Register now to get rid of these ads!

Work who likes there work??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lulu7, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. [​IMG]

:D:D:D

I left IT last year after 22 years of being a condescending UNIX administrator. Now I am a Project Manager for a hospital specializing in Facilities and Construction. I am much happier!

2. Screws

Screws
    from Baltimore

As unhappy as I am at work (and totally happy at the shop turning wrenches for free), I make good scratch and work with good people. And I have so many friends that are jobless or have taken ridiculous pay and benefit cuts to keep their jobs, that it's hard to complain. I do what most of you probably do; drink more, find ways to make myself happy at work, and spend more time outside of work doing things that make me happy.

I'm a Lieutenant at a DC metro fire department. To the guy that is happy at work, I'm glad your department hasn't lost their minds and to the guy applying, hang in there and good luck Bro.

-Screws

3. i hate my job thats why im going to school to get a better on, or atleast better pay. the computer programming program can be a job in its self.:eek:

4. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

I like what I do, restoring ratty, rusted, and broken relics into beautiful new chromed beauties; but I hate how much of it I have to do to get by.
    Fortunatly as the business grows, I will spend more time making sure others are doing their work right, rather than doing everything myself. I like the especially difficult jobs requiring repairs/modifications, not the run-of-the mill polishing stuff; that wears on me.

5. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

I dont think that I have ever been as un happy with a job as I am with this one. The pay is complete crap for what you are responsible for and the shift could not be the worst (Grave Yard).

But there is no work out there at the moment. I just hope to god that one of the city or town jobs that I have been applying for call one of these days.

6. 2002p51

2002p51

I guess I have the ideal job for a gear head. I write the copy for a high performance parts website.

http://performanceparts.com/

We're just like Summit and Jegs.

I basically spend my day with my nose buried in speed equipment catalogs and on websites reading about and learning about performance and racing equipment so that I can write about it accurately. One of my co-workers has been building race engines for 30 years, is still active in the local racing scene, and is a former NASCAR official. So we always have a lot to talk about.

The money isn't great but the boss is a great guy to work for.

Oh, and I only "work" four days a week! :)

7. cruiserbuddy

cruiserbuddy
    from Germany

I was wrenchin on other peoples cars as a car mechanic, made my master mechanic and after a while after a hard days work I hated wrenchin'on my own projects.....Took my chance and went into the aeroplane/jet engine business and thats a dream, I love my job......

8. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I love my Job, but my boss is a dick. makes me work late hours well into the evenings sometimes, I work 7 days a week most of the year, and the pay SUCKS. But the actual work is very fulfilling, and I get to meet cool people from all walks of life.

I own CRUSHPROOF. I build cars.

9. uh-oh patti-o

uh-oh patti-o

It is difficult being in a sucky job when you once had a great job. I quit the great job when I learned of budget cuts. (Republicans suck -no offense- when it comes to giving grant money to the arts. I was a museum exhibit designer pre Bush. The ultimate cool & fun job.) Now I am a licensed property manager. It is a miserable, thankless job. This job has taught me that I am not prejudice. I just hate everyone equally. What I wouldn't give to be able to finacially afford going back to one of my other sucky jobs... part sales at a chevy dealership, reptile husbandry, or even a bookstore clerk. The grass is always greener.

10. Cody&Lauren Mohr

Cody&Lauren Mohr

I'm a Phlebotomist (not to be confused with a Labotomist), I like my work alright, I'm pursuing the Nursing field to pay for my real ambitions (ART & Kustoms). Like they say,"It takes money to lose money".......... or something like that.

11. When I first started working for the Big K as in mart, I was a great job. I loved working with people and was very happy. Then after a few years, new management at HQ started taking away benefits and making you pay for more Blue Care and cutting your hours. I got luck to go on a remodel team that went from store to store in the early 80's and work was fun again. Then after remodelling my home store, I was transfer to the Fixture Warehouse as the asst. mgr., work was great until the big K went downhill ruined by new management again( Chuck Conaway) and after working for the big K for 34 yrs, my job was terminated in 2002.
    George

12. I'm a consulting construction manager, have my own company and like what I do. I have turned down jobs that the client seems like a nit-picking prick or know it all. I love watching buildings being built and get to watch it. Having employees can be a hastle but if you're lucky enough to get good ones it works.

13. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

I'm a fireman too. Best job in the world. I enjoy every day of it. So far today, we're up to 13 calls and it's not even half way over yet. I wouldn't want to do anything else.

14. Ready wait for it - gasp - I'm an Accountant! Its taken years of wrench therapy but I can say it outloud now.

It sucks, I like numbers but honestly I don't like them this much.

My wife asks why I like turning a wrench on rusty old shit? Because its simple, the only rules I have at the shop are "Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey, if that doesn't work I have a torch and it's coming apart"

s.

15. x1,000,000.

There are NO jobs where I live, except for (gag, puke) Wally World. The pay is ridiculously low, the hours change from week to week, you HAVE to kiss the customer's ass, even when they are complete morons, they stay morons, they never listen or learn, and generally trash the store, for lack of anything better to do. Add to that the benefits aren't all that great, nobody there is happy about working there, and it just becomes a horrible place to work.

16. damnfingers

damnfingers

Wow, I'm impressed by the number of fireman on here...and by how much they seem to like their job. I couldn't imagine anything worse during the summer...how do you stand it? But I'm damn glad you and the police are out there watching over us.

17. themodernartist

themodernartist

How do you spell SUCCESS? I decided at an early age to become an Artist and drive a Hot Rod. By golly I did it! No regrets!
    Peace,
    Chaz

Attached Files:

18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I don't mind work, but it takes up so much of my time and makes me so tired. :D

19. deuces94

deuces94
    BANNED
    from Minnesota

Shut-up Chaz!!!! LOL

20. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

If I was asked this about 14 months ago I would have said that my job really sux. Mostly cause I had a boss that made sure it sucked. Well after 30 years of the same old BS I decided to take the flying leap to early semi retirement. I love it now. I get to deal with car guys all the time, go to all the swap meets selling our product, and have lots of time to play with cars. Life can be good. Just dont wait too long to make it so.

21. Ice man

Ice man

I am a professional Ice machine repairman, (retired) Still do a few for old customers. Have done all kinds of HVAC for many years, but ice machines are in my blood like Fords. They can be the hardest to trouble shoot, but for the most part I find them simple and satisfing. I love it when I get one that has been done buy others and still doesn't do as it supposed to. Thats when im in my element. Ice man

22. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Cop in da hood....

After 12 years in the Navy I got sick of spending all my time gone and in the dirt....and crashing...dont like crashing and did that twice too...after the second crash I was pretty messed up and realized I likley wouldnt live through the third...so I got the hell out (stayed in the reserves tho) went back to college and gotta degree and then....became a cop...

Like the hose-draggers it's funner than hell, at that moment I realized I was totally ok with being blue collar and staying blue collar...it's always something different, I'm not trapped by 4 walls, supervisors leave ya alone, take home car etc....plus, I like to fight and am not politically correct so the job pretty much suits me....

So in short I went from the dirt in Iraq to the dirt in the hood....It's all good in da hood...

See my sig, it says it all...

23. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

24. 61TBird

61TBird

I wish I had a job I could Love or Hate right now.....

25. Screws

Screws
    from Baltimore

You think you could get your Chief to talk to my Chief and tell him to not sweat the BS, stop micromanaging, and have some trust and faith in his line officers? :D

Glad you're loving it. You too, Mr. Police Man. My Old Man is a Peace Officer, has been for 30 years. Lots of respect.

26. cJared3b

cJared3b

I have job security and make good money, but I hate what I do. My title is helicopter mechanic, but all I do is work on the drive shafts. Its BORING!.......but it pays the bills.

27. Firepig

Firepig

Like mine too! Retired from Police and went across the hall to Fire.

28. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

I'm retired now, but I LOVED being a tool & die maker for a large aircraft company.
    Every day the job was different, I never knew what I might have to make or the machinery I would have to run.
    I was able to plan my work with other departments, and interact with other people towards an end - the completed tool.
    When the job was done, I could take satisfaction in my skills and abilities to perform.
    It felt good.

That's not to say, I didn't have bad days - but overall, I loved the job.

29. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I love my job....but I'm retired...6 Saturdays and a Sunday every week

30. I'm a Autocad dude. It better than cleaning executive shit houses(I done that too)
    It's not my Jeff Norwell-Weezner-Tuck dream job but it's not too bad. Steady. Money's fair. I get to be creative once in a while. Lets me do other stuff outside of work and I can surf on here most of the day when it's slow. I've had enough crappy jobs to appriciate drafting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.