Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dodge 265 hemi straight 6?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by not so hotrod, May 25, 2007.

1. not so hotrod

not so hotrod
    from MA

Has anyone ever heard of these motors. Apparently they had 320 hp and 325 torque from the factory.

Any insight on this motor?

2. Unless it was Australian, I've never heard of it. I've read that back in the '40's when Chrysler was working on developing a V-8, they tried different cylinder head designs on their existing flathead sixes, including hemi heads. I know they had a 265" flattie six in the DeSoto's and Chryslers because I have one in my garage. Sorry I can't help more.

3. RacerRick

RacerRick

The 265 Hemi Six pack was the hot aussie motor.

They were giant killers in aussie valiants.

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I believe that flathead six you are describing is either a 218 or 230ci engine.

The 256 Hemi was aussie only.

5. GTS225

GTS225

Yep....The 265 Hemi was an Aussie only Mopar engine, vertical stature, (unlike the slant), and was a great inline six. There was also a 245 inch version, if I remember correctly. The Hipo version used three Weber sidedrafts on a stock cast intake, along with a good cam to get the big horse numbers.
    If you really want one, there is a guy in SoCal that does a bit of import/export with someone in Australia, and he does post occasionally on slantsix.org. You may be able to contact him over there.

Roger

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. not so hotrod

not so hotrod
    from MA

Roger, what years did they make this awesome motor that I want more with every litttle bit of information that I get? FUCK! Australia is not very close AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. George

George

Produced '70-81. 245 had 3 versions 165HP, 185HP, & a 195 HP. 265 CID E38 had 280HP 10:1 comp., E49 had302Hp. There was a 215 CID version. When Chrysler sold the unit & it was shut down, Chrysler AU had a prototype 2.7 liter Hemi 4 done & a an overhead cam Hemi 5 on the drawing boards. Info from Tex Smith's Hemi Book.

8. rooman

rooman

I worked at Chrysler Australia during that era. The engine was a thin wall casting and quite a bit lighter than the 225 slant six. Head was a stagger valve configuration like a big block Chevy, not a true hemi. The 265 version used 318 small block bore and stroke for rod commonality.
    The main problems that we had were with crankshaft harmonics, the hipo versions had a killer balancer to try to keep them together and stop the clutches from exploding. Hipo version used shot peened rods and in early versions (E31/E34) came with a single four barrell but the killers were the E38 and E49 with the three 45 mm side draft Webers and tubular headers. The dealers hated those cars 'cos they had to have a deal with six vacuum gauges to try to tune them.

Roo

9. Croney

Croney

Hey all,

I happen to own one of these motors, and they are little monsters and I am addicted. The motor I own is out of a 1980 CM Valiant regal. It's a "Premium Performance"(The configuration between E38 and E49 265 Hemi. Apparently it's pushing at least 250HP stock with Carter 2bbl carb and mine has extractors and 2 1/4 " high flow exhaust, in my '77 Chrysler Centura. It's not a lazy motor at all: 9.1:1 compression, HEI Ignition(Standard!), Hemi head and 265 Ci. With 3.23 gears in the locked diff ( Borg Warner 78 ) and stock Borg Warner 3 speed auto, it would smoke the wheels off the line all the way through 1st gear easily pull massive burnouts :) ... I was younger and stupid. Killed alot of v8s (Even when I changed the diff to a 2.92:1 open) and boy you should see peoples faces when you say it's an internally standard 6 cylinder:D... HA-ha-ha, people get really annoyed and defensive. I'm think of putting it into my 35 Pontiac, putting a finned Rocker cover,side cover, twin Strombergs and bigger cam, the Hemi 6s were around pre '72 so that fits my term traditional fine and It was just lying around, should get an easy 300hp no problem.... I actually made 1 mad car out of 3 shitters, at a total cost of $AU750 ha-ha.;) They sound tough as nails too. Uses the 318 Pistons. I believe There used to be a pistion kit for a forged 11:1 set. They have their cons (easily Remedied) like any other motor but the pros simply blow them out of the water.

P.s for Info go to the moparmarket.com.au forums and to the Hemi 6 section.

Thanks for listening to my raving....:)

10. Croney

Croney

Sorry not E38... I mean E34 Pacer 4BBL, the E38 was a Charger

11. A Little Odd

A Little Odd

The hemi six was something pushed aside and intended for industrial truck motors. Maybe the US smog regulations in the early 70's? or the still higher cost of head production? or the just impractical combined with the American belief at the time that they needed a V8 forced Chrysler US to cancel the idea here.

The Aussie Ford inline 6 heads, Mopar Hemi 6 and the vast numbers of utes are prized here in the US.

The slant 6 powered Clark Mobile Homes. Just imagine the Hemi 6.

There are some cool things in Oz. :cool:

12. Dr.Theo

Dr.Theo

i have been thinking for a long time that one of these hemi sixes would be sweet in an open rod

13. Jamin

Jamin
    from Australia

Some Pics: 2nd pic is a marinised version, these motors are killer in small ski boats.

Attached Files:

classiccarjack and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

A couple pics below of a reproduction HEMI head manufactured here in Melbourne by the same company who have won the Engine Masters Comp. twice with their version of the Ford Cleveland heads. As you can see in the pics it's not a Hemi at all. These heads flow 370HP out of the box and can be massaged to flow up to 450-460HP.

Attached Files:

15. Croney

Croney

What type of Ford Inline 6 heads in particular do you say are prized over there? The earlier style with the intergrated inlet manifold, the Iron crossflow or the alloy Crossflow heads?

16. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

I'm not an inliner type, (though I like them), but I would think that EITHER, of the crossflow heads would be desireable here, as I do not recall any factory crossflow, inliner heads.

17. Croney

Croney

Anybody interested in one? We could probaly organise something... a few speed shops over here do some performance manifolds for them too for 2bbls,4bbls and triples.