Register now to get rid of these ads!

can I remove my dash?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Firecracker, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Firecracker

Firecracker

I'm sure that this might be a stupid question, but I've been looking at the dash in my 53 chevy and I was wondering if there was a way to take it out so that I can paint it?

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Car or truck? Trucks are welded in. Dunno about cars

3. Firecracker

Firecracker

Oh sorry, It's a car

4. Big Nick

Big Nick

I think cars are welded in also. My buddy painted his in the car.

5. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

look under the dash to see if its bolted or welded on...if its bolted, then go on a paint it.

6. fatrhino

fatrhino

my '50 is welded in, so no go unless you cut it out and weld it back in (which would probably ruin the nice paint that you removed it to spray on)

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

8. Firecracker

Firecracker

I haven't been able to find any bolts, so i'm guessing that it's welded in. I didn't know if there was anyway to get it out. I've seen some really nice dashes in 53 and 54 chevy, so how are you guys painting them? Is it best to strip it in the car and then just use a touch up gun?

9. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

take the dash all apart,window out. tape every thing up and paint like any other part.

10. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

They dont come out without lots of cutting. You gotta paint it in the car.

11. Firecracker

Firecracker

Thats what I was thinking that I would have to do, but I was trying to et around having to take the glass out.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I brush painted my 64 el camino dash, dont laugh, just wet sanded and buffed it out afterwards and it looked near perfect, until it got bent when i got t-boned

13. Tcoupe

Tcoupe

I just painted the dash in my 53...in the car with the windshield in place, used a smaller touch up type gun on it.

Attached Files:

14. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Once the dash is stripped, before you paint it, here's a tip;

Spray bomb the back side of the dash in white. If you ever have to troubleshoot wiring, etc. under the dash down the road, you'll have an easy on the eyes white backgroung for all your wiring, etc.

15. 454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR

454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR
    from Selden, TX

I wish you could unbolt the things, it would be so much easier to clean and sand and paint. As far as I know they're all welded though.

16. skyrodder

skyrodder

what you could do , is cut it out and weld some tabs inside of it so you can bolt it back on when your done painting it chroming etc.......

17. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

Hot Rods Ta Hell, that is one great idea.

18. Firecracker

Firecracker

that sounds like a great idea.

How hard is it to get the gushes and chrome to come out and when you get the gauges out, can the be taken apart and cleaned?

19. Chevy dashes are welded 1949 through 1960 at least. If I have to cut one out I try to cut under the garnish trim.

Interestingly not all GM dashes in the same body styles are welded. For instance 59-60 Pontiac bolt in, and they're two pieces (a top and a bottom). The Chevy the bottom is bolted but the top is welded - and it's all one piece.

20. The Gambler

The Gambler

GREAT tip!!!

21. EV34

EV34

thats a bitchin idea

22. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Im trying the same thing in the same car 53 chevy, my dash is rotted out really bad from a leaking front windshield. I see it is spot welded in on the right and left sides, there are also 2 rod style braces running to the firewall, the dash looks like it goes into the front windshield channel. does it? i would like to leave the glass in for now and just remove the dash to rebuild it.
    So my question is really, if I drill out the spot welds and remove the rod braces will the dash come out or does the window also have to come out?. thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010