Register now to get rid of these ads!

My little scrap helper!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hip, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Hip

Hip

Well you know these guys that stop in front of your house and ask if the '53 buick fender, or the 9" narrowed rearend is scrap, and can they take it off your hands.?

I had a guy stop by this morning and ask about picking up some of my scrap metal. Usually i would give attitude, but i already had my deal ready
    for the next guy who asked.

I said, "Ya know what?, not right now, but i'll have a pile for you in a couple weeks", "now you in turn do me a favor."

I see on your sign you pick up cars and trucks. Let me know when you pick up anything from '70 back in the years.

Heres my # give me a call antime and i'll beat the scrap guys price if it's what i'm looking for.

He was jazzed, and then told me he had a partner where they stored their stuff until they could get enough to make it worth while.

He then tried to deal a '74 Camaro, 67 Continental 2 door, and a '64 GMC p/u off on me. I told him those werent exactly what i was looking for, and just to let me know what he picks up below '70s

This is a little like having a surprise finder service at your convenience. I'm diggin it already.:D

2. Flat_Broke

Flat_Broke

haha classic!....good idea!

3. Docco

Docco
    from Ippy

Rad. You scratch his back and he'll scratch yours.

4. Couple of those would be good parts cars, if you do a deal like that it wouldn't hurt to buy one right off if you can A: spare the cash, and b: part it out and make a few bucks from it... you can always swap the carcass back to them for something else later right?

5. Lucky's Garage

Lucky's Garage
    from S.W.

That's a clever idea.

6. Hip

Hip

Ya that is a great idea, because if nothing else he will know i'm not B/S'S him, and will want to call in suff more often. Think i'll grab the Continental. Only problem is storing for me, so i'll have to be on top of my game before the "City" gets me. (That's a problem here).

7. Squablow

Squablow

I did the same thing last year, met up with a guy who hauled scrap and convinced him to let me part out the old stuff before he squashed it. Only ended up getting two, a '75 Laguna S-3 and a '70 Cougar, but did really, really well on them.

I would have grabbed that Camaro and maybe the truck if the price was right, just for parts.

8. Hip

Hip

I don't know why i did'nt think of this years ago!:eek: For me it's about maybe finding that "Diamond in the Rough", and not so much making a buisness out of it cause i'm trying to find my altimate '60's lowrider car.
    On the same token, if i did part some of the cars out, i could get the one i really wanted cheaper! HMMMMM.

9. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

put a good car cover over it and try to park it out of sight, tie the cover down real tight so it can't be lifted,but make sure the wheels are all cleaned up first, if they see the nice clean wheels they probably will not investigae anymore

10. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

Tried that with some scrapers in the area. Problem arises when they get something and all of the sudden it's worth a mint. They would rather scrape it then to think that you pulled a deal over on them, even if you doubled their money. Go figure.

11. silent rick

silent rick

or maybe he can use your number to determine when you're not home and come by and rob you.

12. Hip

Hip

Awsome! I got advice from my birth town!!! Ya, ya know thats very good advice, but my niegbors have already got their crosshairs on me for a while. Tough to be a hotrodder in su-burbia.

13. Hip

Hip

I thought about that too, but it's my cell and 95% of the time someones here.

14. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I had a local guy do that for me for a while. wasn't too punctual on giving my pictures or anything. Treat the guys right the first time- twice scrap price or something- then they'll really come back to you!

15. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Yeah, the secret to those guys is being a reliable buyer. You don't have to beat scrap by much, but you will have to be reliable when they got something.

My buddies marvel at how I'm constantly able to score cheap beaters & parts cars but when I try to pass one of my deals along...they always find a reason to pass. I got a standing offer of a hundred or two for any car, and have bought some really sketchy sh*t just for the purpose of honoring the offer. But even the worst have been flipped on craigslist for a couple hundy profit. You can't hit a home run every time, but you can earn consistent beer money in between the home runs. Plus it's kinda fun, you never really know what kinda car is gonna roll into your life! It might even have an exotic odor :)

good luck!

16. James427

James427
    BANNED

Yeah, I tried that one too. Had a guy bring me a Fiat 600. Cool little car, but it had lots of little pieces I wanted. A cool stand alone gauge pod, silver plated art deco style door handles and latches and stuff, a cool aluminum hand riveted gas tank that I am sure I could have used in some rod sometime. There was easily $600 in rare Fiat parts I could have sold on the car.

I swapped him out for a big pile of metal and the promise of a 1968 Galaxie wagon (read heavy metal) when I was done taking what I wanted. After about two weeks and before I could get any of the parts off of the Fiat, somebody STOLE it! When I finally tracked it down, it was at the scrap yard an already had been crushed. The name on the pay ticket was the same guy that had traded me the car and dropped it off. This asshole actually had the nerve to come back a few weeks later and ask about the galaxie wagon!! He left with a flat tire and a cussing out.

17. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Hip<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_4072933", true); </SCRIPT>

I thought about that too, but it's my cell and 95% of the time someones here.

ALL THEY NEED IS 5 % OF THE TIME YOU ARE GONE!

BE CAREFUL is all I'm saying..........JUST like James427 said.......<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

18. Hip

Hip

I got a call at work tonight, and it was my scrap buddy wanting me to come over and check out his partners yard that has many different cars, and probably has what i'm looking for. Before anyone says it, im bringing a buddy as a backup just in case. He's also supposed to pick up a 40's car body that had been on a property, and the owner died, and the son got the land and now he's clearing it out. He Also has some other stuff from his work shop he says i might like. This might pan out.

19. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

Way cool. I need to try that.

20. Let him know you have another possible buyer for the stuff you pass on. Depending on price, of course.

That buyer would be me..:cool:

21. most of the ones i known in the past turned out to be "bottom feeders" at best! but that is at least 10 steps above a fucking tweaker!

22. A Little Odd

A Little Odd

I've had my dealings with people who scrap, both good and bad. No matter what you do you have to grease people to make it everyone's while. A lot of people have a hard time understanding this.

In the past I have always promised to pay double scrap price if it is something I want. If it was worth a lot more to me I promised to make it up to them...more cash or scrap or whatever. A lot of these people have to try to at least break even and such so they do what they can to make more money.

You do what you can if you got a person bringing you good stuff. Some of these people have regular pick ups from businesses and such and can be very beneficial and you don't want to lose them. I got a couple of guys who are brothers living down the street from me who cash in motor and tranny cores. They pick up from a LOT of shops around Dallas. The rebuild shops that they resell to won't buy back the old stuff. So they come to me.

My regular ride is a '97 Grand Cherokee that started out as a $200 scrap find.

23. Hip

Hip

I'll do that Ray.

24. jonny o

jonny o

And try your best not to call him "Your Little Scrap Helper" to his face.