Register now to get rid of these ads!

July Banger Meet 2009.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Corn coupe, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

I'll kick it off.

It was the flathead meltdown http://flatheadmeltdown.co.uk/flathead/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1 last weekend. I ran my banger and did a 26.9. Not bad for an all stock banger. Mind you on firing it up the next morning knock... knock... knock... No.4 bigend had rattled loose.

Artiki and I:

[​IMG]

Outside the Pub for a well deserved pint:

[​IMG]

In the pits:

[​IMG]

What's everyone else been upto?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  2. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

Didn't make the drags thanks to the coupe deciding that it wants to live without water in the radiator. I can either go everywhere at no more 40mph or limit it to around 25 miles before I need to refill the radiator. Not sure of the cause yet, it may be a blocked rad, it may be a blown head gasket. There's no water in the oil, or oil in the water and it's not foaming in the rad so it may well be the former. Going to have to strip it down and have a look.

3. my dad picked up a complete and very restorable 31 deluxe roadster that was in a million pieces on saturday. it was missing the top bows radiator and motor , but other wise complete. a little elbow grease and some bolt scrounging and its now a competely assembled car. we are going to rebuild the dizzy and carb and see how the shed motor runs... look forward to ripping it around Iola next week
    maybe me and poverty flats can do some racing
    tom

4. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Do a drop test on the radiator, and a dye test for the cylinder head gasket?

Are you running a thermostat?

5. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

6. Just been going through my pics and found these.
    The roadster that me and my Dad built when I was 18.
    B4 motor - 5 speed etc
    I am 29 now so it was a few years back.........

Attached Files:

7. retro54

retro54
    from PA

Corncoupe... do you have any more pictures of the pickup in this photo... or can you point me to the owner if they are on the HAMB? thank you kindly...

8. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

9. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

No thermostat. It's never had one and been fine for the last 3 or so years on the road, barely even needing a top up. It started playing up earlier this year but has got drastically worse over the course of the last week or so.

I was going to pull the rad and take it along for testing at the local radiator shop. Did think about the dye test, can you get a home kit for such purpose?

10. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

11. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

I've not tried it but there's this one http://www.uktools.com/block-tester-p-12508.html

12. retro54

retro54
    from PA

That's cool... anyone have any more pictures of the truck? Having trouble telling weather it is a 30 or a 29... haha... just isn't clear enough for me in the pics...

13. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

14. retro54

retro54
    from PA

Sweet... thank you much sir.

15. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

And another. I was encouraging the seagull to have a poop with offers of toast. It ended up taking a dump on my car instead!

[​IMG]

Oh, and thanks for the link Mark.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  16. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Hey, I'm new to the world of Bangers and here for a little advice from the experts. I posted a week ago about my '29 coupe that I just swapped out a Jeep for - here is that thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373906&highlight=new+29+coupe+where

After spending a week to think about a plan, I have decided to follow the advice that many gave. Basically, make some minor bolt-on mods. My overall plan includes '35 16" wires (I have stock 21s today), 40-48 Ford juice brakes, drop axle and T rear spring, downdraft carb/manifold and a '39 Ford transmission. I have already begun scrounging up the wheels and they seem relatively easy to locate.

I think the first change I want to make is to replace the stock intake and updraft carb. I have seen a number of manifold makes both new and old out there. I would like to make the car late 40s-early 50's correct, so what are my best options on the intake? What about the carb, Stromberg the best choice or should I consider others (considering what was available then)?

Thanks, Tom

17. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

Nothing wrong with a Stromberg, or a Ford carb for that matter, but I personally prefer a Winfield. A little harder to find but worth the effort in my opinion.

18. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Go for twin uppies, they will serve you well and very period.

Mind you as Wrong-Un says, a Winfield would be nice!

19. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Thanks guys. I really think I want to go downdraft - any specific brand better to look for on the manifold? I have located (but haven't purchased) a single Winfield. I have seen a few Winfield downdraft carbs - pricey but they sure look cool.

20. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

that truck is what im goin for with mine im just a paint job and some headlights away

21. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

If you go for a Winfield you'll need a 4 bolt manifold to suit, most manifolds are for the 3 bolt carbs. As for brand, not a lot to choose between them I wouldn't have thought. Most of the aftermarket ones differ in name only, the castings are much the same otherwise.

22. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Anyone give me some info on this? I thought it was banger related. Picked it up at an auction a couple of weeks ago. It has Goerlichs and model C on it.:D

Attached Files:

23. its the top part of a exhaust manifold for forced air heat
    tk

24. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Thanks, that is what I was thinkin when I bid on it.

25. I believe Goerlichs is the same company around still today as an exhaust franchise, we have one here..................crazy.

SentinelT and I FINALLY got the A chassis drug in and started to strip it. He is using the frame for his 27 with a V8flatty but I want the banger for a future car. so................we HAD to tear into the banger. Full of seeds, damn mice, looks okay thru the head so far will keep you posted.

A couple questions though.......................

#1, where is a safe place to bolt on my engine leveller to pull the engine?

#2 What sort of pixie is holding the dizzy in? Cant seem to make it budge.

#3, best way to unbolt the thing..............torque tube or the hogshead? We have room to store it but just want removal the easiest.

26. Pick Chris's brain for info or crazydaddyo. Pretty expensive and more extensive then you think as far as bolt-ons that you have listed. Once you go away from mechanicals you pretty much have lost the stock-like car you once had. Hydraulics are more then just a bolt on. Car looks good as is. Wheel change yeah I could see that. Everything else I don't know. Have you driven it much yet? Stockers are cool to just mess with and learn about.

You sound like you want to build a gow job/Resto-Rod of sorts. Might consider selling this A and finding a cheaper one to do that with. The A you have now could be sold and then a cheaper one sourced with less parts that you do not want/need with money left over for the "Speed Parts".-Weeks

27. [​IMG]

My dad has a great story about a buddy getting revenge on his ex-girlfriend and the chump that stole her away by stuffing some limburger into one of those on a cold, cold day...:D

28. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Hey Weeks thanks for the input. I got into the Jeep I traded for this car very favorably which makes my investment well below market. The market on classics seems real tough right now, but I feel like I got a great deal on both ends so what I have in the '29 seems like the right starting point.

I guess I could try and sell it off as a stocker but who's buying these days? I am in this A cheap and I am willing to preserve it for the most part, but at the end of the day I'm a hot rodder and I am not interested in driving/maintaining a stocker. I am fortunate to have such a nice starting point and if the right offer came along I would certainly consider alternatives.

Chris commented on my earlier thread and I think he had some great points. I love the stance on his car and hope to get mine looking similar.

I look forward to your input and the other Banger experts here.

29. I am far from an expert of anything I am just learning like everyone else here. Be a sponge is my thought process pertaining to Model A bangers and related proper parts. Car seems complete and would be nice to know how much of the car is original and not mismatched years wise. There are buyers out there for Stockers. Check ebay if you want to see. Yes you got a helluva deal from what I see there. We have alot of A(s) around here Bako/ Central Valley that pass from one member onto the next and the history continues.

I am a hotrodder also. I changed directions one time in my build and that was power plant and drivetrain. I decided to open up the banger and figure out why it was parked while it still ran at the time. Was as simple as a timing gear change and a rattle can rebuild. You can make a decent profit on what ya got even with the economy the way it is and do like I already said for much cheaper. I know there are alot of better candidates in Arizona for what you have in mind cheaper. I have been all over the state in my youth. Jerome, Showlow, Pinetop, Sierra Vista, Tombstone, Gleeson, Wilcox, Tucson, Yuma, Flagstaff, Lake Powell, Parker, Lake Havasu, etc. There are alot of cars waiting out there cheap. If nothing else look up your local model A club and see if anyone has a car shell+chassis they will part with and give cash also to you for yours. More then likely there is somebody.-Weeks