Register now to get rid of these ads!

Glass Packs or Cherry Bombs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C5Cruiser, May 21, 2009.

1. Straight pipes + stock engines = sounds lame. If you ain't cammin' then use some mufflers.

2. I replaced my straight pipes with glass packs on my Model A and the sound works for me, I checked out the sound with cherry bombs as well but liked the glass packs.

3. 12" Brockman Steel Packs................nice folks to deal with too!

4. hemi

hemi

5. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Cherry bombs are hard to beat..........................

6. I have a 1962 Thunderbird Landau. I bought it, i had to wait so the previous owner could put a new full exhaust with flowmasters within a month i cut them out and ran straight pipes all the way back. I loved it but i decided to put cherry bombs it quieted it down too much, so i made some turn downs right after the cherry bombs under the rear seat. better but no cigar. I made some cut outs that dump out under the drivers feet. Sounds good now but when i get the time and money i'm going back to straight pipes all the back. I think a T-bird sounds best that way and thats from experience.

7. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

You should look into these-
    http://www.carchemistry.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=93

Phantom mufflers. They sound killer, use steel baffles so no steel wool or fiberglass to blow out. they mount just like a typicaly offset muffler, but have ground clearanc eand look like straight pipes, but sound badass. check em out.

8. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

Personally i like thrush glass backs because they have now become cheaper than Cherry bombs with all the new found hype for them. Check out summit the only problem with Thrush is they only come in longer lengths. either way both cherry bombs and thrush are perforated rather than louvered on the inside so they have a great sound
    ****where the mufflers are placed and the size of the pipe makes a huge difference - on my 54 f100 i have 12 in. glasspacks of unknown origin with a stock 390 headers to mufflers = 2.25 pipe
    mufflers are 2.5 and exit right at the edge of the cab before the bed very very mellow tone not obnoxious at all and these glass packs are short with very very few perforations on the inside if they were up closer with bigger pipe feeding into them it would offer a much different sound

definetly a big no to flowmasters though cant stand em[​IMG]

9. Mpls 40

Mpls 40

I've got Porters on both of my hot rods ... I love 'em.

10. uglydog56

uglydog56

I've always ran cherry bombs, personally. Keep them close to the engine as possible for the best sound and run them out the back for the cackle.

Flowmasters are for 5 liter mustangs and other idiots. Having said that, my pickup has flowmasters on it, and they're growing on me.

11. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Another vote for Brockman Mellowtones.
    Best sounding 50's style muffler made...yeah, better than the "new" Smittys.
    Brock is a great guy and will build you mufflers whatever
    length you want, with whatever packing you want...glass, steel, or nothing!

Support an All American Mom and Pop Hot Rod operation!!!!!!!!

FlatJan likes this.
  12. There's a guy that has some used Cherry Bombs for $60 but I know he'll sell them to me for $45. He said that he only put on about 40 miles on them and didn't care for the sound inside. I may pick them up and if I don't like them then I maybe try some Smithy's or something like that. I would really like to hear some on a 390 and see what they sound like.

13. chopz56

chopz56

I put thrush muffler brand glass packs on my 56 chevy wagon running a 6 cyl. with split exhaust and it actually sounds good!Nice low mellow tone at idle and it's not abnoxiuos when you get on it,but remember i'm running a 6 cyl.!They were cheap and that's why i got them.And i'm running 21/2" exhaust.Just my 2 cents worth,hope this helps!

14. After spending a weekend at the NSRA event, and hearing dang near every car sounding the same, I cut out my turbos and got a set of Cherry Bombs. Will finish up that project tomorrow, as I ran out of time today, and I need to get some different exhaust hangers.

Hey C5Cruiser, Autozone sells them for about $25/ea.

15. DK23

DK23

C5Cruiser,
    Do you have the whistle for that truck? I'm starting to drool.

16. Took a little time over the lunch hour and finished bolting up the cherry bombs. Still need hangers, but went ahead and fired it up, for s & g's. Much better!!!

Now it "SOUNDS" like a hot rod is supposed to sound.

17. We saw another 61 Bird with glass packs this weekend. They looked like 18 inchers. Man I am sold! Freakin Bitchen!

18. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Glass packs, I've always had the ones that atleast the guts rattle when you shake them, or are falling in half from rust and suprisingly they sounded great!

19. So what are you running?

20. BTW He sold them a few minutes before I called him.

21. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

The ONLY choices I see is first- OPEN STRAIGHT PIPES , 2nd-SMITHYS , 3rd-CHERRY BOMBS .
    Now wasn't that easy ! :D

22. My wife put her foot down on straught pipes. Smithys may be the ticket.

23. Lucky444

Lucky444

FlatJan likes this.
  24. JOEHOODS

JOEHOODS

I would go with glass packs...

25. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Glass Packs, put them near the absolute end of the exhaust system for a low rumble. Having acutal tail pipes or turn downs (or both) make the noise less resonant, and head throbbing.

26. Smitty's with Mr. Gasket cutouts. Good tone when you want, scare women / make babies cry when you want.

27. same here.

28. teddyp

teddyp

blockmans another vote

29. Fidget

Fidget

I have Cherry Bombs on my 58. The car is lowered, and they have a small enough diameter to not hang below the frame and scrape. Go find a Ford meet, take a listen to all the cars and what they're using.