Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech: how to remove unwanted female guests from car: PETA warning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fur biscuit, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I live in the freaking cold state of michigan, I dont think we get, or have many widow spiders, maybe a few brown recluse spiders if you really hunt for them.
    what got me freaked out was this. My wifes from Peru' once down there visiting her mom and dad , her dad ask me to come to the garage and help him try to fix their little forigen car. So I start getting to work on it, and after about 20 minuets I needed to jack up the front of the car to remove one of the front wheels to access the accessories on the transverse mounted engine.
    Any way i get the car up and am just about to slide in under it to have a look and my wifes cat comes flying into the garage leaps off of my back onto the ground right next to me and snatches up this huge Black Scorpion..
    she (the cat) proceedes to munch down on this critter as im freaking out thinking i almost got stung on the head buy this dam thing. took me a while before i could get back to wrenching..especially after the fact i wanted her cat to finish its lunch..freakin sick man

2. kopis

kopis

I see em once in a while. What i do is spray them with some spray-ment from 3M and they freeze right in there tracks.

3. cadillaccory

cadillaccory
    from Tempe

I have a 70 camaro that I've been working on lately and when I got that into my buddies garage, it was apparently infested with black widows. They invaded his house and set up nests all over the place. It seems that the camaro ended up being a trojan horse! After we figured out that they came from the camaro, we bug bombed the car in the sealed garage. When we checked it 3 days later, there were dead black widows all over the place. The ones in the house got killed by an exterminator. You never can be too careful.
    -Cory

4. 61bone

61bone

Been to Alaska. Skeeters big enough to stand flat footed and breed a turkey:)

5. thats some funny shit and great tech tip as well..

6. myke

myke
    from SoCal

Wow , well this just got me reconsidering ever moving to california.

I hate spiders.

7. zbuickman

zbuickman

Im not seeing where the technique would differ???:confused:

As far as the spiders This year we had a major explosion in the population of creepy critters. My boy would ride his bike up and down the road and run overs snakes this summer. and The garage was loaded with recluses this year as well. A good does of Ortho clor took care of that though. I do not EVER want to get bit by one of those damn things.

8. 29-a-freak

29-a-freak

there's one thang in this world that wigs me out ...spiders
    i can't stand the friggin thangs...but they ain't nothin alittle ether and a lighter can't fix!...:D

9. Myself, I fear Crocodiles when I go to the watering hole to drink at dusk.

10. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I bought a 61 Valiant last year and when I got it home the wifey lit 4 bug bombs under it and the aftermath was 13 Black Widows on there back.

11. I caught a black widow in the garage under a cup and put it into a little clear plastic box. A few days later, the box was filled with about a hundred little baby black widows.

Usually I blast black widows with WD-40 or whatever I can find, and that slows them down, then smash them flat.

12. hotrodmatt

hotrodmatt

We got the widow's crankier nastier sister down here. The Redback.
    Every project or parts car is gonna have 20 of the little bastards in there.

I spent a night in intensive care after one got me twice.

Now they all die. The messier the better.

13. HotRodDaddy-O

HotRodDaddy-O

We bought a '37 Chevy coupe in Atascadero, under the hood was infested with black widows, four bombs later...

Another time we bought a '36 5/W coupe from Blackie Gejeian in Fresno, it came with a rat the size of a squirrel!

14. EmilyBelle

EmilyBelle

Funny Black Widow Story...we get Hornets at our house...We had a decent sized nest on the side of the garage but it was right over my tomato plants so i didn't want to spray it with the RAID hornet killer spray (lest it poison the tomatos I've been growning all summer) Then one day a Black Widow set up house right next to the Hornet's nest...one week later NO HORNETS!!! As much as I hate the buggers They at least once served a purpose keeping me from getting stung in the back yard.

15. PrimerDust318

PrimerDust318
    from NOR*CAL

Hey Doug,

Good tech. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic, but this is the Black Widow that Lita and I discovered while attempting to remove a taillight assembly from the '55 Buick.

Brakeleen was useless. I emptied half the can before she skittered to an area of the trunk where I could kill her with an engineer boot. Solid trunk floors, that Buick!

Attached Files:

16. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

Here in Arizona we have Scorpions..Widows..Recluse..Tarantulas.
    I crank up my compressor before I touch my tool box..blow out the tools..then the workbench..then all the areas around..and under the cars.
    Never a problem..

But I did have a Mountain Lion walking past in the backyard..

I didn't hose him..just let him walk on by..

17. PrimerDust318

PrimerDust318
    from NOR*CAL

Orb weavers are cool. I leave them be. When I was 6 I got in trouble for causing a disturbance in class when my 1st grade teacher realized I brought one in from the yard and was trying to keep it in my desk. I have kept a few tarantulas over the years. You can handle some of the more docile varieties. Neat to watch.

