Register now to get rid of these ads!

Work who likes there work??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lulu7, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Of course who honestly likes to work? epically when you need to be clocked in and out at a certain time? I do like what I do working in Human Resources and payroll its never repetitive especially in a machine shop and there's crazy stuff going on almost every week but not lately I miss crazy employees. Any who does any one here honestly love what they are doing? if so why, i am in a cross road i just graduated from a four year university for business and I am not sure if i should start my own business or work my whole life for some one else? :confused:

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Love my job and couldn't see myself doing anything else unless it was working for myself. I would eventually like to work at another publishing company and expand on my freelance opportunities but I am in no rush.

I have been thinking hard about my freelance stuff as of late and have a bunch of ideas for cool projects that need to be realized.

As for you, you need to pay the bills and take care of yourself and you family but if you don't like what you are doing then that's not living. There is plenty of time between when you started working and when you retire and you want to make sure that none of that is being wasted. I say start drawing up business plans for something that you would love to do and start that on the side. It may allow you to realize that there are companies that you can work for that have similar vision and will pay you to make your vision a reality.

Don't be a slave to the man, but on the same hand there is a lot more to life then work so don't be a slave to anything really.

3. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

I am a professional firefighter, and couldn't be any happier. Imagine getting up in the morning and being truly excited to get to work! The nights sleeping in the firehouse aren't bad either, after regular daylight hours its dinner, B.S.ing, some video games, then to bed....

The only hard thing is getting up for calls at 2 or 3 in the morning when you are beat down tired. but even then, its an incredible job!!

Imagine having your alarm go off at 3AM and be fully dressed (actually twice, your clothes, then turnouts over that!) and going down the road to go to your job in under two minutes.... :D

Scot

4. I like my job too...I play with a 1-1 scale train set all day :D

5. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

My job is a trip, I am a structure mechanic on Navy aircraft.... Its fun to build brackets and panels for multi-million dollar aircraft :) It is awesome experience, and hopefully I can transfer my fabrication skills to a hotrod shop. Came close last year, but had to stay in the Navy for the pay because I got shafted by my Ex-Wife! (see signature!)

Just noticed this was my 1,000th post! SWEET!

6. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

MMM I'll get back to you on this one......!;):D

Nick.

7. Abomination

Abomination

[​IMG]

I work on Macs all day (software and hardware), and if I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd still do it! I've done it for over 20 years, and would do it for free if I could! They're fun as hell to spin a screwdriver on!

Doing what you love is freedom, loving what you do is happiness! And it's only work when there's something else you'd rather be doing!

Got a Mac/iPod or other Apple-related question? Hit me up - I'm a Mac consultant!

~Jason

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  8. i love my job as a piano player in bunny's whorehouse! its never a dull moment and the fringe benefits are awesome!

9. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Well ,I guess I could say I like my job,did you ever notice when you buy a condom that it says "pretested" on it. Well I show up every day and they give me a box full and say the girls are in room 2 ,see you at lunch break . Yea its a good life!!

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Genius!!!! Your not the guy that laughs at me when I bring it in for a blown capacitor and doesn't know how to fix it are you. Smug bastards.

11. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

When things go smoothly I love my job (appliance repair man). Some days I just bumble around trippin over my dick all day though. Today for instance, I go to fix this guys washer (noisy complaint) and while I was letting it run he asks me about the refer. So, I go into the kitchen and am talking with him about the refer when the washer goes into it's spin cycle. I hear the water splashing and think nothing of it, because I remember it drains into a wash basin. What I didn't notice was they had a plug in the drain.
    My toolbox is an old tackle box with the shelfs removed, and I had it sitting on the floor under the basin, clamshelled wide open. Well, the washer overflowed the basin, then from the basin it proceeded to fill both halves of the toolbox, filled with tools, then covered the laundry room floor.
    The customer was very apologetic abuot the fact that he had drawn my attention away from the washer, and insisted that I charge him for the time it took to dry the tools off. I just charged him the normal charge though, I make enough money, andthe way I see it shit happens sometimes.
    Oh well... I guess that what towels and WD40 are for.

12. DMFB

DMFB

I do custom upholstery/interior for hot rods, boats, and build motorcycle seats. I get to use my graphic design and freehand skills, deal with cool people, and wrench on bad ass toys. No complaints here at all! The first time I have ever worked someplace and not bitched about it, lol.

13. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Never go work for your local Walmart. That place sucks.

14. slicknapier

slicknapier
    from Tucson, AZ

Like 42hotrod mentioned above, I too am a firefighter and love my job. Very few people can actually say they love going to work. Sometimes when it's hectic at home with kids and such it's actually nice to get away to work for 24 hours. Lot's of work for the wife having to be a single mom 10 days a month, but my 6 days off at a time are awesome.

