Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Canadian Hotrod Tour

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brianangus, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Well fellows, this Friday, 03 July, I set out with my roadster pickup on the Canadian Hotrod Tour. Its being organized by Canadian Rodder, a web based club that originates in Unionville, Ontario which is near Toronto. I believe that currently there are about 85 hotrods registered to go. The $100 fee to join covers the cost of a tow/service vehicle which will accompany us, and the administration to set up hotels, meetings with other clubs on the way down, etcetera.
    The first leg of the trip leaves Whitby, Ontario (near Toronto) at 8:00 Friday morning, and travels to out nations capital, Ottawa, where we spend the first night (about 300 miles). On the way to Ottawa, we pass thru the town of Perth, where I will pick up my old hot rod buddy Doug, who will travel with me. Next day we drive to the far side of Quebec province to a city called Riviere Du Loup to spend the night. Next day takes us to Miramichi, New Brunswick. The day after that we drive to and accross the new 26 Kilometer long Confederation Bridge to Prince Edward Island and stay overnite in Charlottetown, PEI. Next day we drive to North Sydney, Nova Scotia. The following day we drive around the entire Cabot Trail and stay in North Sydney again that night. On day #7 we drive from North Sydney Nova Scotia to Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. Day 8 we drive to Moncton, New brunswick and spend 2 days at the Nationals. On day 10 we cross into USA and drive from Moncton to Bangor, Maine. Day 11 takes us to Plattsburgh, New York, and day 12 takes us from Plattsburgh back to Cornwall in eastern Ontario. I will stay overnight at my buddies place in Perth, Ontario, and then home to Barrie the next day (or if I'm not too tired, I will travel north to Bancroft to see my 89 year old mother before continuing on home). I checked it out on Mapquest, and it looks like 2500 miles, round trip.---wish me luck.

2. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

wow, that sounds like a GREAT time. best of luck. may the hot rod fairies smile down on you...

3. Eastern Canada is beautiful this time of year, sounds like a great trip. Makes me want to get the truck done so I can join you guys.

4. rustymetal

rustymetal

hi brian
    hope the weather will clear up for the trip .
    the nationals are as good as you will see anywhere .
    check your brakes for the cabot tail.
    see you at the nationals

5. movingviolation

movingviolation

Holy Crap Brian, you will be soooooooo close to Newfoundland.

May do the Nationals..... will let you know soon as i can.

Leon

6. Leon---18 years ago, when our kids were still small enough to enjoy it, my family and I bought a Dodge minivan and a tent trailer and drove to North Sydney. We took the ferry to Argentia, and drove/camped across Newfoundland. We drove to Cornerbrook, then turned and went up into Gros Morn for a few days. Then we went on to the extreme easterly side of Newf. This was the first year of the cod embargo, when you could still take cod for your own personal use. I could see that an entire way of life was passing for your people, so I wanted my boys to see a bit of it before it vanished forever. An old fisherman took me and the boys out in a dory at Twinlingate, where we jigged a dozen fine cod. We then travelled on to Bonavista, where the cook was the only one in residence, so we cooked up the codfish and invited the cook to set and eat with us. We were down to the old military installation on North Americas most easterly point, We went whale watching with Loyola Obrien at Bay Bulls, and visited the cascades. We spent a cold wet night on the ferry docks near St John, and took the 14 hour ferry back to Nova Scotia. We have all had a place in our hearts for the wonderfull people of Newfoundland ever since, and when anyone asks us, we tell them that Newfoundland is Canada's best kept secret!!! A truly incredible place.---Brian

7. Sounds like a great time! Good luck and have a safe tour!

8. Tim Morris

Tim Morris

I've been wanting to jump in on one of these tours with Frank ever since he announced the first one to the west coast. It became obvious to me that the way to do this properly would be to retire from work first.

I finally got that done mid-April but I've still got obligations locally for a few weeks and couldn't make this one. Very frustrating.

I'll be with you on line.

Be safe.

9. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Good luck to you Brian and all who travel with you. What a fantastic trip!!!

10. Tim---I'm not retired yet. However, with this #$%@ economy, I have no engineering work, so I figured I might as well go this year. Hopefully it will pick up in the fall, but for now, I'm going totally batshit, setting around the house doing nothing.

11. Don Dalton

Don Dalton
    from Austin,Tx

Brian,seems like I have heard about this trip someplace and some time ago.

Have a good run,I'm wanting to do that before I cash in.

Don In Austin

12. If you're looking for stuff to do when you get back, my wife has a list on the fridge of things that need doing, just come on down!

13. Nah Nah Nah!!!! I got those too. I mean PAYING things to do.:D:D:D

14. My buddy from St Thomas is on the tour..He told me he leaves Thusday.
    Good luck,safe trip.

Rick

15. Yes, he would leave Thursday, to travel to Whitby and stay overnight. I will joint the tour on Friday morning in Whitby. Its about 80 miles from my place in Barrie south to Whitby, so I will stay at home Thursday night to save the hotel bill. Whitby seems to be the "Rally point" for all those who are jointing the tour from western Ontario and farther away.

16. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Have fun Brian. :cool:
    One of these days I plan on hitting the road with Frank and his crew. This year John from OZ and his lovely wife are coming to Livonia Michigan to visit after they do the tour with you guys. Looking forward to hearing their adventure stories.

17. Now you all know why I've been busy fixing oil leaks, making lexan sidewindows, and putting disc brakes on the frontend this spring!!!

18. budd

budd

hey i have been around the trail many times, one time we had just a little shower of rain and 5 rainbows came out in a little cove the highway over looked, to bad we were out of film, are you going here? http://www.louisbourg.ca/fort/
    will you be going down to the south shore? drive your car out on Cresent beach?

Attached Files:

19. I don't think we will go to those places. About 18 years ago when the wife and kids and I went down east we visited Fort Louisberg.

20. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

sounds like a blast Brian, have fun and goodluck

21. 29SX276

29SX276

Brian;You have a safe drive and have a great vacation!

22. koolkemp

koolkemp

Have a safe & fun trip, we should have a HAMB gettogether at the Nats??? See ya there!

23. koolkemp

koolkemp

See ya in Moncton...we should have a HAMB get together.

24. 52lomofo

52lomofo

hopefully see some of you when you get to charlottetown im right down town:)

25. Pontiac35

Pontiac35
    from Wisconsin

Eat, sleep, drive: Repeat. A quote from a Tshirt given out on the Hot Rod Power Tour in the lower 48. Enjoy the trip, happy and safe motoring. Pontiac35.

26. 52lomofo

52lomofo

also forgot local show here this weekend too annual show and shine at brudennell park 3,4,5th

27. 52lomofo

52lomofo

hopefully see some of you guys in moncton

28. 52lomofo

52lomofo

the bridge is 10 years old now but still amaze's me everytime i go over it can see it from my parents cottage