Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Canadian Style!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Kid, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Ok so when most of you think of Canada this first thing that pop into you mind is snow, hockey and maple syrup. Not hot rods, thats for sure. With our 8 months of blistering cold winter 2 months of rain and only 2 months of nice warm sunshine a 29 roadtser just doesnt seem like a smart idea, however there is a few of us way up here that are not only dumb enough to drive hot rods, we actually make a living building them too.
    The following pictures were taken at LG Kustoms & Hotrods in Edmonton Alberta Canada. LG Kustoms has been open since 2006 and growing bigger and bigger everyday. As far as I know, we are the only shop in western Canada ( maybe even all of Canada) that specializes in traditional hot rods and kustoms. Although Edmonton has alot of hot rod history going back to the early 50's it seems 90% of the the local hot rod enthusiasts have lost touch with the roots of hot rodding. That was my main reason for opening up LG Kustoms. The first couple years were a little rough. Nobody could understand why we would want to run bias ply tires, or why we were going to all the old scrap yards and auctions buying up all the flatheads and Olds Rockets we could find, however eventually we started earing the respect of alot of the orginal Edmonton hot rodders and they started calling us to help them clean out their old sheds and back yards. There is still quite a few who dont undertsand why we do it, but for the most part I think Edmonton is comming around and every year more and more people are starting to get it. Anyways on to pics!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hvychvy

hvychvy

Cool,some killer rides.Thanks for sharing.

3. joebuick

joebuick

the custom grille on the edsel is kinda cool
    looks like you guys are doing some good work

4. Cool man what are your hours I will have to pop by sometime and check it out.

5. Jay.S

Jay.S

Nice stuff, where are you located in edmonton?

6. were open monday to friday from 10 am - 8 pm. Thursdays we stay late to work on a group drag car project (27 T rpu 60's style altered).
    The address is 16718F-111 Ave, about a block west of princess auto. its kind of tricky to find, the complex were in has two rows of buildings, were in the second row so you cant really see it from the street, but if you see supertint just drive around behind them and you cant miss us.

7. here is a few more of some other cars we built
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That green A coupe is brilliant!

9. We went to a rodrun out on the island in the early 80s. Met lots of swell people. Just had a ball. Lots of outstanding cars, even by southern California standards at the time. Surpirsed the locals by winning the fox hunt with no knowledge of the local area. Just 2 old boys from southern California. Met some good old boys from Canada at the Nats in Saint Paul in 85. I really love the licence plate 32 EH

10. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

Those are pretty damn cool, eh!

11. kookee

kookee

More pics of the Green "A" please. For some reason, it really catches my eye.

12. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Nice stuff for sure. :)
    Post a few good pics of that flatty in the window, please.
    And... show us more of the tools you have. It's always nice to see what tools a shop uses.
    I didn't spot an English Wheel... got one?

It must be nice to work with so little rust. We get the occasional car from "out west" and to us it's rust-free!

But guys... "we are the only shop in western Canada (maybe even all of Canada)" ?
    I expect you were just funnin' with us on that. Canada's a big old place with a lot of rod/custom shops on both sides and in the middle.

There's someone in my hometown (and a HAMBer, too) with 30 years in the business of customs, rods and other fun stuff. I'd put his work against any I've seen, here or otherwise. And that's not being negative to anyone in ANY way.

Keep on keepin' on!

13. I ment the only shop that specializes in traditional cars. There are plenty of rod shops, however the cars they are pumping out are influenced by the boyd and foose style, and lots of muscle car restoration.

as for tools, we dont have a wheel, we just picked up a power hammer ( not set up yet ) to use in place of the wheel, but we do have a pullmax, planshing hammer, shrinker stretcher, two bead rollers, T-dollies, various other home made metal working tools. Metal shaping is our biggest thing, we hardly ever buy patch panels.
    And we still have to do lots of rust repair. The 46 merc in the pics has had over 150 hours of rust repair, new floors, new trunk, new wheel wells, new 1/4s, new rockers, new lower front fenders, the only thing we didnt have to repair was the doors. But I have seen some east coast cars, and yes you guys usually have alot of work to do. A friend of mine bought a 2 year old minivan from Ontario and it was already rusted bad.

14. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Yep and french fries with gravy...mmm

I really like this car,...alot!

16. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Nice array of tools. Hmmmm, Pullmax.
    Good to be able to do that work in-house.
    Still, a wheel has it's place. If you've never tried one, you should, just to see. But watch your thumbs. ;)
    I wish I had one when I made a living doing this stuff 30 years ago.

Not to be a putz about it but Ontario rust is still pretty mild compared to the East coast (Ontario is still west compared to us and man.. it sure does make a difference).

Good luck with the business.

17. ratt7

ratt7

Thanks for the pics, keep us update on the shop and cars !

18. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Stop praising this man! His heads going to grow and now there will be no living with him! :p

Kidding, of course. Lee is a rad guy trying to make his mark on Canadian hotrod history. He works more then any man should be allowed too in his shop (unless of course he's just blowing smoke up my ass when I talk to him :D ) and he's always got something cool in the works. Anyone going through Edmonton should swing by and visit, he's a cool dude and loves to BS about hot rods.

19. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

+1
    and the edsel too.

p.s. go habs go

20. Aww shucks Graham your too kind.
    Just wanted to let everyone know I couldn't have done all this on my own, I have a very talented crew that helps out and works just as hard as me;
    Jimmy Mac
    Matt Hotte
    Dave Ryan
    Fat Dave Johnston
    and my little sister Alanna who does all the book work.

21. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Congrats on the shop and for sticking to traditional builds. I think you guys are the only ones worse off for weather than us Michigan folks. I can really sypathise with putting up with cold conditions.
    Your turning out some killer cars.

Frank

22. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Aren't I though? I should be on the pay roll just for saying such nice things!

23. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I'm bored, so here are some more shots of Lee's Edsel from our trip to Washington last summer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. ALCAN AV8

ALCAN AV8

Great stuff,
    I might have to come check out your shop the next time I am in town.
    If you are looking for a road trip this weekend you should head up to Dawson Creek for a pretty decent show.
    Sean

25. Willy59

Willy59

That's one of the best looking A's I've ever seen, bitchin' Edsel as well, keep up the good work.

26. Jason Freeman

Jason Freeman
    from Seattle

I'm not trying to be a know-it-all or a rectum, but your Pullmax looks more like a Nibbler Senior. I have one too. What kind of tooling and dies you got for it? I have started making my own dies. I'll load some pictures up.

Hope you guys are well.

27. RickyRodder

RickyRodder

I like your stuff. Especially the Edsel!

28. 53 chebby

53 chebby

29. El Gordo

El Gordo

What? No shout out or pics of Fred the wonder shop dog??:D