15. Angry Guy

Angry Guy

Love being a mechanic. HATE working for a dealership!!!!!!

16. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'm going into my 3rd year at Widener Law and clerking full time for the summer. It's harder than hell and there's a ton of work to do constantly, but I'm never bored, and everyday poses new challenges and I walk away with new-found knowledge. The firm I work for practices civil litigation, so there is no shortage of work in this recession, and the attorneys I work for are great guys and always helpful when I have questions. I truly enjoy my work.

If you're unsure about your degree and the career path you're on, change it. Go back to school, get a masters in some other field. Do internships, talk to people, NETWORK, build your professional reputation. Figure out what you do want to do and pursue it. The rest of your life is an awful long time to do something you don't like.

17. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

I must be the odd ball here because I do not love my job! They do however know how to pay, and that make me happy. But with out the money the job sucks!

18. damnfingers

damnfingers

I spent 28 years in the Navy and loved almost every minute of it...worked another 19 years as a Gov't contractor on a shipbuilding program and loved all but the last 6 months. It was during those last 6 that I decided I'd worked long enough, had enough and didn't need any more. I'm now retired and not missing work at all....

19. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

Shit, I'd just be happy WITH a job...lol

grrrr....Austin

20. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

I am a Consultant for local Historical Societies, Genealogy groups and Historian. I also run the Archives at a small Catholic college. I don't make much money, but I'm happy. I would eventually like to get a better paying job but for now, I'm still working. I love what I do, do my own thing, and couldn't imagine doing anything outside of my field now.

21. Ex teacher....it should be "Who likes THEIR work??" ha ha
    Who wouldn't like correcting people?

22. Abomination

Abomination

No way!

I am a "Mac Idiot Savant", thank you very much! I've turned DOWN "Mac Genius"... besides, I don't drink the Kool-aid anymore - not for like like 9 or 10 years. :p

And you're not the only one who's not a fan of the smugness... still, I have to feel sorry for 'em. They don't get normal days off (retail), they get 15 minutes per customer to check the guy's stuff out AND get the machine fixed or checked in (or turned away), AND they have to find time in their day to tackle repairs in the basement!

Meanwhile, I work down the street at a huge dot org that does continuing education quizzes, etc for doctors. I get normal, paid days off (and weekends), and folks actually RETIRE from here. Life is good. :)

~Jason

23. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

LOL 56don!

A lotta people would kill for my job, but ehhhh I'm over it. I don't really like the job, but I *do* know it sure as hell beats busting rocks.

It's just what I do that pays me the most money and I dislike the least.

If it was fun, they wouldn't call it work.

You guys that love your job, congrats, that must be fantastic.

24. storm king

storm king

I worked for 30 years in aerospace. I really got a heart for entrepenuership from my Pastor. I decided to make a break to go off on my own. During the time I was planning my departure and future, I worked harder, and with better results, and with more acknowledgment from my managment than ever before, yet I knew I'd never be satified if I stayed there.
    It's been quite a journey, but I wouldn't give it up for anything. By the way; by the third year of business I was making twice what I'd ever made in aerospace, which wasn't chickenfeed.

25. Kingcrow

Kingcrow

Every job that I loved I got laid off
    Every job that I hated I quit
    Now I got laid off a job I hated, I'm so confused now....

26. mfnmxr

mfnmxr

That sounds great. I am trying to become a firefighter in my town. It is hard long process. There are lots of applicants and not many openings plus the process lasts 2 years.
    Currently I work for a dairy delivering milk to stores, schools and anywhere else that sells milk. It is a demanding job with crazy hours. Do I like my job? I like my check, but the job: not so much.

27. deuces94

deuces94
    BANNED
    from Minnesota

I love work, I could sit and watch it for hours!!!! Honestly I hated everyday on the job for 40 years. I worked in machine shops and hated the politics, the heat, the cold, the dirty, greasy floors, the bad lighting and the boss and the bosses boss and the bosses bosses boss. The only thing I liked was the guys I worked with. They all hated the places too, but they were hard working, bad mouthing, beer drinking pain in the ass rednecks just like me. So after hating my job for forty years I retired. Life couldn't be any better. I pity you poor bastards working 12 hour swingshfts in factories especially in the forge and casting areas. But hang in there, life will get better.

28. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I like what I do. My job is a little too easy alot of the time. I'm a graphic designer for a college. I work on a mac too. :) Alot of my clients want boring layouts, and alot of the time I feel like my job sucks the real creativity out of me. The pay is ok, and its 4 days a week with benefits, so ya, I'll probably be here a while ...unless something better comes along.

Sometimes I wish I could work with my hands for a living.

29. hemi guy 53

hemi guy 53
    from colorado

Iam an autobody repair tech and i love my work but sometimes hate my job.

30. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I run a waterjet in a fab shop, not that i love my job... but it is great to be able to make anything i want after hours

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.