Register now to get rid of these ads!

Attn ford guru's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C5Cruiser, Jun 17, 2009.

1. I have a 61 T-Bird that only has an ignition key. Is there a place that I can order a trunk key without having to go through lock smith?
    I'm a Corvette fan and a vin number and a quick email to the Corvette Museum and a key will be on the way.

While on the subject, is there a place I can get the original build sheet and invoice for the Bird as I have with my Vette?

Thanks. :cool:

2. If you can get the trunk open. You might take the lock cyl. out and look it over. The code may be stamped on it. On some GM the code is stamped on the shaft that the tumbler turns that opens the latch.

3. No joke but they also want a fax of a current registration. They give you a code that a locksmith can interpit how also wants to see the registration. Yeah it's some hoops you may have to jump through but it's cheaper than having the same locksmith re-key the trunk, doors and glove box but I do see your point. ;)

4. If you can remove the trunk lock assy, take it to the locksmith place. The guy out here just raised his price to $15 from $9.

It should cost about the same over there.

5. Can some one confirn the glovebox key is the same as the trunk? I have the same problem but might end up just taking the car to the locksmith.

6. I used to put wallet and stuff in the 50 Ford Sedan glove box when I was at the beach.

Faithfully locked it.

One day I was under the dash and realized the glove compartment was nothing more than black cardboard....:(:eek:

Is your 57 the same?

The Ford glovebox key is usually the same as the trunk.

7. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

?
    I'm a Corvette fan and a vin number and a quick email to the Corvette Museum and a key will be on the way.

Why lock a plastic car?

8. BJR

BJR

Pull the glove box lock I believe the number to cut the key are stamped on it. It should be the same as the trunk lock.

9. Been there, done that.

10. I can handle $15.

11. That will be a snap then.
    Thanks!

12. Even though the glove box and trunk are supposed to be keyed the same, pull the rear seats out. Get the spare tire out of the way. Use a 9/16" socket wrench and a lot of long extensions, and remove two bolts that hold the latch plate to the body. Open the trunk, and disassemble/remove the emblem so that you can take the assembly to the locksmith. New lock cylinders w/keys are available from T-bird parts vendors that specialize in '58-'66 models, and for that matter so are the emblems/retainers, so if you trash the one you have you can always spend more for a replacement.

More info can be found by searching the Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.'s forum at www.vintagethunderbirdclub.org

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  13. IIRC, some glovebox locks do not have all the tumblers, getting by with just three out of five (or six). So I would not trust that route.
    Cosmo

14. 61TBird

61TBird

First off,do what Yutan Flash suggests,he is THE man with all things Thunderbird.

Yes,the glove box key should be the same as the trunk key.

For a build sheet/invoice,the closest you'll get for a '61 is the ROT sheet that's usually tucked in the springs of the back seat.
    That's where mine was.
    Here's a link that explains why no Invoices for pre-62 Thunderbirds exist.
    http://www.martiauto.com/eminger2.cfm

I replaced my missing trunk lock for $15 (includes 2 keys) from Thunderbird Headquarters.

I checked your profile and saw that you have a Convertible.is that the car your looking for advice on???

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  15. The 61 convert would be the one.

16. Sorry, getting into the back isn't a problem. I can open the truck by just flipping the switch for the convertable top. I just want to get the key because it unlocks the doors, glove box and operate the top from the outside..