I live in a cave in Sebastopol, CA. Old cabin out on 2 acres in the coastal woods. All manner of creatures keep finding their way into my place. So far I have killed about 20 black widows. 3 very large, 10 or so medium size and the rest small. I let the daddy longlegs live. I have also found 1 mole cricket, 3 millipedes, a huge-ass alligator lizard, many slugs and sowbugs and the same treefrog has entered my shower thru the drain twice now. Both times I noticed him when I turned on the hot water in the morning and he fell from behind the handle. Both times the hot water freaked him out and he went back down the drain.

Not sure how the lizard got in or if he left.

I killed the millipedes and mole cricket before my dog decided to try eating them. He eats wasps and yellow jackets all the time. Eek! Does not seem to faze him.

18. 29SX276

29SX276

A black widow the size of a 50 cent piece:eek:! Geezus I'm going to have the heebie jeebies all friggen night!! We don't have critters like that up here so what the hell is a "hobo spider"? Wonder if we have brown recluses' up here on the flats. We got all sorts of wasps,hornets,skeeters with west nile,some snakes......didn't find any spiders in the '29,'36 or '46 when I dragged 'em home;lots of mouse turds,but didn't know shit about the hanta virus then.

19. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

yes we have those dam things here, too bad my lab died, he was an expert flying roach catcher, problem was he would lay them on my pillow,all dead and slobbered. he was very proud of himself so he brought them to me. the brakecleaner and lighter works great we have a lock on the target---firing!!-----confirmed kill!! he's "bugging out" on fire,there he goes down

20. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

If you see a symmetrical web like that,it usually means that the spider is none venomous.An abstract web,with a very chaotic pattern to almost a cobweb look,is a sure sign of venomous spiders.

21. slefain

slefain
    from Atlanta

My wife complains about the barking spiders that live under bench seat of my Olds....

22. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

I found this friend in Costa Rica. Looks like a flip-phone wearing leg warmers:

Attached Files:

23. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

What you really need is the Insect Vacuum. Its a battery powered vacuum with a looooong ridgid clear plastic tube attached to it and a plastic cup on the end. Place the plastic cup over the intruder bug, hit the on switch and the vacuum sucks up the bug into the vacuum. The bug is collected in a little disposable bag which you throw away. I've seen them advertised in the mail order catalogs which fill up our mailbox on Monday's. My wife is a serious mail-order clothes shopper so we are on EVERYBODY's mailing list. I seriously thought about getting one of the vacuum's for my daughter, who literally HATES spiders. But now she is married and her husband has the job of killing the spiders. Its good spiders don't bother him.

24. teisco

teisco

I use a portable vac for bugs,,,no splat, no mess.

25. [​IMG]
    Caught this Rhinoceros Beetle around my Garage, find black widows, brown recluses and various other bugs.......usual catch'em and release them....

26. Von Kragen

Von Kragen
    from linwood,MN

man i feel spoiled living here in the frozen wastland (as i type this its 96 degrees though bleaeeh) i dont even think about these kind of spiders the only thing i watch out for are the nasty wasps that like to take up residence in parked cars,just those damn ticks give me the heeby jeebies were told to watch out for the deer ticks all i ever find are the regular wood ticks i get an involuntary shiver just thinking about ticks.... no poisonoius snakes either didnt give much thought to larger animals either till two weeks ago when a big black bear ran across the road 2 miles from my house. now im more cautious walking around outside my buildings at night

and that peruvian cat saving your face made me lol

btw those of you that live in scorpion territory, heres something that i heard in a tom waits track " if one is to put a small drop of liquor on the back of a scorpion it will instantly go mad and sting it self to death" any truth to this? anyone tried it? just been curious since i heard it

27. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

holy crap, you haven't been on here in forever! how is the buick?

28. PETA nearly had a shit fit when Obama killed that friggin' fly .. Can you imagine what they'd do if they read this post? A spider, other than a daddy long leg, which is actually related to a fly, spooks the shit out of me . Biggun's Little'uns . any of 'em are creepy little peckernecks .. !!!

29. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

That Mountain Lion was just wondering what his lunch was doing making so much noise! :eek::D

30. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

I have to evict the Black Widows along with a myriad of other spiders and bugs when I work in the garage. I've even come across a bug that the locals call a cow killer. I don't have a picture of it but imagine a bumble bee with no wings, blood red and black stripes and hairy.

What I DO have a picture of is this chrome spider that I get every spring and fall on my patio. It's big and the web material is strong enough to pull that plastic chair that it's setting on. The cat won't even go near it!