Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Pinstripe galore or bust!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gene Rator, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Gene Rator

Gene Rator
    from sweden

Well, my point is that tooo many pinstripes on cars are just a carbon copy of some traditional style. A style that just seems to be standing still. As an art form, it has stagnated. Oh, they're executed with so much talent, but don't seem to be going somewhere. And as an art form, that's odd.
    So, I was glad to see an pinstripe that stood out. Sorry though that it was old. It's from another thread: "Kustoms", picture posted by Rik and it's the famous Moonglow (sad to say also copied but as a full car, but this is the real thing).
    Am I just grumpy? I really stand for "build original, not copying".

So now..I would really like to see some different but cool pinstripe pictures from you, guys! But they have to be from our time.

[​IMG]

2. 00 MACK

00 MACK

No, youre not just grumpy. Pinstriping has become a passage way for alot of non automotive posers with no grip on the evolution of customizing or hot rodding to enter into the car world. Once a striper or any artist stops evolving, they should stop. As far as good striping, anyone under the age of 40 is usually an amateur who cant evolve because of the fact that they havent grasped all the fundamentals of the carft. If you are a good judge of striping or a pro, you can spot em from a mile away!

3. If you think the art form has stagnated you're not paying attention. There are a lot of amazing new pinstripers working today and pulling fantastic lines... following traditional layout and design techniques. Simplicity, balance, flow, contast... standard and timeless.

Unfortunately for many, moving the art form forward meant the development of heartbeat graphics, heavy-handed and off-balanced abstracts, and swooshy, feathery big rig lines. I'll stick to tradition, thanks.

4. Big Khaunaa

Big Khaunaa

[​IMG]

im happy with the way mine came out

5. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

6. Sprcheese

Sprcheese

Wolf I've seen your stuff it rocks!

7. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

trunk of my 63 merc, done by ray benson
    [​IMG]

trunk of my 61 coupe deville, done by 6inarowjoe
    [​IMG]

8. Flying Tiger

Flying Tiger
    from Japan

Man that's cool!

9. DJR13

DJR13
    from Venice, Ca

I would have to agree. I am a bit tired of seeing the same old "Christmas Trees" and "Totem Poles".

Wolf- I really like how your pieces flow. Nice motion.

10. Gene Rator

Gene Rator
    from sweden

Seems to be two sides to this matter, as stated by 00Mack and Big A. And pictures posted are terrible nice too!
    But they are as I stated, traditional and well executed. Maybe they're posted as a protest to what I say? no...
    Now, I don't want to offend anyone, I just want to see some inovated stuff. Like that Moonglow pinstripe, some really different. I did a pinstripe on one of my friends' record bag. It ended up as a big wave, inspirered by Japanese ancient art. Sorry no pictures. Was on my way to do a pinstripe job on a rebuilt car, friend of mine's station wagon to a pick-up work. On that short roof, I thought of a complete pinstripe covering, like a comic book blast/explosion from the absolute center to all four corners. Didn't happen, he never finnished the build..

11. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

well that moonglow peice is no more than some striping and a character with strange legs IMHO not that thats a bad thing. are you refering to when people hide devils and stuff in the design?

12. 00 MACK

00 MACK

That guitar is just sensational. Thats why I used the word,"usually".

13. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

thanks for the kind words fellas

14. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

coming from the man himself, im gona gloat on that for a while :D

15. FATT STRIPES

FATT STRIPES

no doubt you must not be familiar w/ pinheadlounge.com, scroll through the "most discussed" section and see if that dont wet your whistle

16. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

17. DJR13

DJR13
    from Venice, Ca

Mr. Wim's stuff...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. Good to see this thread turning to inspiration instead of argument.

Wolf, that Gretsch is awesome.

19. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

man, those six strings are bad ass!

20. Gene Rator

Gene Rator
    from sweden

Good stuff from Mr. Wim! More pix, pleeze! Fatt stripes, goin' that recommended way! And look what I found. I really like it when the symetry breaks up. Now, is it possible to applicate it on a custom? Would it really look good? Maybe not this big.. Comments?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  21. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

There is a pinstripe file in my fotki photo site below that will keep you busy for awhile...

22. This one makes me go crazy :eek:
    Nice work though...

23. Not my cup of tea, but I appreciate the work. The reason people on here like traditional is because that's what this board is dedicated too. I like traditional cars, so of course I like to do traditional pinstriping. I tend to like single color line work on hot rods and some kustoms, some of you may not dig it , but look back and see what they were doing back than. As for the age thing I am soon to be 40, my mentors are in their mid 60's-early 70's. I look at some of the Japenese stripes for inspiration

24. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

<----------------- i like it

25. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I fall under this catagory.......
    Many of the local old timer striper's look down on us younger guys, as were "moving in" on their "turf".....:rolleyes:

I like doing asymetrical designs the most, when given "free reign"...especially down hood sides and bodylines. I normally don't take pics of my "jobs"......:D

Attached Files:

26. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

sinister- good to meet ya at billetproof

27. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

You too Wolf....you and the boys heading up for any of the other upcoming shows? Tacoma Alley Rally/Camwinder's/etc???

28. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

possibly, we'll see

29. 1- shot slinger

1- shot slinger

I can see what you're saying...yet traditional pinstriping is just that..."Traditional"

We do it because it's true to the artform, just the way we stay true to traditional hot rods and customs... There are new striping techniques, such as slash stripes and trucker style elaborate scrolls...you just don't see those forms here that much because its kind of off topic.

Anyway...here is a better version of the style you posted done none other than the master Jim "Hetz" Hetzler...

[​IMG]

30. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Theres another treat!