Register now to get rid of these ads!

Favorite tools?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Jun 20, 2009.

1. I was giving the ole rollaway a cleaning and reorganizing today and I got to thinking how certain tools make shit WAY easier and how I would be bummed If I didn't have them. My favorites:

Craftsman racheting box wrenches. What a great tool. I don't know how many place I have used them where I could not get a regular rachet into. Love-em!

Drill doctor. If you don't have one of these, Get one! There is nothing better than a fresh sharp drill bit to make life easier. Not cheap but money well spent.

What's you favorites?

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Air angle grinder with a cutoff wheel.

And my welder.

Between the two you can accomplish so much more than you should be able to.

3. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I have an entire roll around full of stuff i couldn't live without, try working on a vintage jap car and you'll end up with a drawer full of special made tool like seal drivers and tools modified to fit special bolts etc. Add the SU's and you'll have lots more. :D I also have the plastic hammer my mom saved from when i was 2, couldn't ever be replaced, my first tool.

4. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

snap on ratchets & gear wrench reversible wrenches

5. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

ok my tube bending tools and my AN flare making set,

6. 16 once ball pean. I got a 4 pound hammer that I only use for adjusting timming.

It seems that several of the cars/trucks I have had the good fortune to own over the last say 10 years? have had electrical problems when they moved in with me and the one tool I find indespensable is my old multi-meter.

I have an expensive one that I inherited from the Ol' Man, but the one I use most is a cheapo Radio Shack unit; I think it cost me $7.95 in about '97. The other one I had finally shorted out after about 25 years of use.

7. HAMMER , the bigger the better.........

8. Tony

Tony

The first two thing's that came to mind for me too..'cept i use the angle grinder with 3" disc's and use an air cutoff tool ( muffler cutter) for the cutoff wheel..
    Those three thing's are priceless when i'm building something....

I'm sure there's more..but, those are damn important to me :)

9. hollywood 423

hollywood 423
    from west ohio

Milwaukee cut-off saw....

10. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Mig welder Arc welder Pile of steel Mini grinder are my only friends . I mean favorite tools. tools.

11. At least no one said vice grips (yet)!!!

12. dudley32

dudley32

well vice grips work well...when welding...

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

is a lift a tool? if so then my lift is my favorite tool. the older I get, the more I like it.

just did a clutch. got a leaky "under a lift" tranny jack for free. if I had to do it on jackstands I'd have paid someone to do it.

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

vice grips rock.

15. rodknocker

rodknocker

16. Opposable thumbs. I can't believe I'm the first to say that. LOL

17. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

A welder and a grinder ! I use these the most when building a project !
    BFH also helps alot too !

18. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

i use this
    [​IMG]

to fix these
    [​IMG]

19. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

die grinder with a black strip wheel, cut off wheel, andmy HTP200 Mig. Oh yea, remember how it was before you had a bench vice?

20. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

Opposing thumbs? Damn near as good as a BFH

21. Homemade44

Homemade44

No favorite tool have to have all of them even the ones they don't make.

22. russ1403

russ1403

my creeper,,snap on impact,,wobble extension,,swivel extensions,,speed wrench,,,breaker bar,,torque wrench,,distributor wrench,,magnetic tipped screwdrivers,,just 2 name a few,as well as everything stated above:)

23. cJared3b

cJared3b

Damaged bolt/nut remover sockets. I never thought they'd work so well.

24. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Plasma cutter--makes stubborn nut removal easy:D

25. my forklift with "side shift" for changing motor/trans.

26. crackerass54

crackerass54
    from dallas

make good window cranks too

27. My wife ordered me a set of the Metrench tools from an infomercial about 12 years ago, they advertise that the remove (and tighten) even rounded nuts....they work! they came in a hard shell case and they are the first tools I pick up to do anything.

28. Tugmaster, got a story for you since you mentioned Vise Grips. A buddy called one weekday and ask if he got his car over to my shop Saturday,could I weld in his new spring hangers.He had a 34 Ford with V8 open drive line mounted on the original Ford spring and he had decided to change to parallel leafs in the rear.He said he would have everything changed over and clamped in place and ready to weld. I said "sure,be over 'bout nine".
    Well, Saturday morning I got to my shop a few minutes before nine thinking he won't be here for a while. As I was Facing the building unlocking the door with my back to the street, I heard the distintive sound of my Buddies 34 Ford. I turned around in disbelief and sure as the wind, he came driving in the Parking lot.I thought " "Oh well" he got someone else to do his welding job. As he shut it down and climbed out I asked " Already got it welded??". "Nope" he said" you said If I got it to you place you would weld it up for Me." By that time I was under the car! There to my SURPRISE was a pair of leaf springs with hangers Clamped in place with 8 pairs Vise Grips. He said "I drove over real careful....."

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  29. 39 Ford

39 Ford

In no order, Vice, Drill Press, Grinder, Hor. band saw, Aircompresser and Welder.

30. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Mig, grinder, air compressor and my trusty 2-ton jack. I seriously hate you guys with the plasma cutters, make us using cutoffs and saws look like bulls in a fine china store!