Register now to get rid of these ads!

got a ? about a 1950 caddy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jawdrpn36, May 23, 2009.

1. jawdrpn36

jawdrpn36
    from bay area

Whats the best way to convert disk brakes on a 1950 caddy to disk braks with out changing the clip?

2. jawdrpn36

jawdrpn36
    from bay area

3. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

4. I put disc brakes on my '49 Cad. I used rotors and calipers off a '73 fullsize Chevy. The rotors go right on the spindles. I used the old inner bearing races for spacers and surface for the inner seal to ride on. To do that a portion of the race had to be ground off to make it the right length. With the rotors in place, I mocked up the calipers, then made model brackets built up from plywood. When I had this worked out I made the brackets from steel. I did this about 18 years ago and they still work great. The car rides very well and stops just as well.
    If I can provide more help let me know.
    Alden

5. low49

low49
    from 209and408

6. I went to the link for Scarebirds. That looks like a good way to go, as the engineering and fabrication are already done for you. Really that's a pretty good value.
    Alden

7. r8odecay

r8odecay

What M/C did you use? thanks for the info Alden...

8. low49

low49
    from 209and408

9. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

There was a article in street rodder a couple months back about putting discs on a Caddy, not sure how far back they went though. I do remember it was using later Caddy parts.

10. r8odecay

r8odecay

yeah, Scarebird makes the brackets for the conversion, and if memory serves it takes something like 71 - 76 Caddy RWD front calipers. I'm planning on doing this next winter, but I want to find a dual pot M/C that mounts in the stock location, but I'm not having any luck so far; odd ball mounting holes.