Register now to get rid of these ads!

Modified Production

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by colesy, Apr 1, 2009.

1. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

these were posted previously in another thread...
    but just in case you didnt get to see them...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

els likes this.
  2. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

The first time I saw Lee Shepherd he and Bobby Cross were running a Maverick in M/P. They were some quick Texans!

els likes this.
  3. Ed Wright

Ed Wright
    from Tulsa, OK

Yes, that was after he crashed the Pro Stocker the first time. It was Shileno (I know I spelled that wrong) & Colman's black Camaro, F/MP. Lee, when I first met him, had a green F/MP or G/MP Chevy II wagon. He later replaced Bobby Cross in the Maverick.

Do any of you remember seeing Butch Lake's and Carroll's Corvette FI manifolds made into tunnel rams, before Edelbrock or anybody else made tunnel rams? I don't remember who had the first one, Butch or Carroll. All anybody ran before that were the cross rams.

els likes this.
  4. Ed Wright

Ed Wright
    from Tulsa, OK

HI Bob, did you reach Mike?

els likes this.
  5. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

The first intake I saw like that was at Connecticut Dragway in 1966 on Ralph Ridgeway's car. Didn't Edelbrock make a "Ridgerunner" intake named for him?

els likes this.
  6. Ed Wright

Ed Wright
    from Tulsa, OK

Not that I'm aware of. He did make stud girdles, I believe his products were called Ridgerunner. I used to run his stud girdles. Vic Edelbrock "borrowed" Carroll's manifold, took it back with him after the World Finals one year. Vic sent Carroll, supposedly, their first tunnel ram. They furnished all his manifolds for some time. Carroll got upset that he didn't get the one he made back. Vic told him they had to cut it up for measurements or something. Some time later Edelbrock sent Carroll a new prototype tunel ram, made of fiberglass and plywood, for dyno testing. He kept it. It is on a shelf in the back storage room. If your ever in Amarillo, stop by Carroll's Engine & Machine, and check out his '55 Chevy and the fiberglass and plywood Edelbrock tunel ram. When asked for it back Carroll told Vic he had to cut it up to make some measurements. <G>

els likes this.
  7. Hip hip hurray for McCrea! More Tri-5 Modifieds please!

els likes this.
  8. undergroundss

undergroundss

If you are talking about the Rapid Rodent, I have one. I think I have a lot of scanning to do.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
    els likes this.
  9. Ya ya.., do some scanning.., please

els likes this.
  10. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

I knew I'm not totally loosing it! This is from an earlier discussion of Ralph Ridgeway:

</g> <table id="post3327286" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="thead" style="border-style: solid none solid solid; border-color: rgb(229, 229, 229) -moz-use-text-color rgb(229, 229, 229) rgb(229, 229, 229); border-width: 1px 0px 1px 1px; font-weight: normal;" id="currentPost">[​IMG] 11-24-2008, 05:15 PM <!-- / status icon and date --> </td> <td class="thead" style="border-style: solid solid solid none; border-color: rgb(229, 229, 229) rgb(229, 229, 229) rgb(229, 229, 229) -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 0px; font-weight: normal;" align="right"> #16 </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="alt2" style="border-style: none solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(229, 229, 229); border-width: 0px 1px;" width="175"> Dolmetsch <script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_3327286", true); </script>

[​IMG]

</td> <td class="alt1" id="td_post_3327286" style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(229, 229, 229);"> <!-- icon and title --> [​IMG] Re: Ridge Runner Speed parts, Ralph Ridgeway?
    <hr style="color: rgb(229, 229, 229); background-color: rgb(229, 229, 229);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Ralph Ridgeway Debs automotive. Inventor of the tunnel ram as we know it. I saw him run in the 1960s at Les Cedres Drag Strip in the provimce of Quebec. (About 35 miles from Cornwall, Ont.) He ran Kempville's own Bill Gaw , another inovator in his own right. Both were 55 Chevs and both were CM/P , We could hardly believe such a famous person would be at that little two lane strip. We had read about him in the hotrod mags just a couple of months previous. If I remember right and it is possible I dont since it was 40 years ago I think he started with a Chevy Rochseter Inj unit and cut the top of and made a tunnel ram of sorts.
    Don
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
    <g>

</g>

els likes this.
  11. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

As reqested.

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  12. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Here's a neat one!

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  13. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Larry Kopp and Dave Lewis.

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  14. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

Check out the Motor Wheel Fly's on the Granny Goose Vette SWEET !! Great pictures.

els likes this.
  15. jrstock55

jrstock55
    from Pa

I had a chance to buy this car is about 1994 as a roller. I stopped and asked about a ’55 2dr wagon that was sitting out in a field near <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Gap</st1:City> <st1:State w:st="on">Pa.</st1:State></st1:place> The wagon was a mess, but the owner said he had another “55 chevy for sale. He took me to a barn and inside was the car in this picture. The reason I know it is the same car is the rear wheel wells. The owner pointed out to me that someone had taken ’55 chevy front fenders, cut out the wheel well opening, and grafted it to the rear wheel wells of this car. If you look at TMcCrea’s picture, you can see that the rear wheel wells are the same line as the fronts. I’ve done a lot of body work, and that’s quite a bit of work just to make room for some bigger rear meats!
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    The guy wanted about $2500 for the car, and I passed. Wonder what ever happened to it……..

jrstock55

els likes this.
  16. Ed Wright

Ed Wright
    from Tulsa, OK

Not real sure how anybody knows who was the first in the U.S. to do that. Ralph could have very well been the first in his area, but I do know who's Corvette FI manifold conversion Vic Edelbrock borrowed to work with early on. Carroll used the 1962 version, that had a removable top. Butch Lake's appeared to be an earlier one piece manifold with the top cut off. I don't know which one built his first. Carroll had Joe Mondello port his, as that was who was also doing his cylinder heads at that time.

els likes this.
  17. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

[​IMG]

Perfect, Thanks!

I can still hear that zillion rpm 287.

els likes this.
  18. colesy

colesy

This 53 was owned by Joey Stillings and ran H/Gas. Not sure where Joey was from but he did race in Division 3.

els likes this.
  19. L-88 camaro

L-88 camaro
    from central nj

my friend vinny barones A/SM camaro.

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  20. Larry T

Larry T

The story I heard on this (maybe here, maybe somewhere else) was that Caudle never got the manifold back, When Caudle asked Edelbrock about it, Vic said he had cut it up to get the measurements for the Edelbrock. Kinda ticked Caudle off. Later Edelbrock sent Caudle a "prototype" manifold to test. Yep, it's supposedly still at Caudle Automotive on a shelf.

els likes this.
  21. I remember a great article from many years ago on the R-M 'Vette and their(including Lee-RIP) efforts to make minimum weight for the various M/P classes they ran. Lead bisquits were popular,but illegal,yet they "found" their way into a lot of cars. Usually the first thing a competitor would mention to the tech guys, "...hey,look here(or there) for some lead on so-and-so's car";the accuser was probably running with them also,but did a "better" job of hiding them.

Yup,265+/= cubes running at 10,500 R's;those were the days. And,in a car that weighed 34-3500 lbs. Lots of parts carnage there.

This could probably qualify for the "Cheating Stories" thread,but since we were discussing M/P cars,it'll work here as well.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
    els likes this.
  22. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

......that article was called "White Line Fever" and I remember it well. It was a Car Craft article.I think when they changed class in that article they put heavy seats in it too.....

els likes this.
  23. Ed Wright

Ed Wright
    from Tulsa, OK

True story. Carroll still has it. Plywood and fiberglass construction. The fiberglass is very yellow now. Last tme I saw it was about a year ago.

els likes this.
  24. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Just the most remembered I guess?

els likes this.
  25. so would cut or radiused wheelwells be acceptable in modified production classes? or would that have kicked you into another class?

els likes this.
  26. anybody?

els likes this.
  27. DRAG.INC

DRAG.INC

Mild customizing was permitted.my car ran d/mp and had the 1/4's cut.hope that helps.

els likes this.
  28. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Mild modification to fit the tires was allowed. This was typical -

[​IMG]

els likes this.
  29. brandon

brandon

the other granny goose is behind the vette. cool shots. :D

els likes this.
  30. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Another trick used in Funnycars was to cross the scales with some lead in the seat and your jacket laying over it.:D

hendrcs and els like this.