Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shooting Metalflake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46chevy, Jun 19, 2009.

1. 46chevy

46chevy
    from reeds,mo

Has anyone shot any of the Roth Monster flake? I am getting ready to shoot the roof of my ranchero tonite using Monter Flake and the Bomber gun and looking for some tips.This will be my first attempt with flake and i think i have the procedure down but looking for tips. thanks

2. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

That's all I use, love the Roth flake.......what's the Bomber gun?
    I use a cheapie Harbor Freight gun with the tip drilled out......
    I like to lay the flake "wet" and spray my last coat "dry"....so the flake stands up (I like the random sparkle effect)....but more clear is needed to bury it.

3. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

i saw a dvd with a guy using the bomber gun, cant say i was impressed. it just looked way to lumpy, even after it was supposedly finished. hope you have better luck!

4. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Is that the one that lays it on dry???? No thanks.

5. WhoDoYouFink

WhoDoYouFink

The Bomber gun is a wet gun that is basically a Harbor Freight jobbie with a 2.5 tip and stickers that they sell for $125. I used one and wasnt impressed. I went back to an old siphon feed. I agree with laying on wet coats and then a dry coat or two to let the flake stand up. It takes a ton of clear to burry the Roth Monster flake, but the effect is worth it. Also mix the sizes together 2 to 1. (2fine to 1 monster) This will also help the effect in my opinion. Not like I'm an expert.

6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Just throwing something in here I heard 40 yrs ago. I knew a guy back in the day, the flake he use to shoot was so big he would use a rolling pin to make it lay down. Not kidding he said it made the edges of the flake lay down before he cleared it. He just rolled over it. Lippy

7. Fenders

Fenders

Friend of mine used to shoot flake 30 - 40 yrs ago, he would first warm it up on a electric stove, don't know if that helped but that's what he did .....

8. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

call me 408 561 5744
    thanxs
    alex
    i can help

9. RodP

RodP

I used a straight section of radiator hose around a piece of broomstick in stead of a rolling pin. The lacquer dried fast enough to roll it a little flatter between coats. I would also wipe down the surface between coats with my bare hands while blowing it off with an air hose to clean off the loose flake. I learned to use silver flake instead of color to get it smooth sanding between the clear coats. Sanding the colored flake was too easy to cut through the color. After the silver flake was semi smooth I used candy toners in clear to get the color I wanted. I thought the Silver was a better base for design work. I remember dry sanding the silver flake with 100 grit to get it smooth. Don't know how this would work with the new paints
    RodP

10. RodP

RodP

Hey Alex I didn't see you on here. If I ever get to do another flake job I will definitely call you. I need all the help I can get with this new crap they are trying to make us use.
    RodP

11. 46chevy

46chevy
    from reeds,mo

well i shot it and like i said this was my first time. the gun didnt seem to work that well. i think i should look into a siphon gun, i dunno. but anyway i laid down 8 coats using 4oz of flake and it didnt cover the roof of a ranchero. you can still see the base. the tropicali flake was bronze and i used gold base. for sure next time the base will matck flake closer. anyways did i shoot flake wrong or is 4oz not enough for a small roof? i then put on 4 coats of clear over flake.

12. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

show us some pics sometime...

13. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

4 oz. is definitely WAY too little to spray a roof and get any coverage, even one as small as a Ranchero. Heck, I prolly waste 4 ounces for each roof I spray.
    Also, a "trick" I use to lay the flake down, I put on a pair of nitrile gloves and just pat it down lightly. I tried a rolling pin kind of thing and the gloves just seem to work better for me.
    Be sure to show us some pics.

14. Sean

Sean

If your laying out a color flake make sure you shoot 3-4 coats of clear on top of that. Your will need this for the wet sand.

15. 46chevy

46chevy
    from reeds,mo

Cant post pics cause the ranchero is a 69 model

16. ChicagoSlackers1

ChicagoSlackers1

just post the pics I gotta seee the flake'

17. 46chevy

46chevy
    from reeds,mo

18. MarkX

MarkX
    from ...TX

also, lay down a basecoat color that closely matches the flake ..... and be patient. it takes time and many coats to get good coverage..... a gun with a tip 2.0 to 2.5 works fine for standard and micro flakes

19. rat pink

rat pink
    BANNED

yelp these are the methods ,my advice stand back,and dont start spaying- aimed at the car.

20. Conder

Conder

Y'know, someone told me once to use a big salt shaker to sprinkle large 'flake onto wet clear. I actually tried it. It didn't work that well. The booth just sucked all the 'flake into the plenum before it could hit the paint.

It was pretty funny. There were like 3 of us in the booth, all wearing respirators and paint suits, holding salt shakers full of metalflake trying to sprinkle it on these !@#$ing Lambretta scooter parts and it's just flying away like we were in some science fiction fairy fantasy movie. Custom paint is HARD.

21. 46chevy

46chevy
    from reeds,mo

ok i took pics this morning but dont know how to post. can someone help me out. thanks

22. 46chevy

46chevy
    from reeds,mo

got pics cant get them to post. can anyone help? thanks

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That's awesome, I wish you had video of that.. I think we've all tried stuff that didn't quite work out but in theory sounded good at the time.

24. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Hahaha.......why couldn't have turned the fan off while ya did all the shakin'???:D
    I as gonna try a pepper shaker on my next job. Hmmmm.....maybe not now though.:)

25. The Blurr

The Blurr

I used both types of Roth Guns on my car. I did not like the bomber one too hard for me to adjust. The dry one I liked alot better. What I did was spray a couple coats of clear to start off with. Than I took the dry gun held it back about 6-8" and kinda puffed it on. In short bursts not holding the trigger down. Than I shot couple more coats in between the coats of flake. Make sure you let the clear dry a little before you shoot the flake. To where it is sticky but not stringy.

Attached Files:

26. shuweet61

shuweet61

Hey rod... If your looking for a flake prodject fire up on my roof already.

27. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

You've got a PM.

For others this might also be interesting;
    Use www.resize2mail.com to resize your pics to say 720x540 so you can upload them here to the forum.

28. Like Josh says i put on about 8 coats of flake with a 2.0 tip gravity feed gun,
    and then some dry coats for extra sparkle. followed by 15-25 coats of clear,
    nice and deep.
    [​IMG]

29. WhoDoYouFink

WhoDoYouFink

More pics please!

30. DMFB

DMFB

Use a different gun. Bomber Gun = crap.