Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kustoms/ The Charlie Lopez Mercury?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pimpin paint, Jun 22, 2009.

1. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Does anyone know of the whereabouts of the Charlie Lopez Merc?

When I first saw it (1974?) in Street Rodder Magazine in was silver with "stacked" headlamps and a "psycho" paint graphic! Sometime later I could have sworn I saw it with "Snowmobile" doors and a "Guards Red paint job w/o the "weird" graphics it wore in the seventies. Of late, I've been told it was on Ebay, painted maroon, and sold to Canada! Has anybody seen her?

Thanx,
    Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion!"

2. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

it may be on this website somewhere but I know its on the www.layitlow.com website maybe in the kustoms section someone recently purchased it and is restoring it.I believe its here in califiornia and has the gullwing doors and glass top and it is maroon.it was sitting in a barn somewhere back east

3. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

4. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

This post rocks! Thanks to both of you for the information! Sad ,that it didn't make the historic Merc weekend.

Rikster's model, built from a Volvo is seriously cool!

I had completly forgot jus' where the Charlie Lopez Mercury fell, history wise, until I remembered how badly the kustom scean sucked in 1979-80!

Thanks again!

Swankey Devils C.C.

5. What kills me is how cheap it sold for. What a sceaming deal....good thing I didn't see it for sale until it was already sold. I bought my Merc last fall, though, and promised my wife it would be my last. :) Glad it is in good hands.

6. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

yeah it sold for cheap...last time I saw that car was at the super show 1979 it was red I never forgot that car,I'm glad its in good hands now too

7. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Mr Bomba brougt the Merc out to our show at the lake in Feb.

Car was in great shape considering. Interior was clean and looked brand new. He said all the hydrolics were still working.

8. That's awesome! You can't get any chopped Merc of any half solid condition for that money, much less one with super history. Deal of the century right there. :)

9. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Gooz,
    Did ya get any good daylight photos of the Charlie Lopez Mercury when it made the line up at "the lake"?

I figgered that since it did time in Kentucky, in a barn fir 20 years ,it'd be a rot box! ' glad to hear I was wrong.

I heard last night, the new owner want's to sandblast it back to bare metal, 'hope I heard wrong!
    Man, talk 'bout an icon, but some jus' won't get it!

Swankey Devils C.C.

10. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

There were a lot of pictures taken. I'll try to find them on our board.

The car was in really good shape. I was surprised to see how much chrome was on the thing. Mr Bomba told me that the owner was (or knew) a chromer and so a lot of strange things were chromed on the car.. like under the dash and other can't see places.

I believe he still had all the cool accessories too. Like the chrome tool set and 70's style mini bar.

Mr. Bombas club is having BBQ at legg lake this weekend Sunday. Maybe he'll bring it out???

11. mikes51

mikes51

What would be the problem with sandblasting to get a good clean foundation to work from? I remember in the old days we would get
    our motorcycle frames sandblasted, and often the joints that we had bondo'd for a smooth look still had most of the bondo left on them. I assume if there were leaded sections they could be just blasted clean on the surface but most of the lead could be left untouched?

pics from Rogelio's mag vol1 No.1 !

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  12. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

13. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

14. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

15. mikes51

mikes51

16. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

PLIMSOLE... my favoriite fish.

17. banditomerc

banditomerc

Hey Pimpin,hows it going...you looking to buy? :eek:

18. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey bandito,

I'm told a Mr. Conrad Garcia now owns her, and she's in your fair city of Paramount California!

Swankey Devils c.C.

19. banditomerc

banditomerc

Ya,its here and it all works preety well,even the hydralics.Conrad says it going to be returned to it former glory.

20. weez

weez

That was the same issue of Street Rodder that my dad did the illustrated "How to Chop a Merc" article. I remember being about 8 yrs old looking at the primered version of that car in a tiny photo in the cover feature, and thinking "Hmm, I like that better!" What do kids know though.

21. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey David, which former glory, the red car or the silver 70s version?

When I saw the car in the mid seventies at a park in Orange County, it was silver with the ''psyco'' graphics. A few years later, Charlie had rebuilt the car into the red version, with the doors and roof radically changed, didn't even look like the same vehicle!

A major piece of kustom/low history no matter how it's done!

Swankey Devils C.C.

22. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

Pics from los Boulevardos show at the lake! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

24. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

25. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Isn`t there a picture of it in this months Low Rider issue. I remember seeing it in Davenport Iowa at the Leadsleds the year before they had the Merc Duce reunion there. My dad parked his Vicky next to it all 3 days. I vote for the silver paint job.