I usually frown upon chopping a coupe, but this looks just right.

7. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I made a post last week here on the hamb Dicks shop Caught fire this last week here in Sacramento. I think the fire was contained to His body shop...

8. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

10. Rikster

Rikster

I love that car.. thanks for the story Ryan.

The color photo is from the TwoChops (Bill Johnson) Photo collection.

11. rick finch

rick finch

Dick Bertolucci is a legend in this town, and a finer gentleman you will never meet. He has done it all...Bonneville, drag racing, and of course his rods & customs. Having accomplished all of that, he remains a very humble man, and is easily approachable.

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

We got to hang out with him a bit at the GNRS when he was inducted into the HoF. He was unbelievable... His whole family is just full of good people.

13. froghawk

froghawk

Along with the '40 Ford, these Chevies have gotta the hardest cars in the world to chop properly. This one proves it can be done. It sure looked great at every stage of its life! Does it still exist?

14. Yes...I believe there's a thread on here regarding the car. I talked to Dick about it a couple of years ago...IIRC, there was a point in time when he sold off the car. Many years later, one of Dick's friends tracked the car down in Oregon. It wasn't originally for sale, but Bertolucci worked out a deal with the "owner"...apparently the guy set a fairly low asking price, but naturally, Dick tried to talk him down. The guy wouldn't budge, so Dick paid him in full.

He told me it's a very special car to him, mainly because it was the one he was married in.

Bryan

***EDIT*** Here's the link: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296395&showall=1

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

As much as I love the Bertolucci Maroon version I am equally struck by the first image of the white version. Car is pretty awesome for sure.

I would love to take a look at the 292 if possible.

16. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Dick Bertolucci--man, I'll read ANYTHING about him. Great post, and great job, Ryan. You talk about the HAMB being all growed up now--posts like this are perfect examples of that. Excellent!

17. It is just one of those cars that looked great as a Custom but ran like a hot rod. I'm sure it sent a few roadster owners home with their tail between their legs. Definitely both.

18. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Wide whites, a Packard grille and some times even skirts...That my friends is a fast custom. Ya naver heard anyone call Ayalas 40 Merc a hor rod, did ya? LOL

19. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

man, that coupe just looks so good. it´s a custom with a little extra poop to get it where it needs to go.

20. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

There's none better than Mr. Bertolucci. Beyond his obvious talents, He's just a plain nice guy that loves old Chevy's - especially inliners.
    Having him notice my car at Autorama and spend a bunch of time pointing out all the mods and talking with me about it is bar-none, THE highlight of my entire experience with building it.
    Thanks to Rikster for being there to snap a few pics.

Attached Files:

21. Flying Tiger

Flying Tiger
    from Japan

It's so nice to see something besides Ford. I love the Fords, but it's very refreshing to see something like a Chevy. That's pretty crazy how that thing did 130 at the lakes, especially considering that something like the Jack Calori's '36 was considered fast at 115 or so.

22. randingo8

randingo8
    Member Emeritus

The Bertolucci 38 Chevy is one of my favorites too. It has had an influence on how I built my 38 Dodge. Thanks for the great story Ryan.

[​IMG]

See Ya!
    Randy

23. As aways what a good read. And dick and Harry are two of my Favs to read about. MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

I'm probably number 1,000,000 on that list! It's beautiful.

25. ironbuyer

ironbuyer

I have been able to spend sometime with him over the years running with Shoemaker. Dick is a great inspiration and motivator. I heard about his shop from Judee Shoemaker over the weekend and hope it was contained to the body shop only. It would suck if some history was lost.
    Steve Glucoft
    Amocat Speed Emporium

26. flamingokid

flamingokid

Man,I like that car!

27. silverdome

silverdome

Sleek and Fast, I like it!

28. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I wrote to him years ago about a Stovebolt issue, and his reply was genuine, full of great information, and promptly replied to.

no way I'm thowing it out.

29. autobilly

autobilly

Great pic's, especially the first one at B'ville in colour. Bertolucci's '38 Chev proves that a smooth Custom can have both show & go!

30. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Thanks Ryan, again. Slim