Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech Help: SUEDE Single Stage PAINT??? Or FLATTENING Agent??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Jun 18, 2009.

1. KIRK!

KIRK!

I'm looking to paint a single stage suede blue on a non-HAMB-friendly project that needs to be mixed to a specific shade. Is there such a thing? I don't want to have to deal with flat clear.

The surface is going to be abused (off-road), so it needs to be tough and hose off easily.

Thanks!

This blue...

[​IMG]

2. phlip

phlip

Hey KIRK, flatening agent is pretty easy to use. Just go to your paint store have your color mixed, they'll give you the hardner and the flatening agent. Then just follow the directions, you can do semi gloss, semi flat or flat depending on how much you put in. You could also check hot rod flatz, the paint is pretty nice and durable. I just don't know what colors they have or if they can mix a custom color. Good Luck.

3. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yes your manx will look bitching in gulf colors.

4. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Use a lt grey catalized primer (i use pcl) and get some blue toner and mix it yourself. Should be durable??

5. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

you could just spray the base of that color, primers seam to fade faster in the sun.

spraying a base will alow you to get that exact color, hot rod flatz I think just have whats on there pallete.

6. KIRK!

KIRK!

Shhhh, don't tell anyone.

7. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Not even a little bit.

If it were me, I would get the base for the color as mentioned and use a flat clear. Spraying a flat clear is no different than spraying a flat single stage so why the dislike? Other than that, you could have that code mixed up in single stage and flattened to your liking as well.

8. KIRK!

KIRK!

One less step and I'm lazy.

9. Kirk-
    I went to the John Deere dealer and got a gallon of their semi-gloss paint, mixed it in a ratio of one part flattener to 4 parts of color. You can do the same thing with just about any industrial paint and the nice thing is it is damned cheap. I paid $21 a gallon for the paint. Also by using this set up if you want to you can use the wipe and shine type product if you want to. The paint has been on my truck for 4 years and has held up good so far.
    Later,
    Dick

10. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I used light gray PPG poly primer, mixed in some dark blue paint until I got the color I liked, its been 4 years.

[​IMG]

11. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Understood! No shame there. :D

Ya but you live in CA, where it hasn't rained in the passed 4 years. :D Looks good!

12. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

You can get a gallon of white Rustoleum, have Home Depot put a few drops of blue toner for oil-based paint in there, and roll it on. :D

It will meet all your criteria... LOL!!

Attached Files:

13. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

depending on the product you are using, the flattening agent is pretty easy. make sure you do some test panels before you paint to get the level of flat you want, it seems to me the mix always changes for different colors.

14. 29ron

29ron

15. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Try Hot Rod Flatz. Do a search on ebay, they have a ebay store. Lots of interesting colors and you just might find what you need. Not too pricey either.

16. WhoDoYouFink

WhoDoYouFink

If you go the Hot Rod Flatz route be sure you are aware that it sprays real wet (read runs like crazy if not careful). Other than that they can custom mix, because it is basically PPG Omni. TCP Global link above is the best source.

17. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

parked outside, no garage or car port, driven daily, washed every week.

18. shoebox50

shoebox50

I put flattener in my clear and it looks great and was easy.

19. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

In California. That wouldn't last a year here in our weather/climate. Some locations let you get away with certain things, thats all.

20. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I know it's an extra step....but base in the color of choice and a flat clear would be nice, as if ya ever needed to repaint an area, it would be easier...IMO ( I like base/clear though). When adding a flattening agent to a color, the "level" of sheen may be "off" if not mixed all at once....
    Hotrodflatz is the same way.....need to ensure it is mixed up very well, otherwise it may be glossier than you anticipated....

21. Kirk,

John's Phaeton is painted in flat single stage Martin Senor paint, custom mixed by the NAPA paint store here in Spokane, so it can be done. If you have any question give Russ Freund a call.

[​IMG]

22. Kirk, I painted my truck using 4 parts R-M (polyester) base, 2 parts PPG single stage reducer, 1 part PPG concept clear & 1 part PPG concept clear hardener (also added some pure pearl to the last coat). The clear and clear hardener contain uv protectors. It turned out really nice and has the exact sheen I was wanting. I painted the stock steel wheels on my sons Sonoma pickup last year, it see's the sun everyday and it has shown NO adverse effects to date.

Attached Files:

23. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

Loosewheel, that's a great color, was it custom mixed or what is it?

24. CHRIS 57

CHRIS 57
    from Upstate NY

What about wetsanding it with 2000 grit and not rubbing it. It will get rid of any orange peel or dirt and give you a nice even satin finish.

25. Thanks...I am really happy with it.
    A friend of mine owns a body shop and he gives me his old paint right before he is required by the EPA to trash it. He uses the R-M brand and what I did was mix about 12 partial qts of Honda, Toyota, Mercedes, Volvo, GM and Ford bright silver together until I had about a gallon and a half of paint. Then I mixed that with the other paints mentioned above right before I sprayed it. I made sure everything, especially the silver was stirred really well before final mixing.

26. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

Great paint story, hope you saved some for touch up!

27. skullhat

skullhat

that actually works real well. durable, and if ya change your mind, just get out the buffer.

skull

28. gup

gup
    from Washington

PPG's DBU base coat, looks great and holds up very well.[​IMG]

PapaVolume likes this.
  29. gup....that does look great. DBU what exactly does that stand for??
    something Base Urethane??

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009