Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage maybe O/T got my tickets 2day Pinks all out

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PRIMERDAVE, Jun 29, 2009.

1. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

got my tickets for Pinks at famoso in September...my son and a couple of friends taking the motor home for the weekend.....anyone else going

2. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I know the show gets a lot off flack on here but he is doing more to bring back drag racing than anyone today.I am a die hard bracket racer but know that if this kind of show brings new people to the track it will help everyone. Concrats on the tickets ,I understand they are hard to get as most are a sell out- hear that NHRA !!!

There are also some cool cars show up.

3. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

I'd rather watch this live then the 3 second passes of todays mega bucks funny cars....and there aint many Nostalgia drags other then the couple of times a year events around the state.....so what the hell the tickets are paid for and one of the locals got his car on the schedule.....

4. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I like that show for the same reason. Its us. The guys there have put heart and soul into the cars. There needs to be more "run what ya brung" type racing.

5. SlamIam

SlamIam

I'll take Pinks and Pass Time over Nascar anytime. I especially love stuff that goes wrong on these shows, like the Pass Time episode where the guy with a new big block he hadn't raced before launched hard and put his full-size car on the bumper.

6. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

I remember that one....and wasn't there a fellow HAMBer on that show as well??....a 55' Gasser...can't remember his name/handle :eek:

7. cj92345

cj92345
    from so-cal

we'll be there:D

8. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

the gasser was "shakey puDDin" one of my all time favorite 55 chevy gassers. That things eats soft and fuzzy stuffed bears and shits killer mutant grizzlies!

[​IMG]

9. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

mmm.....youtube

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7x68ZHe0hM4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7x68ZHe0hM4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

10. overkillphil

overkillphil

That was BADASSSSS!!!!

11. vertible59

vertible59

How about Charley Overfelt putting his '48 Austin gasser in the finals at Bristol, VA Pinks All Out. Charlie is a flathead racer and car builder from Roanoke, VA who lives this stuff and is a super nice fellow to boot. A tour of his shop is like a timewarp with flathead, early hemi, and other nostalgia stuff everywhere. Years ago, he louvered my '41 Plymouth hood on a hand operated louver press that was built by John Rinehart. John built the press from an old bed frame as a shop class project, in 1959. He also made his own dies.

12. Vertible, I used to live in Franklin County, VA and am happy to report that Charlie is still at it. It was good to see him on Pinks at Bristol. John has moved to Beckley, West Virginia and is setting up a new shop there.

I worked down in Ferrum in C.L. Radford's repair shop for a while. He was the brother of Paul Radford, who was a modified and late model sportsman driver at Roanoke's Victory Stadium, Calloway Speedway, Martinsville and many other places. Maybe you remember him. C.L. passed away, but Paul is still around.

Lots of hot cars are still tearing up the highways and byways in Southwest Virginia. Thanks for mentioning two great "little guys" that have built this sport and hobby. They don't get recognized nearly often enough.

Pete

13. vertible59

vertible59

Pete, it is good to hear that Charlie and John are still at it, and doing well. And you are right in saying that fellows like them are not recognized as they should be for their contributions to the hobby. It is probably more about attitude than anything else. They always seemed to let their product do the talking while they showed genuine interest in what others around them were doing. No gold chains here.
    I was introduced to the Roanoke gang by Danny and Fred East from Eden, NC. They were the greatest of guys and knew everybody in the hobby. Did you ever meet them? You would not believe the old cars they had located and the stories they could tell. I wish more of those guys were on the H.A.M.B. to tell the tales.
    Did Paul Radford ever race at South Boston Speedway? I remember the name from somewhere, but cannot place it.

14. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

i went to the pinks all out in gainsville and they put on a hell of a show! you'll have a good time

15. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

see you there.....:cool:

16. Did anyone go to the show in Jersey?

17. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Thanks For That, You Just Got My Heart Going On A Shitty Rainy Day.:D

18. Yeah,
    A black 55' on a 9 sec. VERY NOISEY PASS!!!

19. Did Paul Radford ever race at South Boston Speedway? I remember the name from somewhere, but cannot place it.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, he was a regular there. In the day, most guys ran late models at Calloway in Franklin County on Friday nights, then went to South Boston on Saturday. Modifieds ran at Bowman Gray on Fridays and sometimes Saturday at Caroway. Then Orange County opened and South Boston decided to not run every weekend, and the schedule got all jumbled up. You probably remember Paul's name as he did run for many years at Daytona, and was the only (?) NASCAR racer to win both the Late Model and the Modified race on the same day at Martinsville.

I don't know the guys from Eden, never met them. They had a terrific little dirt track just down the road called Madison. It was dirt. I saw a race there one night about 1977 or so. Great racing, good food, crazy fans and even a fight in the pits where one driver chased another with a tire tool. A perfect night at the dirt track if there ever was one.