Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodRick49, Jul 1, 2009.

1. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

I was driving home from Rhinebeck this past weekend, and all of a sudden, right before the Throgs Neck bridge, it crapped out on me. Ran good all weekend, and out of no where it just died. Didn't overheat or anything like that, just cut out.

It won't start, and I needed to be towed home, anyone got any ideas? I'm gonna check the ground wires and make sure everything is nice and tight.

Thanks guys.

-Rick

2. did you check the generals? ie spark and fuel?

3. 35 Woodie

35 Woodie

Could be the coil crapped the bed.:mad:

4. NoSurf

NoSurf

Did you pull a plug and see if you had any spark?

I had a coil crap out on me on the way back from KC on I-70 a couple years ago. Luckily I had a spare in the toolbox. Was fun swapping it on the side of the interstate with semis flying by at 75mph. Oh and it was dark too and I didnt have a flashlight.

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Too general...
    Did you have power anywhere else.ie..lights,horn??
    Before we get into ignition.......

6. RAY With

RAY With

I have to go with Nosurf on this one with the lack of information you have currently. I also had a coil crap out on the hiway in my 49 merc and had to do the same thing on the road. I always had a complete ignition set plus fuel pump in the trunk and it saved me a few times from calling friends or wrecker for help.

7. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

The same thing happened on my 46 Coupe. Turned out being the condenser.

8. one guy told me that the difrence btween a street rod and a hot rod, a street rod has, rags and wax, and stuff to keep it cleen, a hot rod has spair parts and a tool box in the trunk

9. sumtinklever

sumtinklever

my car crapped out on the highway last week it was coil so I'll say coil as well I was just like you going along just fine and dandy then pupppptttt nothing

10. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

I checked the fuel lines, and theres fuel going to the carb. I'm gonna try and see what it could be.

11. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

CONDENSOR! done it to me many times. That's why I converted to electronic ignition. $3.00 and you'll be running again.