Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paint needed in So Cal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C5Cruiser, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Like everyone else now a days, funds are a little low and the project car needs a paint job. It has minor body work to be done (one small soft dent and a little cancer on the rear panel) just some sanding and prep work.
    We're just thinking of a coat of primer sould do the trick to keep the cost down.

Next to the use of a spray can dose anyone know of someone or a shop in Southern California (Riverside area) that can do it cheap cheap cheap!?! :confused:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. It looks good enough from here, so why primer it instead of leaving it painted?

3. sherrys55caddy

sherrys55caddy

I 2nd that....

4. duste01

duste01

Dont start on it unless you can finish it. Primer will suck up moisture and it will rust anyway. You have to seal it and paint it to keep it from rusting, so you might as well finish it as to start.

5. hemifarris

hemifarris

I'd go with a good wheel out, polish and brush touch up until you can afford to do it properly........

6. The paint on that car looks good, buff it or take it to a detail shop.

7. fasttimes

fasttimes
    from NC

I would just go find some System One Polish and buff it out, till you are ready for a complete paint job. At least you get to have fun driving around.

8. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

All's I have to say is the same thing everybody else has already said.

The car doesn't look bad at all. Clean up what's there for now. If you want a real nice paint job start saving for it and enjoy the car in the meantime.

9. send_it_all

send_it_all

Paint jobs and heart transplants shouldn't go to the lowest bidder. Car looks fine for now. Just drive it.

10. The paint is peeling on the hood and the trunk has some small rust spots. I figured that primer would be cheaper.

11. Good point.

12. I was going to do that this weekend. I have no plans so I may as well get cracking. How knows some on the wax may stop the small rust spots from getting bigger on the trunk.
    I just have to work on the rear quarter panel. It has about a 5 eraser sized holes I need to patch up.

13. And I still am trying to convince my wife to go straight pipes just to cruise around with. Or get me a pair of Smithys for fathers day. :D

14. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

looks good,some fat whites and slammed ,you wont notice the paint.

15. I really wish the tires weren't new. I would love a set of wide white walls. Slamming it would be something I want to do but later. I'm looking at Craigslist for some used (but in good shape) lake pipes to give it that lower look.

16. Some of the chrome looks like it's never seen any polish. I was going to use some polishing compound and a buffer followed with a good coat of wax. Anyone use Flix or some of the stuff Mothers has for chrome?

17. Special Ed

Special Ed

Use 0000 steel wool on your chrome. Dry.

18. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

The Mothers chrome stuff is real good. so is the powerball.

Also, just put 3" blocks out back and heat the coils on the front. that's what I did to mine 4 years ago and it's riding just fine.

[​IMG]

19. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

You could lower that car in an afternoon. Why wait?

20. Special Ed

Special Ed

Don't put widewhites on your 'bird. Your car was built in the transition year from wide to thin walls. Keep it period correct. Keep the look you have...

21. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

I use this stuff from ACE hardware called The Must for Rust in a spray bottle. Spray it on, let it sit for a minute and then wax it out.

I think it's some kind of citrus product??

Anyway, I'm with the others. Get a little touch-up and leave it a very small job. The people today will just ruin it by yanking the chrome off.

Wait till you have money, and even then you'll probably decide to leave it alone.

22. Period correct it is. It is all original but I'm at the crossroad. "Do I keep it all original or do I replace things with cooler more hip replacement parts?"

Here's an example; I want to replace the steering wheel with an after market (Mooneyes) one because the one on the car is shot to hell and is as big as one found on a bus and a replacement wheel is a bit pricy if you can find one.

23. The Must for Rust is a new one for me. Hell I'll give it a shot. Someone said 0000 sleetwool. I may use that on some of the real bad parts.
    You guys may be right on the paint tho. I'll buff out the paint and give it a good coat of wax. Maybe I can take Saturday off and hopfully my wife won't want to hijack me to Vegas. I GOT THINGS TO DO!

24. The power ball is all I've seen around here. Except for Chip Foose I don't know of anyone using it. I guess I'll be heading to the parts store and doin some shoppin.
    Nice Square Bird. My favorite Bird body style. ;)

25. Well it's Monday and I'm heading out to work on the chrome and paint. Clean up the chrome with some of your ideas and help and rub it out the paint and throw on a coat of wax.
    I would have yesterday but the wife wanted to go to the Hot Rod show in Pomona. I got to meet George Barris and Henry Winkler and met the owner of Hollywood Customs. It turns out that the Black Widow is for sale all ready. I didn't ask how much though.
    Nice guys all.

26. TRAMPKING

TRAMPKING
    from SGV

decon designs 909 781 3267 chris tell him art from mad kustomz refered u

27. DONE! My fingers, hands and forearms are cramping. Looks good tho. Found some cracks in the paint as I really went through it. but from 10 feet away it looks cool. :cool:
    The regulator got here today also and it's on. It did tell me one thing, the gen is shot! Larry's T-Bird doesn't have one but they have mine rebuilt and have it back in two days. Damn I hope it on the road this weekend.

28. Special Ed

Special Ed

Good for you....Drive that bad 'bird!

29. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Earl scheibb! UNDER 1000$!! Not show quality but for a driver, it's OK!!

[​IMG]

Ian

30. The Blurr

The Blurr

If you do not mind me asking what color is that?