Register now to get rid of these ads!

car shows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brendog67rat, Jun 21, 2009.

1. went to a local show today hear in town, it was not a bad show a lot of differnt cars. i just get sick of chevells and mustangs and fiberglass 32 fords .how about you guys?

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

a day of looking at Chevelles and Mustangs and fiberglass 32 Fords beats the hell out of doing yard work.

3. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

A buddy of mine and I were talking about this today. For the most part, we've seen all the shiny, glitsy muscle cars and 50k dollar hotrods and customs we can stand. I haven't even bothered to go to a show yet this year. Anymore the only reason I go is to hit the parts sales area if there even is one. The shows and cruise ins I go to , I want to see the homebuilt hotrods that the owners built in their garage or shop and had to take the time to plan the build and buy the parts to get their car together. Maybe I'm wrong but that's just me and alot of other guys

4. deuces94

deuces94
    BANNED
    from Minnesota

Throw in tri-5 chebbies and corvettes with the mix and as far as I'm concerned it's no longer a show. I have to back up for just a second though, Tri-5 chevy gassers and early Vettes are very interesting to me. Oh another one is the camaros, and the Novas, and the mopars and hell all muscle crap. I'd rather see a '53 or so Chevy or Ford with a 235 Inline six or a flattie with non-stock carbs and exhaust etc, then a shit-box full of 427 tri-five chevies with tunnel ram and 2x4's. OK I'm done venting.

5. I just moved to Texas from so cal. I miss good shows. I didn't realize how good I had it. Now I live out in the middle of no Where! haha well I can at least try to go to the lonestar roundup

6. beats a rough rectal exam or the mother of all things evil! AUDITED!

7. Gary in da UP

Gary in da UP

Most car shows in this area look like a 70's strip mall parking lot with 50's muzak blareing thru crackly speakers for the guys in sandels shorts and hawian shirts who are waiting , watching their rear bumper from lawn chairs, just waiting for a complement or to pounce on the first person that dares to touch their car. sucks.

8. crashgravis

crashgravis

aint that the truth ! :D

9. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

You mean theres a fun rectal exam???? Just giving you shit. Oh wait that didn't come out right:D

10. Okay, yeah your out in Texas now, me too from So. CA. So I figured put on a So.CA style event. Come on down to the Hill Country 100 on Sept 26th check out www.caferacerproduction.com for some pics of the past years.

Hope to see you there

Sandman
    Barons
    So. TX

11. brewsir

brewsir

Hmmmmaybe thats why I don't go out much....I'd rather stay in the shop and build stuff anyway.

12. I have fun in the shop, then driving mine.

13. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

After going to shows for 35 years I still don't get tired of going.I don't go just to see the cars ,I talk with the people.I have many friends with all kinds of cars even though my favorites are rods and Customs.I enjoy there company.I even have friends in the drag racing world. My idea of going is it's a social event.I am glad all our cars are not the same as mine !

14. chopped

chopped

How bout a sticky for this? Then maybe it won't come up every freaking week.

15. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I used to feel compelled to go to every show and cruise-in but lately I have become very selective about the shows I go to.
    I'm really way happier just being in my garage or driving my car out to the local state park.
    I also resent the idea of paying $15 so spectators who got in for free can look at my car, or not, while I sit in a lawn chair and look at high dollar or plastic cars that don't appeal to me.

16. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Easy solution
    if ya dont like it--dont go
    if i find one car that gives me an idea or inspiration then its a worthwhile show

17. Kerry67

Kerry67

The cruise nights out here are the same old thing every week. We have the Scottsdale Pavillions every Saturday and it is the same old cars all the time. Same row of Corvettes (including new one's) and everything else. I don't go near as much as I used to.

18. The points above are 100% spot on. The other thing is that the admission prices are getting stupid - low price is $15 and go up to $25 if you're not pre-registered. I've pretty much stopped going, if I do, I park outside and go in and walk around. But, I absolutely won't miss the "must go to shows" like the Hotrod Hoedown, Rumblers Brooklyn, LeadEast, and Jalopy Showdown.

19. hotrodgary

hotrodgary

I dont really get tired of looking at cars. Some bore me some dont?

I just like being around other car people bs'ing and hearing stories.

I do agree with the entry fee stuff... why do I have to pay $10-15 to show my car.... I think they should pay me! LOL.... I could care less about a trophy. I just like the atmosphere.

-Gary

20. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i went to a cruise night here in jersey last friday,,,,there were a ton of cars i had absolutely no interest in,,,BUT it was worth going just to see the 37 dodge coupe with vintage speed equipment,,and the 48 chevy bomb with a nos aftermarket wood kit (and a few other cool cars),,,,,its all how you look at it,,,,yeah,,lots of stupid cars,,but i still had fun because i have the right attitude,,,,,,,,,,,,

21. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Lo Lid Dude nailed it:

"After going to shows for 35 years I still don't get tired of going.I don't go just to see the cars ,I talk with the people.I have many friends with all kinds of cars even though my favorites are rods and Customs.I enjoy there company.I even have friends in the drag racing world. My idea of going is it's a social event.I am glad all our cars are not the same as mine!"

There are no bad car shows, just that some are better than others.

22. Bob Dobolina

Bob Dobolina

Sounds like the Lone Star Street Rod Assn. state run...:eek:

23. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

If your car shows suck in your area, you're living in the wrong area! I am amazed by the quality and variety of events I attend, but then again Southern Cali is the car capitol of the planet!

24. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

I agree, I don't mind the car shows. I go to meet other like minded car people and to get ideas for my builds. I have also made some very good connections with people for parts and answers to questions on my stuff. Yes I get tired of the common muscle car crap but around here we are starting to see more of the NOT so popular muscle and rod stuff. Not all tri 5's, chevelles, vettes, etc. More of the 60's big mopars, Fords, and more customs lately. Maybe everyone else is getting tired of the same crap also?

25. Went to a cruise-in at a local burger joint Friday night and had trouble finding a parking spot for the '34. I've never seen so many 2010 Camaro's, 2009 Challenger's, new Mustang's and Corvettes. It's pathetic that they don't even bother to clean up their new cars before bringing them out to "power park"! WTF is up with that?

Jim

26. 49coupe

49coupe

I got to get to have a coffee/beer with friends. When we can drive to a show in my buddy's '88 Crown Victoria daily driver and we are eligible to enter it into the show you know it's getting tough up here (Ontario, Canada)

You always see a couple of cars that make getting there worthwhile. I used to think my friend John was odd for showing up to a show early with his ride, taking a walk around, chatting with some friends and then being on his way soon there after. Now I usually park so I can get my car out and do the same thing. Time is precious. I've had enough of the "what is it", "Is that stock" and "I would have done XXXXX" discussions to last a lifetime. At least I'm making room for the guys showing up late.:rolleyes:

27. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Im just tired of all the damn 67-69 camaros at the shows, they are everywhere! At this years autorama out on the regular floors there were about 300 of those fuckers and to top it off they had a room devoted to chevys where they took up more than 2/3 of the space!

28. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

Yes but the speed equipment industry loves them, kept food on the table for years.

29. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I have always said it sucks that we have to pay $ to put our cars in shows BUT I know from experience of hosting rod run shows with clubs I have been in that it costs $ to do this. I totally support Cherety shows .Our club raised many thousands of $ every year for Meals on wheels with no $ prophet to the club except having the satisfaction of helping some one. The big shows like indoors shows ,NSRA and Goodguys are in it for the $$ .That bugs me but as long as I can afford it I will attend because I like HOT RODS ,CUSTOMS and the people ,my buds!

30. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

We are all car guys so in that regard that makes it somewhat OK. The vette people don't get it as well as the new Mustang guy. Too me it's a shame because those who show up with their home built pride are the ones getting the most satisfaction.
    I am not a trophy collector nor do I ever plan to be. If I can make an old timer stop and look and a child tell his mom or dad the same I've accomplished what I have set out to do, share the hobby with others and help those interested to learn to learn it.

What I've found is that the area and soroundings completely depict what is going to show up at that particular event/cruise.

I had a good older friend (who has been to BilletProof) with an awesome modified 57' vette miss BilletProof because his buddy told him that the show to him seemed racist so they went to a C.A.R.S. sponsored show about 20 miles away. I replied to him that how could it sound racist to his buddy when the show he took him to was geared only to people who bought reproduction parts for there muscle cars. Talk about 1 huge infomercial. I'm sure if I had the chance to ask his buddy how often he watches infomercails on TV he wouldn't know what I was talking about yet he promotes AND pays to enter one on a yearly basis.