Register now to get rid of these ads!

Opinions needed on pinstripe colour for scallops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Swedesled66, Jul 1, 2009.

1. I have decided to paint my 53 GMC Panel truck satin black with gloss black scallops. The problem I have is I can't decide on what colour to pinstripe the edges of the scallops. First thought of white (though not sure I want that much contrast), then thought lime green or red, now thinking a metallic graphite grey.

Give me your thoughts guys, what colour should I go for?

Attached Files:

2. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

I really like the "stealth" look, so I'd go with the graphite grey.

3. What color (colour? ;)) is the interior?

If it's significantly different than the black outside, then repeating it as the pinstripe color would tie the inside and outside together for a professional appearance.

4. Burnt orange or medium gray

5. At the moment it is like a goths wet dream inside, black black and more black. This makes it too dark and too damn hot. I need to choose between metalflake silver/white seats with a diamond stitch for a bit of a 60s feel or plain white tuck n roll seats for a more 50s feel. Either way it needs to be lighter inside. The dash will also be scalloped, maybe reverse of outside so I have satin black scallops over a gloss black base. This way I figure the gloss will be bounce some more light around and having the satin on there will mean I am not blinded by rare appearances of the sun (though the thermometer read 35 yesterday, to bloody hot!).

The bed wood is currently painted the original black so the boards will be replaced by light oak.

6. I wouldn't use a color with too much contrast, the grey sounds like the best choice to me.

7. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

8. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

really depends on how much you want them to jump out at you. best thing to do is a couple of test panels first. the good thing with black on black is you can use any color under the sun. let us know how you make out.

9. brewsir

brewsir

show us a pic of the truck...it may help...gotta get a feel for the vehicle!

10. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

Graphite grey metallic. Yum.

11. cream colored/beige

12. Billet

Billet

Ask the pinstriper... and then believe it.. It's hard until you see it
    'Good Luck

13. Traditionally(and I hate to use that word)an outline of either a scallop or a flame was always done in a high contrast color.If it were mine,I would probably follow that route.For something different,you could try doing a fade stripe;for example:start at the front of the scallop with a dark blue and gradually lighten it towards the tips.You could begin with dark blue and then a 50/50 mix of dark blue and light blue followed by a bit of process blue and then a 50/50 mix of process blue and peacock blue and finish up with straight peacock blue.These are all 1-Shot colors and would provide a nice transition.Try to make the colors of equal length.

For just a single color I would probably use reflex blue or maroon.Against the black either color will look slightly lighter than right out of the can.

14. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

the color on that car is metallic silver, id stick with that!

15. Metallic silver could be the one. Not sure about the blue idea, think I will just suggest to the striper the colours I like and those I definitely don't and then leave it to him.

It will be a while until I need to worry too much as the panels have just come back from sand blasting yesterday. Lots of lovely block sanding to look forward to.

16. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Some sort of gun metal gray,or maybe a dark silver or graphite type color?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  17. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

I kind of like this idea or maybe a rootbeer color

18. Craig_10

Craig_10

19. I would use a warm color- yellow/ orange/ red/ lime green. They don't have to be intense colors- they can be muted/ grayed out a bit if you don't want too much contrast. But there is already enough subtle contrast within the glass/matte black finishes.

Honestly, a cool color like a white / silver/ grey will just kind of lay there and make the whole job look less decisive or intentional. Also reminds one of spider webs or a chalk drawing.

20. I think I am going to be making up some test panels this weekend so I can check out a few different colours.

This is getting ridiculous, I am now looking a girls fingernails for ideas of colour!

21. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Well,if you're looking for dark or subtle,but not a gray or silver,you could always go with a good deep purple

22. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

x2...Ivory is so much nicer than plain white, more subdued and classy...and metallic striping (IE: silver) just isn't "right", ya know? .02....:D

23. Craig_10

Craig_10

Blair you aren't thinking about pinstriping when you are looking at nailpolish you are checking them out for your alternative drag racing sessions:rolleyes:

24. bigern007

bigern007

Dark grey stripe..

On second thought,how about airbrushingthe inside edge of flames with thin fogged color ,to filled in tips. Very slight color contrast to the black.any color you like.

Ernie

25. lots of good ideas. why not put a pic on the photoshop thread an see what happens?

26. Craig you of all people should know that nailpolish does not make you go quick at the drags! That is what hot pants are for, but that is the subject of a different thread (Jungle Jim/Pam).