Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford in a chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LANCE-SPEED, Jul 2, 2009.

1. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Talking with my dad who was roddin in the 50's-60's about mixin and matchin parts, he said they would try their best to keep the original integrity of their car alive. He is a currently a goldchainer and still believes in a chevy drivetrain in all projects? Why is it you very rarely see a ford driveline in a chevy?

2. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Cost more money so why would you do it.

3. Stick004

Stick004
    from Missouri

Because it would be a sin to put a proper engine in an improper car.

4. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I think its cus 95% of People are just scared or to Fucking Cheap to mess with anything else.

That & they use the age old Crutch .. " If i break i can buy parts anywhere"

I like to cross breed cus it Pisses off so many people :D

How about my DeSoto Hemi's in my '30 & '54 Fords ?

Or the '60 Pontiac in my F-100 ?

I have a long term possible project ... Nash Roadster with a '41 Cadillac Flathead :eek:

I know they arent Fords in a Chevy ... But you get what i am saying .... I Think ?

5. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

SBC's make a ton more power cheaper than a SBF bottom line! Also a lot of rods (Fords) running flatheads were converted to a 265, 283 or 327 as soon as they became available at a salvage.

6. carkiller

carkiller

In 1982 my driver was a 36 chevy cpe/289 shelby 2X4s no hood. Did it because every ass hole in the area wanted their F-100 camero stubbed and 350 SBC, I told one customer the next decent chevy body I got was gonna be ford powered. A week later the 36 chevy cpe was in my shop getting Ford powerd. Cal

7. Because it's like taking a fat chick to the prom. You might have just as much fun, but people look at you funny.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd take it one step further and say you shouldn't put a ford in any GM car.

it would be like having your dog and cat making kittenpuppies... just wrong on so many levels.

9. Right on! I just think the '54 needs a Y in it. :p

10. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

A buddy of mine had a 67 corvette drag car with a Ford 351C in it with 4V closed chambered heads, ran 9.20's in the 1/4, guy's with BBC's, or SBC's in door cars that were lighter couldn't run as quick as the 351C powered 67 vette did, it was funny as hell seeing how pissed off those chevy guys got when they couldn't out run it.

11. yeah thats why mustang 302's where whipping their asses with bowties in the late 80's and early 90's with 48 less cube's :rolleyes:
    Gm decide to put a sbc in everything they built, good thing is after GM closes their doors their legacy will live on in every streetrod/ratrod on the street..:D

12. shemp

shemp
    Alliance Vendor

Why not. Beats walking.

13. LongT

LongT

I want to put a Ford flathead in a Corvette.

14. roddinron

roddinron

Because hot rodding has always been about making things better and faster.

15. Big Khaunaa

Big Khaunaa

not true now days 10 years ago yes

16. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

My dad always told me the best way to make a ford go fast is to put a chevy in it!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. 416Ford

416Ford

One of the things being left out is the oil pump location and different motor mount locations on so many different Fords.
    Seems like Chevy V8's are almost all the same block to start with. I am sure I am wrong about that but it sure seems that way.

18. Bwaaahhaaaahaaahaaaa! :D You very funny man!

19. vertible59

vertible59

As long as I'm havin' fun...Fuck 'Em.:eek:

20. I think its becouse lots of rodders cant think past the SBC. any half assed wrench can build one and buy all the walmart chrome and look like cool. up till 1961 it was fords,olds caddy,hudson,stude,Buick,s that ruled the road, what did TV tommie use or Normy run in there T,s ? what did Thompson run in the challanger four pontiac mills. The SBC is a great mill bar none but not the king, Hotrod said five years ago that dollar per cube the 318 mopar was the king of the hill. there words not mine !
    but bottom line there cheap to build,and I have used them in lots of GM cars, but a mopar belongs in a mopar and a ford in a ford.

21. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

hahahaha, I like the way you think. Ford is only ok for the most part but lets face it , a Ford in a GM? That's just disappointing:(:confused::rolleyes:

22. 69fury

69fury

My 61 Falcon gasser has a Chevy straight axle installed decades ago and now is sporting a 415 inch LA mopar mill with the 727 and 8 3/4 right behind it. It's had a small ford, big ford, sbc, bbc, and now the LA in it. Because that's what the previous owners and me prefered or had handy.

I love my engine. It's my recipe of parts, my specs, my build that i put together and it makes good power. I wanted to find a light weight coupe to put it in and stumbled across the gasser falcon that was about to be evicted from the barn. If it weren't for the driver's side starter pissing off the steering box, the thing would be well under way. but we'll get her done.

23. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

It's much easer to but a belly button in then a ford you have to fabricate to but a ford in for a belly button you just buy parts and bolt on

24. This ( my son's) '51 Chevy P/U has a 351 Ford in it. Once saw a two year old Chevy Vega with a flathead Ford in it. That was definately an improvement over the original Vega engine

Attached Files:

25. 69fury

69fury

there is a guy in Kansas City i recently met with an Apache that has a 351 cleveland in it. That's the only mill with any wheaties in it, that he had at the time.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  26. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

I always thought it was because all those chevy guys like the ford bodies better..

27. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

There was a '78 T/A at the '82 Street Machine Nationals with a 460 Ford in it. It looked 100% factory, he even went so far as to hook up all the smog equipment.

28. It's funny how the latest scrub (chebbie) V8 has a lot more in common with Ford engines than they do with thier scrub ancestors. Like the port arrangement is like most Fords (302s, 351s, 460s), four head bolts per cylinder spread out instead of close to the bore like most Fords (302s, 351s, 460s) no more distortion at the top of the bore, the way the coolant is circulated through the block and heads is like the old 351C, 351M-400 and even the displacment, bore and stroke are pretty near the same as the old 292 (294 3.78" x 3.264"). It's like all new GM trucks, SUVs and cars with a V8 has a Ford engine in it from the factory anyway. :p

29. teddyp

teddyp

who cares what motor anyone runs if they put a sbc in a ford thats cool if the put a mopar and they like it thats cool too hell if they put a ford in a ford even that,s cool what sucks is making remarks like he took the easy way it,s a hot rod he put what he likes in it and and lot of guy,s just like sbc,s

30. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

I know this is not tradition, but here is a very healthy 347 SBF that has been shoehorned into a 68 Camaro. This little motor puts out 465hp..............that's WWHP.

Attached Files: