Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 15 year search finally pays off!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Turbopackman, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Turbopackman

Turbopackman
    BANNED

After chasing this car for 15 years, I have finally purchased a 1948 Packard Deluxe Eight Club Sedan. Every time I got close to this car, someone bought it out from under me, about 3 times total! This time, all it took was a LOT of persuading the wife, some buttering up, and a promise that it "runs and drives". Well, it runs and drives, but needs that gas tank and radiator fixed, as well as all new brake hydraulics, lines, fuel lines, and fuel pump. So, it's "almost" there! I'll have it home in a couple of weeks, it's presently at a friend's shop getting prepped for "presentation" to the wife. This means, that when it gets here, it will be running and driving so I won't have to hear too much bitching!

Plans for the car: I'm going to add an o/d trans, floor shift, and power steering first. (Later model Packard power steering looks to be a direct fit!) Eventually, 12v, a 356 or 359 straight eight, and a/c is on the list. Also, if anyone has any parts for these I need a few, like a decent steering wheel, both door handles, and a few little odds and ends I can't think of right now.

So remember, even if the car you have been looking for for a long time gets sold out from under you, it may eventually come to be yours, but it may take a while!

Attached Files:

2. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like it finaly found a good home.

3. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

4. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

5. congrats on your new ride man..

6. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

good for you- i would n ever have lasted that long

15 years though would have made me 11 when i started looking.

7. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

I used to know a guy in the Wichita area that was into Packards. Can't remember his last name now that I am in my advanced years, but his first name was Kenny. He was into trains back when that was my main hobby.

Well, congrats!

8. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

I really like these years of Packards! Just saw one for sale less than 2 weeks ago, it was a light green 4dr model and looked good but we didn't actually stop to look at it. If anybody is interested or knows this car, I think it was northern Arkansas on 9 between Salem and Mammoth Spring, or else east of Mammoth Spring on 142 in southern Missouri. Pretty sure thats where I saw it though.

9. crashgravis

crashgravis

10. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

11. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Way to stay after it - nice lookin' ride!

12. it pays off holmes...I looked for my 56 for over 25 years before I got it........now they will bury me before it goes away..........good luck and enjoy

13. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Nice...and congrats...I have only seen one other 2dr.

14. I've never seen a 2dr before.
    Very cool.

15. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

is that the factory spot for the radio antenna? Looks cool there

16. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Way to go very cool looking car

17. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

killer car. congrats.

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

As running, driving cars go. What is that in the picture of the pan rail?

19. Turbopackman

Turbopackman
    BANNED

I feel EXACTLY the same way, this car will never be sold or traded for anything!

There's actually a couple more on eBay right now.
    Yes, and I have a couple of Hudson antennas that look almost exactly the same, and I think will interchange.

Leaves! Running and driving in a sense, it'll take some work to make it a dependable daily driver. I'm hoping to have it driving by the Automobilia car show down here in Wichita next month, I'm crossing my fingers for that one!

And thanks for all the congrats everyone, it's been a long time since I last seen this car in person, but the wait was worthwhile. Now I'm older, more experienced, and won't do some of the stupid shit I did in my youth to this car.... I'm not going to extrapolate, but you all know where I'm coming from!

BTW, here's me at 19 with the first one, the one that I wrecked:

Attached Files:

20. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

They are some pretty cool cars, I've got a 4 door for sale in the classifieds right now. I have a few of those that I've been trying to buy buy for some reason never could so feel ya!

Good Luck w/it!

21. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

That is an awesome car!!

22. NoSurf

NoSurf

HAHA! Great job Eric. She is a peach. Can't wait to see it when you get her back on the road.

Just keep this one "shiney" side up...

23. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Such cool cars, congratulations on finally getting it. Dont let it go, I did with my holy grail and will kick myself for ever.
    Doc.

24. Turbopackman

Turbopackman
    BANNED

Shiney side up is the plan, I don't want a repeat of what happened to the first one. And if I had a decent scanner, I'd scan the pics I took of the first one and show you what one of these looks like after you roll it 3 times!

This car IS my Holy Grail, and I will never let it go. I've already had 4 chances to sell it, and I've only had it since this Tuesday!

25. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

youve been looking as long as i have been alive

26. MetalFlaked60

MetalFlaked60

Thats really cool!! I'm glad I wasn't the first one to say that I've never seen a 2dr before! Congratulations!

27. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

28. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Nice car man.
    Those interiors are so big you could make some extra cash and rent some out as income property.LOL

29. Turbopackman

Turbopackman
    BANNED

I've only "seen" 2 of them here in Kansas, and I've owned them both. They're pretty rare cars, and which is why I don't want to do too many irreversible mods to it. I'm thinking about simple, reversible stuff.

30. Termites Ate my Chevy

Termites Ate my Chevy

I have a packard straigh eight if you wanna deal! Its in a 4 door parts car too. PM me for details.

Attached Files: